Lack of Experience

Options
dalev
dalev Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
Can anyone put a positive spin on this -

The boards seem to be full of people who can't find jobs (present economic situation aside) after becoming AAT qualified WITHOUT experience.

If you found work after qualifying and without experience or know of anybody who did please let the rest of us know - as I'm hoping the messages on here are skewed towards though that haven't been lucky enough to find employment.

I for one am thinking about giving it up if the probability of getting a job is really that low

Cheers

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi Dalev

I think you have to look at it this way, the AAT is not just for accountancy firms but can be used in most different job placements, departments and also showing to any future employer that you a motivated enough to commet to a programme of education.

I am one of the lucky ones i was working in an accountants before starting the AAT but that also has its disadvantages and am considering looking in to industry for another job.

Hang in there and dont give up is all i can say the best of luck in any future career choice you do make :thumbup1:

Vic
  • Victoria
    Victoria Registered Posts: 18 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    hello,

i too was one of the lucky ones who got an accounts job before as they wanted someone to do the AAT. i had no experience.

so there are jobs out there just keep trying and keep your head up. all good things come to those who wait! good luck!

victoria x
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I started a work experience placement when I started foundation. I carried it on into intermediate (even though I didn't have to for the course) and it was because of that that I indirectly found the job i am in now (and have been for the last 7 years).

So I didn't have an accountancy job when I started, but you need to get in as soon as you can. I believe it gets more difficult the further up the qualification that you go.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    well it took me 18 months of email agencies and letter ...bt istarted this week

so there is hope for people out there. but have to pt in the letters and time ...

good luck anyway !!
  • atlan
    atlan Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi All

I was one of the lucky ones too :)

I studied foundation and Intermediate full time in a year through a fast-track course at my local college. At the end of that year (well 9 months really!!) I applied for loads of jobs both in practice and commerce. I had loads and loads of rejections and then my friend told me his auditors were looking for someone in their outsourcing department - my friend gave them my cv, they called me and interviewed me and I got the job and it included study!!

Would just like to say to all of those companies whom I wrote to and they rejected me without interview................... Mistake, big mistake!! :biggrin:

To all those people out there who are starting out or just unhappy with their current job - don't give up, with a little patience and self-belief it will all come your way :thumbup:
  • teakay25
    teakay25 Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    when I went back to work after maternity leave they couldn't keep my old job open so I had to look for a part time role for the experience while studying AAT Technician, I went through the yellow pages and sent letters to the Accountancy Practices in my area, saying I was studying and looking for a part time role and if they couldn't help me, if they new anyone who could and please could they pass my cv on. This paid off because after about 3 month's I received a phone call from an Accountant who had received my CV from a friend who was also an accountant as she had just set up a practice and I went for an interview and got the job!

So basically after all my rambling hang on in there! and good luck:thumbup1:
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Last time I looked on vacancies at the AAT on the main pages of this website I saw that the AAT was looking for a finance manager with an AAT qualification:001_smile:

But you would have to hurry because the closing date is very soon

Poodle
  • atlan
    atlan Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    teakay25 wrote: Β»
    when I went back to work after maternity leave they couldn't keep my old job open so I had to look for a part time role for the experience while studying AAT Technician, I went through the yellow pages and sent letters to the Accountancy Practices in my area, saying I was studying and looking for a part time role and if they couldn't help me, if they new anyone who could and please could they pass my cv on. This paid off because after about 3 month's I received a phone call from an Accountant who had received my CV from a friend who was also an accountant as she had just set up a practice and I went for an interview and got the job!

So basically after all my rambling hang on in there! and good luck:thumbup1:

Well done Teakay! :thumbup:

More proof that we can succeed, we just need to keep on trying :001_smile:
Privacy Policy