Return On Capital Employed And Return On Equity Employed

Options
Celtic Angel
Celtic Angel Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
Can anyone clarify for me the following

Return on Capital Employed = Profit before tax and interest / Equity plus Long Term Loans all multiplied by 100 to get a percentage - is this correct?

Return on Equity = Profit before tax and interest/Equity multiplied by 100 to get a percentage - is this correct as an answer to a question I had yesterday indicated that the profit figure you use is before tax BUT after interest - can someone tell me which one is correct as now getting a little bit confused!:confused1:

Comments

• SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Your quote:
    Return on Equity = Profit before tax and interest/Equity multiplied by 100 to get a percentage
    I would use
    Return on Equity = Profit after tax and interest/Equity multiplied by 100 to get a percentage
    Afterall we are looking for how much the shareholders have had as a return on their investment, and they don't get their money until the interest has been paid and the tax determined.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Celtic Angel
    Celtic Angel Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Thanks Sandy

I'll now attempt to reteach myself that equation LOL

I assume the one I had for Capital Employed was correct?

I failed the DFS exam on section 2 in June and am driving myself nuts trying not only to learn the ratios but also to fully understand what they are but sometimes I lose the logic thread - thanks for your help
Privacy Policy