Another newbie!

number cruncher
number cruncher Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
Hi all, I see from the older threads that you're a rather helpful bunch, so I'm hoping you'll extend your assistance to me too.

I'm soon going to be taking redundancy from my long-term employer and plan to do some temping to gain wider experience before looking for an industry position to make the most of my recent CIMA exemptions. As I've been working within a large plc, my 'finance' experience crosses a lot with admin and has been within the company systems so I don't feel I have much real practical experience of financial accounting.

In the meantime, several friends / colleagues etc have offered to put some work my way, doing income tax and CIS return etc. I was debating whether it would be worth the hassle of registering as an MIP for what may turn out to be little actual gainful work. HOWEVER.....
My employer will probably reimburse me for the cost of my MIP registration / subscription and possibly even some PI insurance as part of my redundancy package. So I'd really appreciate some advice or guidance with the setup process of a new micro-practice.

All suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.


  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646
    Simple a quick answer...

    If you intend to do self-employed work and make reference to your AAT qualification, whether it be 'worth the hassle' or not - you must be a registered and licenced by the AAT as a Member In Practice.

    Being registered shows your clients' you are committed to the profession; you are regulated by a professional body, you retain CPD records, your licence shows the areas of expertise etc. It enhances your overall status and ensure trust in the daily public you deal with.


  • LouiseR
    LouiseR Registered Posts: 59 💫 🐯 💫
    I think you are allowed to earn up to £1000 per year without registering as a MIP, I think you have to gain an exemption from the AAT though. Have a look at this:
Privacy Policy