XBOX 360 ring of death

Options
Gem7321
Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I think I upset my other half very much the other night when I tried to turn on the 360 but 3 red lights just flashed around the power button. When I told my other half his eyes widened and he screamed

:ohmy: "Not the ring of death!"

And now he's not talking to me.

What the hell is the ring of death? Did I completely break his 360?

Comments

• sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    It is broken but you didn't do it, its a hardware failure that would have happened anyway.

If you tell him to look on this site http://www.xboxer.tv/2007/07/xbox_360s_red_ring_of_death_fa.html, they mention being able to get a boot up disc and start it up again. I don't know if it will work but at least you'll get a brownie point for looking!!
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Ooh thank you!

I've found that if you have this problem xbox have extended to warranty to 3 years so hopefully it's still in the warranty.

So does everyone know about this? Or is there someone out there who's as much of an xbox moron as me?
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    What's an "Xbox"???
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Ah that makes me feel better :001_smile:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Uh oh, not the dreaded "Red Ring of Death"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems

Read somewhere a while ago in X-Box 360 folklore, that Microsoft were ordered by US and European courts to contingently set aside over $1bn to repair this problem. Some of the problems came from a crappy design that would have cost more to fix at the pre-production stage so they knowingly let a flawed product go through and be built in the hope that not too many would go wrong.

And NEVER EVER move your X-Box 360 while it's on! My son did this and scratched the disc inside when the spinning disc hit the laser. Three small pads fitted to the optical drive in the production process could have fixed this by keeping the disc in place if the unit was being moved but did Microsoft fix it? NOPE! Tossers!
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    What's an "Xbox"???

A little white box....that some men tend to loose themselves in...playing silly games...and some woman to be fair.

On the lines of a play station
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Hello,

A friend of mine recently purchased an xbox 360 for Β£15 which also had suffered from the 'ring of death' and the person couldn't be bothered to have it repaired. I believe he simply contacted microsoft (who know about this common problem) and within a week they replaced it with a brand new one :001_smile:

If you are confident you can probably look up how to fix it yourself, although the machine is little fiddly to take apart.

Hope this helps.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    OK, well Ben managed to open it up and push on things, and now it seems to be working (although very loudly) and if it does go again we won't be able to get a new one on warranty because he's opened it up and the void stickers are broken :001_rolleyes: men!
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    well - in all honesty... he won't be bothered about playing ANY sort of games when baby comes along - other than the games with baby him/herself.

Tell him it's practice for when baby comes. :001_tt2:

That's what I told myself when my PC broke and I had no internet access...

OK, so I only lasted 2 days before I booked a day off work to buy a new laptop - but hey... i'm unique.
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    The same thing happened to my nephews Xbox, as Crispy said, we contacted Microsoft who arranged to pick it up the next day and fix it even though the 1 year shop warranty had expired. As it is a common problem they fixed it without any hassle and delivered it back within the week Free of Charge.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    I wish he would claim on the warranty but he's scared of talking to humans. I might do it for him. Do they take away the old xbox?
  • blobbyh
    Options
    The extended three year warranty is kind of an admission of guilt by Microsoft though isn't it and rather unprecedented for an electrical gadget such as this?

Could be worse Gem; your other half could have invested in a lame duck PS3. Out two years and still just the one decent game to play on it.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Would be even better if he didn't have a console at all so something would get done around the house :001_rolleyes:
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Gem7321 wrote: Β»
    Would be even better if he didn't have a console at all so something would get done around the house :001_rolleyes:

Hey Gem, boys have to have their gadgets too you know. After all you girls have your oven, your washing machine, your vacuum cleaner etc...
  • Gem7321
    Options
    But Ben gets all the good stuff like the cooker and the fridge and the computer and the tv and the xbox etc. etc. all I have is the washing machine and the washing up bowl :(

Speaking of which my washer-dryer broke the other day :mad2:
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    nice one blobbyh.............dont forget they can only use the hoover if the chain from the sink is long enough !!!!!!

thats going to get me in trouble !!!!!
  • Pencil
    Pencil Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    you boys are in so much trouble. Just you wait until I get my rubber gloves off and hang my pinny up.....

Ring of Death - my a***

It'll be Clout of Anger for the lot of you
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Gem7321 wrote: Β»
    ...all I have is the washing machine and the washing up bowl

Yes but at least you can look forward to the steam iron with board for Valentine's Day...
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    And they say romance is dead...
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    hey last valintines day i said to my misses................grab your coat .................she said "wow your taking me out ?" ...............

i said "no , im turning the heating off"

lol
Privacy Policy