Are we allowed to discuss the colleges we attend?

twinmeister
twinmeister Registered Posts: 122 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Just interested to get feedback on how others find studying at colleges around the country?

In particular, if you are studying NVQ3 how many hours you attend college for each week, how many are in you group and how you find the tutors teaching style?

Is that allowed on this forum?

Comments

• any2002uk
    any2002uk Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    i go to college one day for 6 hours in uk
  • CJC77
    CJC77 Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor ⭐
    I go to college 2 nights a week from 6 til 9. Our tutor is good, but very stuck in her ways - she won't teach alternative methods, even just once, if she doesn't understand them,

i.e - she was reviewing with the class what goes on the Dr and Cr side, and I said that some people in the class may find the 'DEAD CLIC' acronym easy to remember (I certainly did), but she refused to even mention it as she doesn't like acronyms.

Also,,,,she teaches how to calculate figure net of VAT purely as Gross / 117.5 x 100 - now while that is correct, it confuses some of us who, during the foundation year where taught the gross / 47 x 40 method.

Sometimes, I stop listening to her so she doesn't replace what I already know with stuff that may confuse me
  • twinmeister
    Did you start Intermediate in September? We studied ECR - Unit 6 all this term for 4 hours per week. Other people on this forum seem to have studied ECR and FRA simultaneously and taken both exams this week. Is that normal? I would find that really challenging to the point my head might explode!

I moved from down south during the summer, so I completed my Foundation at Milton Keynes College. I have been attending South Cheshire College since September and on the whole they are comparable, the only difference seems to be the students on the course and the hours of study. Finding 4 hours a week means we have to cram quite heavily, plus the college is being re-bulit so we are squashed like sardines into a tiny room, where we regularly get disturbed by the high junks in the 'Tourism' class next door.

Last year my fellow students were predominantly self-funded women looking to return to work or gain skills to get better jobs. This year I seem to be one of only a few who are not sponsored by employers or something called Total People.

I agree about somethimes shutting out what your tutor says and going your own way, but I much prefer having a tutor to ask questions.

Interested to know how distance learners manage? Also is FRA harder than ECR? If so next term could be challenging!
  • twinmeister
    err that should read high jinks:wink::wink:
  • square-peg
    square-peg Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Interested to know how distance learners manage? Also is FRA harder than ECR? If so next term could be challenging!

I have just taken my FRA exam, and passed my ECR in the June sitting, and I found FRA easier than ECR, although both were ok. I study by distance learning, with Eastleigh College. They have downloadable lectures, but I find I just use the books in the main. I find it a good method of studying for me.
  • definite.studies
    definite.studies Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    CJC77 wrote: »
    I go to college 2 nights a week from 6 til 9. Our tutor is good, but very stuck in her ways - she won't teach alternative methods, even just once, if she doesn't understand them, [..........]

Also,,,,she teaches how to calculate figure net of VAT purely as Gross / 117.5 x 100 - now while that is correct, it confuses some of us who, during the foundation year where taught the gross / 47 x 40method.

Sometimes, I stop listening to her so she doesn't replace what I already know with stuff that may confuse me

I do sympathise with your annoyance at having confusing stuff to learn. With me it's people's names, so I hate meeting people who have the same name as people I already know or who look like people I know but have different names. If people made more effort to look like they should according to their names, then life would be so much easier!!! :001_smile:

Now we have the gross / 23 x 20 method to learn and the gross / 47 x 40 to forget, of course. Then after 13 months it will be back as you were!!! :mad2:
Privacy Policy