AAT MIP - Where next?

Options
monkeypuzzle47
monkeypuzzle47 Registered Posts: 134 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
I appealed to the ACCA so that I can continue my studies, however after an investigation against me I have been officially been given the option to resign my postion as Student of the ACCA, not keen on attending a disiplinary panel I have just resigned.

As I am an MIP and giving up my practice to study ACCA is not an affordable option I am now reconsidering other areas.

I have been thinking about starting the att and I have also looked at the IFA as you can get exemption at associate level if you have passed certain exams with aat.

I was wondering if any other AAT MIP'S had considered the IFA (Institute of Financial Accountants). And whether this was a good path to go down.

http://www.ifa.org.uk

Any advice please.

Comments

• NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

Have you considered CIMA? They dont have the same restrictions as ACCA and will let you count self employed experience towards membership - ACCA wouldnt. You would need to be able to verify this experience, i.e. from senior clients, your bankers etc (probably best to check on this with CIMA).

Neil
  • ahmedt01
    ahmedt01 Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    i hope u dont think im being nosey, but what was the investigation for??
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    IFA ranks alongside AAT in terms of IFAC status and is probably less known in the industry than AAT so I am not sure it would be a progressive step to go down that route.

If you want to become 'chartered' the only viable options if you want to remain in practice on your own account are CIMA or CTA. I considered doing CIMA but the syllabus just seemed pretty boring to me and has little relevance to running a small practice so I opted for CTA.

I am currently completing the Institute of Indirect Taxation's VAT compliance diploma after which I will have more letters after my name than I have in it and that is probably a good time to stop!! Although I am seriously considering studying for the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners exams as they sound fun..

There are plenty of options out there, I guess it really comes down to what areas of practice interest you.
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options

If you want to become 'chartered' the only viable options if you want to remain in practice on your own account are CIMA or CTA.

Just to add to this; if you wanted to become 'Chartered' down the tax route you would have to do ATT before doing CTA. That is if you 'only' have the AAT qualification. The CTA entry requirements are that you must be a CCAB or ATT qualified. I think solicitors' and barristers' can also gain entry.

For public practice I would say ATT - CTA is far more 'practical' than CIMA.

Regards

Dean
  • monkeypuzzle47
    Options
    Thank you to both the Deans for your advice!

I have now sent off the student reg form to the ATT, just love tax so it would seem ATT is the best option for me and I have just spent 4 months studying the ACCA Taxation paper so maybe that will help.

Neil thanks too, have considered Cima but it just doesnt appeal to me at all seems a wee bit boring!

regards,

Jenny
  • monkeypuzzle47
    Options
    I am currently completing the Institute of Indirect Taxation's VAT compliance diploma after which I will have more letters after my name than I have in it and that is probably a good time to stop!! Although I am seriously considering studying for the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners exams

Dean, you have way to much time on your hands. But that sounds good too I'll look into that one! hee.
  • monkeypuzzle47
    Options
    ahmedt01 wrote: Β»
    i hope u dont think im being nosey, but what was the investigation for??

AATs MIP's can not be acca students. I told acca that i was an mip, at which point they opened an investigation against me.
Privacy Policy