Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

professional cover required in bristol

lorrainelorraine Trusted RegularRegistered Posts: 400
Hi there

I live in Bristol and want to become a Member In Practice, I am currently working in an accounts office full time for the past 2.5yrs, i would like to start doing some bookkeeping from home (start small at first, dip into the shallow end i hope) with the intention of the business growing fingers crossed. I have became a Full AAT Member in September after getting my final exam passes in August this year. Im currently doing an all round accounts job including vat, payroll, sales ledger, purchase ledger, credit control, payroll year end, ive probably missed somethings off here. I would like to offer bookkeeping services and possibly more when I feel more confident going alone. would there be anyone out there who would be able to provide this cover for me please.

Any help much appreciated, Lorraine


  • pinksponkpinksponk Feels At Home Registered Posts: 57
    If its possible to carry out professional cover from a distance and I don't see why not, I am on South Coast but we have Royal mail, phone and Email. Im looking for professional cover too, perhaps we can help each other out.
  • lorrainelorraine Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 400
    Hi Pinksponk,

    Thank you for the reply, I agree the distance wouldn't be a problem as you mentioned, I think it would be a good idea if you could send me your details and I will send you mine so that I can put you down as my professional cover and you can put me down likewise.

    The details I need are:
    Membership no:

    My personal email address for you to contact me on is or if you need any more info: [email protected]


    Lorraine Stevens MAAT
  • lorrainelorraine Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 400
    One other thing, what type of services will you need covered for and what is your background in regards to your experience just so that I can make sure that we are both compatible to offer each other Professional Cover.

    You can contact me by my personal email if you wish to discuss this further.


  • DeanDean Experienced Mentor DevonRegistered Posts: 646
    Being pedantic:

    What is 'Professional cover'?

    Are you trying to put together a 'Continuity of Practice' plan? Click here


    Dean :tongue_smilie:
  • deanshepherddeanshepherd Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,809
    Continuity of Practice is the AAT's new moniker for professional cover..

    ..but I'm sure you knew that already Dean. ;)

    From my own experience I would always recommend trying to find a professional nominee that resides close to you. Even better if you can give each other a guided tour of your practice. If you ever have to call on the nominee it is going to be very difficult for them to try and run your practice unaided from a distance. It will be hard enough for them to do so even if they are local, given that they are unlikely to have any previous knowledge of your clients or procedures.

    I meet up with my nominee once a year to make sure that our relationship is more than just a name on a bit of paper to satisfy the AAT requirement.
  • DeanDean Experienced Mentor DevonRegistered Posts: 646
    Continuity of Practice is the AAT's new moniker for professional cover..

    ..but I'm sure you knew that already Dean. ;)

    I just hate change - don't you?!


  • PoodlePoodle Experienced Mentor Registered Posts: 711
    It's good to have you 'both' active on this forum again:001_smile:

    I wish the AAT would ping the MIP's an email when they change things like this, or do they.......

    They changed the sample letter of engagement in September I only knew because I read an article on changes required to these documents on another forum and then went to have a look.

  • lorrainelorraine Trusted Regular Registered Posts: 400
    Okay, thanks for the advice, I still require Professional Cover/Continuity of Practice and would rather do it the way that would be more worth while and easier if the professional cover is actually required and for some unforeseen reason who knows what may happen., this makes perfect sense. I would be extremely grateful if someone would be so kind to help :001_tt2:

    Yes and it would be a lot more practical like you said if its someone who is situated near by.:thumbup1:

    Thanks again for your advice.

Sign In or Register to comment.