Tax Experience

CLAREH Registered Posts: 16 Dedicated contributor 🌟 🐵 🌟

I am considering setting up my own practice and becoming a licenced member in practice. I have plenty of experience in the accountancy side, but fairly limited in my taxation experience. I've done the odd self assessment tax return, VAT returns many years ago and worked with the auditors from a previous job in the CT calculations. I did Personal Tax at AAT Technician Level and passed Business Taxation with CIMA back in 2005. If I do decide to go it alone, I would want to be able to offer the full package to clients, including tax. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?


  • SarahS
    SarahS Registered Posts: 60 💫 🐯 💫
    Hi Clare

    I have PM'd you.

  • ahmedt01
    ahmedt01 Registered Posts: 11 Regular contributor ⭐ 😼 ⭐
    I have exactly the same problem. Any advice would be gratefully received.

    CLAREH Registered Posts: 16 Dedicated contributor 🌟 🐵 🌟
    Knowledge isn't an issue and I plan to include plenty of tax in my CPD this year, its just the practical experience :sad:
    CLAREH Registered Posts: 16 Dedicated contributor 🌟 🐵 🌟
    I've just spoken to membership services regarding this.

    Apparently,the licencing board maystill accept your application even if you do not have a great deal of practical knowledge and you can show you have the technical knowledge through taking exams (in particular AAT modules) and you continue to keep your knowledge up to date through CPD. They also suggest that you may get a local MiP as a mentor and ask them to check your work or you help them with their work for a while.

    Its not guaranteed that you will be accepted for this type of work by the licencing board (and if not, they would advise you on what you needed to do to put this right) but member services encouraged me to apply.:thumbup1:
Privacy Policy