New Job/ Career progression

Options
Jamie Morton
Jamie Morton Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
Hello all.

I am currently working as a purchase legder clerk at a large regional college and am about to move on from my intermidiate studies to technician provinding my exam results are good. I would like a change of job though i would like to work in practise as I feel it will help me with my studies more and provide me with better career progression.

The trouble i am having is finding a job in practise all the firms i have spoken to are looking for university leavers to study ACCA and i was wondering if any one knew if this was the case in general or just in the area that i am in. And if not could any one point me in the right direction as i am only 21 and would like to study ACCA myself but just can not seem to find a way into practise.

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I think it can be difficult to find a new job at this stage, and there'd be a lot more open to you when you're qualified AAT and ready to start ACCA.

However there will be something out there, just keep looking and write to some local practices. Have you registered with any agencies? I know they can be a pain but they normally get details of vacancies before they are advertised, so if you find a good agency they should be able to help.

Whereabouts are you from?
  • Jamie Morton
    Jamie Morton Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I have registered with a few agencys but no luck yet. Im From newmarket in suffolk but currently work in cambridge and would like to carry on working in this area as well.
  • axl2derv
    axl2derv Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    You can try emailing practices as they take on AAT students frequently. You will be looking a poor salary though of about Β£10 - 12,000 pa.
  • *Data Input* officer
    *Data Input* officer Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I have registered with a few agencys but no luck yet. Im From newmarket in suffolk but currently work in cambridge and would like to carry on working in this area as well.

Agency man. Great *career* you've got there. :laugh:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options

Jeez, not another agency basher; this topic has gotten really tiresome over the last few months. Ho hum...
  • *Data Input* officer
    *Data Input* officer Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Jeez, not another agency basher; this topic has gotten really tiresome over the last few months. Ho hum...
    Yes, b ut come on, it is only losers that cannot find a perm. job (i.e. employers think that they are good for a laugh, but wouldn't think of taking them on F.T) that take temp jobs anyway.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Yes, b ut come on, it is only losers that cannot find a perm. job (i.e. employers think that they are good for a laugh, but wouldn't think of taking them on F.T) that take temp jobs anyway.

Your experience astounds me!
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Your experience astounds me!

Being a Wednesday fan and therefore used to mediocrity, it's not easy to wake Annette from her slumber...
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    Wide awake now Rob - thank you!!!!

Enjoying working from home this week, I must be data input officers most favourite person, a working mum, completing AAT and ACCA whilst (shock horror) having a family.

I'll get me coat.......

Blobby, you need to add me on facebook as I can't remember your surname!!
  • blobbyh
    Options
    Blobby, you need to add me on facebook as I can't remember your surname!!

Uh oh, stalker alert. You can't remember it 'cos I've never given it. If you become my friend you'll see how sad and empty my life currently is though there will be the small bonus of viewing a picture of me in Spain a few years ago wearing a pink bikini...
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    ha ha you're in my sights now!!
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    ... If you become my friend you'll see how sad and empty my life currently is though there will be the small bonus of viewing a picture of me in Spain a few years ago wearing a pink bikini...

Must have missed that one :laugh: :001_tt2:
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    Jan wrote: Β»
    Must have missed that one :laugh: :001_tt2:

Jan

I thought he was joking but it seriously is there - Blobby in a pink bikini, I shall look at you in a whole new light now!
  • timhamer
    timhamer Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hello all.

I am currently working as a purchase legder clerk at a large regional college and am about to move on from my intermidiate studies to technician provinding my exam results are good. I would like a change of job though i would like to work in practise as I feel it will help me with my studies more and provide me with better career progression.

The trouble i am having is finding a job in practise all the firms i have spoken to are looking for university leavers to study ACCA and i was wondering if any one knew if this was the case in general or just in the area that i am in. And if not could any one point me in the right direction as i am only 21 and would like to study ACCA myself but just can not seem to find a way into practise.

If you are writing to local firms then spelling it practice is pretty essential :001_smile:

You are in a difficult situation to be honest and as has been mentioned when you have completed the AAT you will get a lot more interest as that is equivalent to a degree in terms of starting ACA/ACCA/CIMA.

Also bear in mind that the pay will be rubbish!

My advice would be to think very hard about what you have to offer to a practice firm - how will you fit into the chargeable hours culture? Are you prepared to work overtime, will you make a good impression on clients, can you meet time budgets while still producing high quality work?

Once you have done this then you need to try and find firms which are looking to recruit, perhaps through contacts you have or looking at adverts or contacting them direct.

Finally, don't write off a big firm if you think you are a strong candidate and can think on your feet. :thumbup1:
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options

My temp contract finishes at the end of the month. I have a small practice at home, with the opportunity now of expanding it using the experience gained from the temp contract.
    I also teach bookkeeping on a "visiting lecturer" basis(temporary)
    I'm also chair of my local parish council.
    And I am finishing my AAT studies this year, at the grand young age of 56!
    Is that a good description of a loser?:lol::lol:
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Jan

I thought he was joking but it seriously is there - Blobby in a pink bikini, I shall look at you in a whole new light now!

Annette - I thought I was the sad one looking for the pink bikini! Now we will be truely thought of as stalkers!

Appogies for hi-jacking this Jamie. However to get back to your op - I agree with Tim, working in practice is totally different to what you are doing now. There is plenty of scope for career progression in industry, so don't wite that off completely.

And as ever, good luck with your studies and career, wherever it may lead you.
  • phunkyphantom22
    phunkyphantom22 Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options

So being a "data input officer" is a challenging and fulfilling "career" is it?! Ha ha ha, don't make me laugh!!!!! :laugh:
Privacy Policy