AACA Discussion Forums

Options
*Sarah*
*Sarah* Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hey All

Am hopefully starting ACCA this year however I really find the support of the forums helpful and was wondering if anyone knew of any ACCA ones? Have had a look by the only ones I have found are not used regularly like these ones are. Be a shame if there are not any as I will miss using them

Sarah

Comments

• *Sarah*
    Options
    sorry title should read ACCA!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Try www.accountancystudents.co.uk as there is a thriving ACCA community there.
  • *Sarah*
    Options
    Thanks very much BlueWednesday

Do you by any chance how I would go about finding out where I can sit my exams if I am studying by distance learning and not with a college? Just had a quick browse on those forums and there is a thread saying that you can only sit them at the London centres stated on the ACCA website (which I believe is 4). Never realised this was the case, I've sat all mt AAT exams at a Kaplan college

• Bluewednesday
    Options
    You can only sit them where ACCA hold sittings!

I live in Milton Keynes but had to sit exams in Leicester. However if you are looking at London there are plenty of centres in London. Some people I went to courses with went to Wembley but there are others.

The ACCA website should give you the list of centres as you've already seen, I'm not aware of any venues in Kaplan or BPP centres.

ACCA is very different to AAT in that respect
  • *Sarah*
    Options
    Thats really helpful, thank you. I live in St Albans so not too far from you. I had a look on the ACCA website for Hertfordshire area venues but the closest I could see where the 4 london ones. Is strange that there are only 4 for the whole of london because there must be a fair few people wanting to sit the exams in that area. Like you say ACCA is appearing quite different to AAT in quite a few ways so is taking a while to get my head round it so I appreciate your help

Have joint the accountancystudent discussiong forums now, thanks
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    Is Stevenage any good to you? Some people on my courses went there too.
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Acca

Hey Sarah,

I'm seriously thinking about studying towards ACCA this year.

What do you think about CIMA though? Do you think ACCA or CIMA would be the better qualification to get?

Also have you any idea of how much classroom tuition costs?

Thanks

Mark
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Sorry dont want to hijack thread but saw this:
    Overall Contributor of the Year Bluewednesday

Technical Contributor of the Year Bluewednesday

Helpful Contributor of the Year Bluewednesday
    All info on the Acca forum address given above.

Well done Bluewednesday!!

:thumbup:
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    Why thank you
  • *Sarah*
    Options
    Is Stevenage any good to you? Some people on my courses went there too.

Ah Stevenage could work, didn't see that one on the list, will have to have another look at it
    Mark057 wrote:
    Hey Sarah,

I'm seriously thinking about studying towards ACCA this year.

What do you think about CIMA though? Do you think ACCA or CIMA would be the better qualification to get?

Also have you any idea of how much classroom tuition costs?

Thanks

Mark .

Hi Mark

Personally I have decided to go for ACCA over CIMA as I am not entirely sure which area of accounts I want to go into yet and I felt that ACCA was more broader than CIMA. I did however like the look of the CIMA syllabus. I guess it just depends what sort of thing you are looking to go into really

Sarah
  • mark057
    Options
    Hey Sarah,

I think ACCA is for me to be honest.

The syllabus does seem to give a broad range of accountancy options.

I've certainly enjoyed financial accountancy more than management accountancy during AAT and I've been told there is a lot of cost accounting invloved in CIMA.

Good luck with your studies.

Mark
  • *Sarah*
    Options
    Hi Mark

I would say that if you prefer financial accounting to management accounting then ACCA id probably better for you than CIMA

Thanks, good luck to you too. Do you have many more exams to sit? I've completed everything now just awaiting MAC results in Feb

Sarah
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    do they do aca too ?
  • mark057
    Options
    Hey Sarah,

I've got all my exams done. Sat PEV, DFS, BTS and PCR in one siting. Bloody hard work.

I'm just putting some finishing touches to my project and will complete my auditing skills test in a week or two.

Hey Mark. Aca is an option but you need a training contract with an employer. The ACCA offers good flexibility I think and can be done over three years.

Thanks

Mark
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    well think my boss might be willing to do that...well he said that in the interview in september? so im hoping hes going to put me through it ?
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    You can only sit them where ACCA hold sittings!

Does this only apply to distance learners or does it apply to colleges too?
    I'm hoping to go onto ACCA next but studying at college. Will I be able to take the exams at the college or will I have to go to an ACCA centre?

Thanks!
  • *Sarah*
    Options
    Does this only apply to distance learners or does it apply to colleges too?
    I'm hoping to go onto ACCA next but studying at college. Will I be able to take the exams at the college or will I have to go to an ACCA centre?

Thanks!

Hi Rozzi

Nope this applies to all ACCA studiers apparently

Sarah
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Thanks Sarah.
    Seems strange not being able to take exams at the place you study. At least I'm now prepared for the extra travelling on exam days!
  • *Sarah*
    Options
    Yeah I had no idea it worked that way either, just assummed you could sit them at college just like with AAT
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    ACCA are much more remote from the colleges than AAT are but it means that you can self study with just the books which you can't do for AAT units that require skills tests.
  • mark057
    Options
    It's a real shame ACCA or CIMA are not provided for through the normal college networks.

I have looked a BPP and Kaplan but my nearest centre is Liverpool is miles. These courses are also very expensive, particularly as I have no employer support financially.

I wonder why colleges are not offering these courses?

Mark
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    Some colleges do, I know Milton Keynes college offers CIMA.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I chose CIMA simply because having spoken to people in many different types of business, I learned that CIMA is allegedly becoming the more desired qualification from an employers point of view, and that even included people I know who work in public services / local authorities.

Paul
Privacy Policy