Client to sign off tax return?

KateM
KateM Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
Hi everyone

...I have prepared a tax return (using HMRC online and not tax software at mo.) and am ready for my client to approve it before I submit it online. Should I obtain a signature from him to say he has approved it (my guess is yes) and is there a format or template letter that anyone else uses for this purpose?

Thanks!

Kate

Comments

• Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    KateM wrote: »
    Hi everyone

...I have prepared a tax return (using HMRC online and not tax software at mo.) and am ready for my client to approve it before I submit it online. Should I obtain a signature from him to say he has approved it (my guess is yes) and is there a format or template letter that anyone else uses for this purpose?

Thanks!

Kate

Could you not just print off a paper copy of the return, get them to sign that and keep it in you records.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I do a declaration for my clients to sign, sending it to them with a copy of the Tax Return (before submission), which basically states that they are in agreement with its content and would like me to submit it. Oh and I ask for payment too!
  • claudialowe
    claudialowe Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I normallyget them to sign the actual return, or if I have emailed a pdf, then I print off a copy of the email saying that they authorise me to submit on their behalf.

What I send is along the lines of:

"enclosed/attached is your tax return. Information disclosed in your tax return is your responsibility. I should be grateful if you would carefully examine your tax return to ensure that all your income from whatever source and any chargeable gains have been disclosed, and all allowances to which you are entitled have been claimed before signing the declaration on page TR6."

Then when the Revenue find out that they have forgotten something, they can't blame you - yes, I have had a client who "forgot" to tell me about a £75K capital gain - that is a problem I would like to have :thumbup:

Claudia
  • KateM
    KateM Registered Posts: 6 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks!

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll draft something for my clients to sign.

:001_smile:

Kate
Privacy Policy