dfs exam

mark130273
mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
is anyone taking the dfs exam in dec? seems like everyone is doing the other papers !!!

Comments

• Chris023
    Chris023 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor โญ
    Hey mate

I am doing DFS & PEV &.....PCR oh deep joy :laugh:
  • mark130273
    good luck for all them ?
  • Chris023
    Chris023 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor โญ
    Yep I am panicking too

it is trying to shove all this information into your brain and remember it!

I am ok at the pratical bits in DFS but I am having trouble remembering the definitions for all the IAS' I think I am going to do what another member on the boards suggested and put them on Index Cards
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I'm doing dfs and pcr, and panicing like mad.
  • mark130273
    Yep I am panicking too

it is trying to shove all this information into your brain and remember it!

I am ok at the pratical bits in DFS but I am having trouble remembering the definitions for all the IAS' I think I am going to do what another member on the boards suggested and put them on Index Cards

someone told me to do that ages ago ? but havent . not worried .surely they will only ask one or 2 questions about them ?

get the rest right and worry about them last ?
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hmmm... not so sure that's a good idea Mark since at DFS level, you're gonna be tested on your ability to comment on the accounts as much as you your ability to prepare them, hence the IAS's and section two. From memory, from Foundation to Intermediate you really only concentrate on preparation while at Technician you need to go beyond this and start being able to 'read' them. Since at this stage you may now be employed in an accounts role and thus in a position to start giving advice to others, it's only fair that this application knowledge becomes tested at some point and DFS starts to do this.

So you could learn the IAS's last if you like but if the marker of your paper was to sense your application knowledge is critically weak, you could be treading a fine line between marginal pass and marginal fail. So my advice would be to not underestimate the written questions too much. You may not get your balance sheet to balance (mine didn't when I did the exam!) but you'll still rescue marks if your methods are largely sound. However if you were to give completely erroneous advice in a written question which do you think could be viewed as worse?

Anyway, good luck for the coming exams.
  • Tiffers81
    Tiffers81 Registered Posts: 2 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    I am for the second time. Failed it in June only due to the second section.

Having trouble remembering the reconcilation to cash flow proforma any idseas how to remember it!? Oh and a little birdie told me to concentrate on the framework for the preparation and presentation of Finacial Statements not individual IAS standards. You won't remember them all so no point trying.
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    lessci wrote: ยป
    I'm doing dfs and pcr, and panicing like mad.

See even my spellings gone to pot!!
Privacy Policy