Unbelievable!

Options
GILL
GILL Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
Had a member of staff, who has been in a relationship with a colleague for over a year, crying on my shoulder on Friday because they had split up. During the 'chat' she commented on a few things which, if only partly true, point to unprofessional behaviour by him (most related to things he was getting up to whilst supposedly working).

Obviously I was very cautious considering the circumstances but started to do a little bit of research to see if there was any potential evidence - some possible concerns but cannot substantiate them without investigating formally.

Looked up this morning to see them coming through the doors together hand in hand!!! Don't know which is worse, having to carryout an investigation with the obvious risk that her claims were just malicious or now having to carry out an investigation with them supporting each other and me being the bad guy!

Comments

• PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Are you a manager in the office? If you are then you do have a duty to look into them, especially if they are a serious breach.

If you are not then why not do the old pass the buck but in reverse and pass it up to the manager.

If they are not serious breaches and you think there is a good chance the claims are malicious I would just leave alone unless you catch him doing them yourself.

This is why I always feel it is not fair on other folk in an office if a couple are working together.
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Thats not put either of them in a good light, her covering it up when they were in a relationship and him doing it.

If you are their line manager I would be tempted to call them both in and have it out with them. His alleged wrongdoings are bad but her covering up and then blabbing when it suits her is also not appropriate behaviour. If she is aware of someones wrongdoing she has a duty to report it whether she is in a relationship or not.

If not I would still report it, it sounds petty but that could compromise the team, people should realise at work that wrongdoing won't be tolerated and turning a blind eye to it won't either, nor will petty squealing to get back at people if he hasn't done anything.

Over and out from planet harsh!!
  • GILL
    GILL Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I agree with you Sarah on how it should be handled. Just frustrated because based on past experience chinese wispers run riot through my deparment but, clearly, only when its 'us against the line managers'.

Disciplining them when all in their world is rosy again won't go down well.

The joys of line management I guess!:mad2:
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Very tricky situation you are in.......but how do you know if she was telling the truth about him....or was it a case of a woman scorned.........and after revenge, for your sake I think I would tread very carefully and as you say I would check all the facts out first...as I would imagine if they are back together again.....she may not even admit she told you anything..........best of luck in your decision.

Take care
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Is there not a way you can investigate on the hush hush based on whatever it is that she told you he had done, gather your evidence discreetly and then stitch her up at the same time (in the most professional way possible of course) you obvioulsy do NOT want a situation where you leave yourself open for her to lie about her accusations, without any evidence. I would be a bit sneaky in order to cover your own backside.

This may seem harsh but in my experience if a woman turns like that when faced with an emotional hurdle, you can bet that the support you offered last week could just as quickly be thrown back at you.

Paul
  • JJ43
    JJ43 Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    What a predicament to be in, I would hold fire on doing anything at the moment, as his unprofessional behaviour will undoubtly come back and bite him on the bum, hopefully not in the too distance future.

Look on it as she has given you a heads up on what has been going on, you are now armed with some interesting information, sit back, observe and bide your time because people like that will slip up when they think the coast is clear ! Its best to have all the facts before attempting anything heavy handed.

The joys of management !!

Julie
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Paul24 wrote: »
    Is there not a way you can investigate on the hush hush based on whatever it is that she told you he had done, gather your evidence discreetly and then stitch her up at the same time (in the most professional way possible of course) you obvioulsy do NOT want a situation where you leave yourself open for her to lie about her accusations, without any evidence. I would be a bit sneaky in order to cover your own backside.

This may seem harsh but in my experience if a woman turns like that when faced with an emotional hurdle, you can bet that the support you offered last week could just as quickly be thrown back at you.

Paul

Unfortunatley even though I am a woman I totally agree with you.
Privacy Policy