Can anyone help me with my laptop issues?

Options
Cullen
Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
I wonder if anyone could advise me regarding my laptop. I keep having to type some letter keys over and over, sometimes up to 6 times before it is recognised. It is mainly N, H, Y, U and M. It has affected word, excel and outlook.

My laptop is only a couple of months old. I dont think it is dirt or that I have splilled anything.

I am going to clean it and see if there is anything gluing it up.

If anyone knows what I should do, I would really appreciate some advice as the thing is hardly usable now. I use word a lot and having to type letter by letter and check the screen before I can type the next one is killing me.

Comments

• Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Highly unlikely that dirt will cause this much obstruction on your keyboard space. Maybe something spilt and has stuck under the keys which by repeatedly pressing eventually releases whatever is blocking the way.

Are the keys any stiffer than the rest of the keys to depress?

Did it happen overnight or is this a gradual thing?

Have you turned the lappy up side down and give it a god shake?

I used some stuff from work "Compressed Air" in a can - cleared some crap out from my keyboard - try that?

Failing the above, remove the outer casing, lifet the keypad and see what (if anything) is obstructing the connectors.
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Ok, thanks I will try that. Where do I get compressed air? Halfords?

It all began a couple of days ago. But when I look at the letters affected, they are all in the one line, almost on the keyboard. This looks as if it might be a splillage, do you think?

You don't think it's a virus though?
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    If it is only a couple of months old, surely it is covered by guarantee. Why not take it back to where you got it from and let them look at it before you start removing bits. You may invalidate the guarantee.
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    correct farmer giles.

Removing bits will invalidate your warranty etc, so take it to where you got it from. Using compressed air won't invalidate it though, you could get this cheap off ebay or google it - online is your best bet - failing that, Staples usually best for office stuff.

If they give you crap over the warranty not covering this etc - there's some helpful advice on statutory law and consumer law which states something must last for a length of period to that of what would be expected of the value of the goods..

ie if you pay Β£3,000 for a computer - you would be well within your rights to complain and get a refund if it stopped working after 4 months...

Sounds like a spillage of some sorts to me, or has it been dropped and the key buttons (under the keypad) have become off centre, if the latter - then the warranty should cover.

Let us know how you get on.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Buff wrote: Β»
    Have you turned the lappy up side down and give it a god shake?

Is that similar to a good shake only with divine intervention?

When I've had sticky keys on laptops, I've simply pulled them off, - after all they're only pressed on in the first place. To test this I just pulled off my page up key, had a good look at how it's made - just a couple of sticky out bits holding it in place - then just simply pushed it back on again until it clicked. Works fine. NOTE; this wouldn't always work with an external keyboard as they're often made differently and the bigger keys can be fiddly.

If it were me, I'd test it with a key you don't normally use to see if it can be easily taken off and put back again. If it can, have a look at the sticky keys and see if you can solve the problem that way.

If you don't want to take the risk take it back to the shop and watch them almost certainly do first what I've described above only at their risk!

General question, but does anyone ever check the key resistance on a laptop before they buy it? The keys should have little travel with no flex underneath, especially around the middle. I'd steer clear of a spongy keyboard as you could be looking at what Cullen has descibed above if you're a heavy key hitter.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    forgave press letter provided abode

N, H, Y, U and M(use words that dont have them in)

lol
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Mark, I know you think I don't have a sense of humour but for fricks sake, can you manage to compose one serious sentence every so often, preferably without typos, so we know what you're on about? It disrespects the OP if you're flippant in every single thread.

Do you see yourself as the kind of guy who'd laugh at a funeral?
  • Ponder
    Ponder Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Vacuum cleaner worked well,when i ran out of "compressed air" before my keys got too bad but yeah no spillages to deal with, so slightly different thing but same general topic of saving, cleaning prolonging the life your keyboard/laptop! ;)
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I have a HP Laptop which decided to have sticky keys and a noisy DVD drive when about 6 months old. After spending ages trying to get online support from their website caleld them up, laptop went away, came back less than a week later with brand new DVD Drive, keyboard and screen (didnot even know the screen had a fault).

Hooray for HP.
  • mark130273
    Options
    so whats the latest with the laptop ??
  • mark130273
    Options
    p.s. blobbyh..........your so easy to wind up...........you must be a pleasure to live with !
Privacy Policy