Football - can someone explain

Options
jackie
jackie Registered Posts: 81 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,
I have never been to a football match in my life and in asking this I will probably sound really thick....:blushing:

Really don't understand football so can anyone explain,united are playing spurs in the carling cup final on March 1st, but spurs are a lot further down the league table than united so why are they in the final? Never followed football before so really don't know but doesn't make a lot of sense to me....Is the carling cup completly diffrent to league, the more I think about it the more confused I become!

Jackie

Comments

• Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Yes the league cup is different from the league itself. The FA cup is different still. Champions League and UEFA cup are the directly related to the teams finishing in the top places of the premier league. The top two teams in each of the lower divisions are promoted at the end of the seaon, with the four below them playing 'play offs' to determine the last promotion place. Three teams are relegated from each league (the bottom three) at the end of the season

Paul
  • jackie
    Options
    Thanks Paul,

I will keep reading that until I fully understand!

Thankyou

Jackie
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    please .dont carry onthis thread........

like me asking.....can anyone tell me how to do the ironing !!!!

hahahahahhaa
  • jackie
    Options
    Mark,

I have no intention of carrying on this thread and actually find that remark quite rude. It was just something that I wanted to find out, as I have never followed football how would I know. As you wear clothes everyday you would obviously know how to iron them................:001_rolleyes:

Jackie
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    jackie wrote: Β»
    Mark,

As you wear clothes everyday you would obviously know how to iron them................:001_rolleyes:

Jackie

Try telling my daughters that...:lol: they wouldn't know an iron if it smacked them on the back of the head:lol::lol:

Both have left home, one is married and one is living over the brush.
  • jackie
    Options
    Ha Ha!:lol:
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Try telling my daughters that...:lol: they wouldn't know an iron if it smacked them on the back of the head:lol::lol:

Both have left home, one is married and one is living over the brush.

So she doesn't know what a brush is for either:lol:
  • mark130273
    Options
    sorry jackie. i was only kidding..............

just for your info . im the one that does the ironing in our house......
  • jackie
    Options
    Apology accepted, thank you :001_smile:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Don't worry Jackie. Despite having followed football for over thirty years the one thing that has still confuses me is how it's always been a self contained entity completely separate from the rest of the sports and business world.

You have little money and maybe only 10,000 active fans yet are able to borrow Β£30m to build a new stadium seating 30,000 (Derby). You can spend Β£100m on a team that wins nothing (Leeds & Newcastle). There's a global financial crisis but you still want to pay over Β£100m for one person and pay him Β£100m in wages over four years (Man City/Kaka). You can be employed to build a successful team, fail miserably and step down/get sacked but still walk away with Β£5m in compensation (Sven). You can savagely attack someone on a football field causing them permanent injury, admit to your pre-meditated crime in a book and yet the police do nothing (Roy Keane, truly the thickest footballer that ever lived).

It seems the only prerequisite for being directly involved in the football industry is that you have to be thick with both money and other worldly matters.

I love football but hate footballers...
  • Paul24
    Options
    Agreed on the Roy Keane comment.

Also grown men running around spitting, having played football for years up to my early twenties, never noticed the need to 'gob' all over the place. Do that on the street in front of a copper and see what happens (or at least in theory what should happen)

Paul
  • jackie
    Options
    Whoa.....

I feel so much better now, thanks Robert

Jackie :thumbup:
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I still prefer the game played by men with funny shaped balls!!
    Now that's a real mans game. Those namby pampy poofter footballers wouldn't last 30 seconds in a real mans game......lol
  • blobbyh
    Options
    I always ask my kids what's the most gay, football or ballet? Boys will always say ballet until I point out to them that football's all about the following;

Men happily kissing other men when they're happy
    Men crying on the pitch to other men when they're sad
    Men paying to watch other men do both of the above

Now ballet's all about artistry and strength, aesthetical beauty, a much higher physical skill - but even better, millions of women all wanting to bed the few men who can do it!

How women see football;

22 grown men kicking a bag of wind around a pitch
    Two teams of 20 other men fawning over all the 22 men on the pitch
    3 grown men watching over all of them in case they have temper tantrums
    50,000 people paying Β£30 each to watch the other 25 men on the pitch
    100,000m people watching the other 50,065 people in the stadium
  • jackie
    Options
    please .dont carry onthis thread........

like me asking.....can anyone tell me how to do the ironing !!!!

hahahahahhaa

Finding this quite funny now......sorry Mark but this thread seems to be carrying on all on its own :lol:

Jackie
  • Paul24
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    I always ask my kids what's the most gay, football or ballet?

Hmm

Farmer I totally agree, often find myself amused watching the footballers goal celebrations, and imagining seeing the same reaction to a try on the rugby pitch! V amusing
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I still prefer the game played by men with funny shaped balls!!
    Now that's a real mans game. Those namby pampy poofter footballers wouldn't last 30 seconds in a real mans game......lol

Totally with you on this one give me a rugby team any day:001_tt2:
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Interesting to see how those tough Rugby lads would do in Pro Boxing, or UFC.

(Gavin Henson vs Tyson is actually quite an appealing thought).

Tougher competitors does not a better sport make.

Rugby's still a stop start load of tedious sh*te and football still wipes the floor with it is as a form of entertainment.

Rugger players have bigger biceps though eh?!!
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Sadly I never really got to do either football or rugby after leaving school. I knew I enjoyed - and was more skillful - at football but my nature would have meant red cards and a lifetime ban pretty quickly. I'd have probably enjoyed the omnipresent violence of rugby more though I'm sure I'd now be six foot under if I'd ever tried that seriously.
  • mark130273
    Options
    well i play a game that grown up men lean over the table as a bunch of other men watch over there shoulder to see if they can get there balls in !!!

lol

hahahahahaha....how gay could that sound!
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    hi i am a massive spurs fan! (backstage tours and shareholder!)

the only reason spurs are so far down the table is due to a bad start to the season - selling best strikers (berbatova and keane) and at that time having a rubbish manager.

now the team is improving, we have the confidence and ability to win games again.

come on you spurs!

sorry if i offend any man utd supporters!!

Katie
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    hi i am a massive spurs fan! (backstage tours and shareholder!)

the only reason spurs are so far down the table is due to a bad start to the season - selling best strikers (berbatova and keane) and at that time having a rubbish manager.

now the team is improving, we have the confidence and ability to win games again.

The only reason for your bad start was because you were rubbish….even now you can't beat 10 man Arsenal at home…so you may be improving, but seeing how rubbish you were at the beginning of the season, that doesn't say much :lol:
  • mark130273
    Options
    yeh but spurs had a good manager in the start....look hows hes doing at real !!!
  • LondonMatt
    Options
    Yeah! He's managed to get the richest club in the world, to within 12 points of the top spot :laugh:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Still, the amusement to be had at the travails of Spurs is nothing to the the glorious comedy we're getting from Chelsea right now.
  • LondonMatt
    Options
    Its been a very amusing season so far. Spurs fighting relegation, buying back all their old players, Sniverpool thinking they could win the league....

The best has to Aston Villa breaking into the top four though. My dream is that they stay there and we end up having the Arsenal World XI fight Chelski for 4th place.

Quality :lol:
  • blobbyh
    Options
    The decline of Chelski and Arsenal over the last couple of years has been quite amusing to watch and I now think of Liverpool as being the closest challengers to United.

Who remembers four or five years ago when it was all Arsenal or Chelsea and many were predicting the dominance of United was over?
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Much as I'm duty bound to as a Baggie, I'm finding it hard to resent Villa's success this season. Now all I need is for the Albion to put together a decent run (yeah I know) and Wolves and City not to get promoted and I'll be happy... well less miserable anyway.
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    managed to win against liverpool 4-2! now are they rubbish???

okay we didnt win against arsenal - had a lot more chances than them.
  • LondonMatt
    Options
    managed to win against liverpool 4-2! now are they rubbish???

okay we didnt win against arsenal - had a lot more chances than them.

'cos they only had ten men!! :w00t:

…and I thought it was 2-1, not 4-2??? :confused1:
Privacy Policy