Full Membership

StevenMorgetroyd
StevenMorgetroyd Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
Hi guys,

I completed the AAT in the summer :thumbup:

I am being pushed to pay for the full membership, but I'm not seeing many benefits for my money. Ok so I get the letters, the magazines, a network of other MAAT's and some CBD (which my company provide anyway) but for £69/year of my hard earned money, I'm not convinced.

So for those of you that have paid for the full membership, (and without trying to sound a bit arsey), do you think that it's worthwhile?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• pinksponk
    pinksponk Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    To be perfectly honest it was sheer snobbery that made me happy to part with the fee, for the MAAT status after my name. I expect the novelty will have worn off by the next time I have to pay it.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I think you should ask yourself what benefit you wanted to gain from undertaking the study in the first place.

If that benefit still applies then become a member and pay your fee, if not, then don't.

For me, the annual charge more than covers the benefits I get on an annual basis such as attending the many free events that are put on by the AAT, by attending the many free events put on by the various AAT branches, by attending the comparatively cheap CPD courses put on by the AAT, use of the free technical helpline and of course the magazine which serves as useful bathroom fodder.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    .... and of course the magazine which serves as useful bathroom fodder.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, they understand at work what I mean when I say I'm going to do 5 minutes CPD!!
  • lgarside
    lgarside Registered Posts: 122 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Full Membership

Hello I'm in the same situation!! How much CPD do you do? If I was to do an in house excel training course would this be sufficient for a years CPD? The CPD issue is so ambigious!!!!
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    lgarside wrote: »
    Hello I'm in the same situation!! How much CPD do you do? If I was to do an in house excel training course would this be sufficient for a years CPD? The CPD issue is so ambigious!!!!

If, for that year you feel that is the only thing you need to improve or keep up to date to fulfil your employment then, yes would be the answer. It is about self appraisal and actively doing something to improve your skills.

Regards

Dean
  • mowzer
    mowzer Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    I know a few members on here are studying towards further qualifications, does anyone know if this counts towards CPD? It'll be pretty handy if it does
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    I know it mentions it on the website somewhere, and I think I've also had an e-mail from the AAT that further, relevant study counts towards CPD, so your ACA will cover this. Hope so anyway because I've not been doing any other CPD either!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Yes, further study more than adequately covers your CPD requirements. Remember to document it in your CPD planning cycle!
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I started applying for full membershp then found that the website stated that, for teachers, the work experience counted only if they were teaching at NVQ3 or above - so I cancelled my applciation. Recently, I was checking out the AAT site again and noticed that the NVQ3 requirement had now been downgraded to just NVQ level - so I might re-apply and see how my 6 hours teaching and 4 hours church treasury work (all voluntary) a week will count towards work experience! I don't really want the MAATafter my name (although it woudl be nice to have something to show for my 3 years hard slog) but I just think I should be a member as I am now a supporting tutor at my old centre (voluntarily I might add).
Privacy Policy