A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
and it was lovely :001_tt2:

Comments

• A-Vic
    I may even have another
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I shall be baking a dollop of mince pies and jam tarts this weekend. Can't beat the taste of a home made mince pie!!!

Those who can, bake, those who can't, go to asda
  • A-Vic
    I shall be baking a dollop of mince pies and jam tarts this weekend. Can't beat the taste of a home made mince pie!!!

here here
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I'm making some too this weekend!!

First time doing it...Just bought my mince from tesco...

any tips on making the pastry? I can see it being a disaster!!
  • farmergiles
    Cold hands! good butter and good quality flour. If you like it really short and crumbly, put a beaten egg yolk and some castor/icing sugar in as well.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Cold hands! good butter and good quality flour. If you like it really short and crumbly, put a beaten egg yolk and some castor/icing sugar in as well.

Eat your heart out Jamie Oliver.....................we have our own...naked chef here:lol::lol:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Never used an egg in pasty but cold hands (cold everything in fact) is definitely the way to go. Bit of sugar in the mix and dust some icing sugar on the top before baking. And a dollop of good Cornish clotted cream when you're eating them is a must.

I've a mind to make a stollen this year. Been making bread a lot lately so it might not be a complete disaster.
  • A-Vic
    CJC wrote: ยป
    Never used an egg in pasty but cold hands (cold everything in fact) is definitely the way to go. Bit of sugar in the mix and dust some icing sugar on the top before baking. And a dollop of good Cornish clotted cream when you're eating them is a must.

I've a mind to make a stollen this year. Been making bread a lot lately so it might not be a complete disaster.

am off here this xmas stollen is my fav please dont forget marzipan roll in the middle
  • farmergiles
    Never used an egg in pasty

Use the egg with a bit of milk to mix, instead of water. Makes the pastry sweeter and shorter
  • Diannew
    Never used an egg in pasty

Use the egg with a bit of milk to mix, instead of water. Makes the pastry sweeter and shorter

Or go to Sansbury's and buy them off the shelf:001_tt2:
  • A-Vic

Or go to Sansbury's and buy them off the shelf:001_tt2:

lol lazy bones
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It's more fun to make your own
  • Diannew
    It's more fun to make your own

Not as much fun as throwing a pot like in the film ghost................:lol::lol:
  • farmergiles
    There she goes with her pot throwing, I think she's obsessed with the film.....lol
  • farmergiles
    Eat your heart out Jamie Oliver.....................we have our own...naked chef here:lol::lol:

Not a pretty sight!!!!!
  • Diannew
    There she goes with her pot throwing, I think she's obsessed with the film.....lol

Come closer Mr Wolf..............said little red riding hood............or was it the other way around:lol::lol:
  • farmergiles
    On my way, little red riding hood
  • Diannew
    On my way, little red riding hood

Don't forget to get dressed.............it's cold out there Oliver...........:001_tt2:
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Er, to bring it back to the baking theme,

I always add ground almonds to the pastry, substitute some of the flour for the almonds and it gives a lovely subtle nutty flavour. Say in a ratio of 2:1, flour to almonds.

I usually add some grated bramley apple, nibbed almonds and a slosh of brandy to the mince. I throw in extra fruit if I have any open, but chop the cherries so they are very small.

I make the pastry first, chill it for a little while I prepare the filling.

(Good unsalted butter and cold hands....definitel agree with FG and CJC)
  • farmergiles
    I agree the pastry needs to chill in the fridge for a good half hour.
    I do tend to make it with the old kenwood these days, wrists not as good as they used to be!!!
  • JJ43
    JJ43 Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor โญ
    Give a fleeting thought to all those diabetic aat students/mip etc., Christmas can be a very traumatic time.... do I stuff myself silly with my once favourite mince pies, chocolate log, kiddies selection boxes and green triangles !!!! or do I sensibly look the other way ????

Christmas comes but once a year.... I stuff myself silly of course and then behave throughout the year !
  • farmergiles
    FG is a type 2 diabetic as well. As long as you are careful and take things in moderation, there is no reason why diabetics can't enjoy the festive season as much as everyone else.
    Merry Xmas to everyone
Privacy Policy