Please someone give me a chance!

SDL11
SDL11 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
Hi all,

I became a full member in September 2008 and have put myself through my AAT qualification without any input from my employer. I am desperately looking to make the next 'move' in Accounts, I have been an all-round Accounts Assistant for 5 years and would like to get more involved in the management side of accounts (and move to CIMA/ACCA if neccessary) but employers tell me I need more experience!

Any suggestions/ help would be greatly appreciated.

E-mail serenadl@hotmail.com.

Comments

• SDL11
    By the way forgot to say, I am looking for Leeds/ Bradford area.
  • axl2derv
    axl2derv Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    You have the same problem as me. I have started doing management accounts for my employer even though I am his bookkeeper. I hope this gives me more oppertunities by placing it on my CV.
  • SDL11
    I know isn't it frustrating? I work for a really small company and there isn't any scope to go any further. When I go for interviews they give me positive feedback but always say I need more experience.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    SDL11 wrote: »
    I know isn't it frustrating? I work for a really small company and there isn't any scope to go any further. When I go for interviews they give me positive feedback but always say I need more experience.

Not sure this is the correct forum for this discussion but anyway. You ought to bear in mind that the skills you are currently utilising - management accounting and/or book keeping - will often be relevant to the annual turnover of your business. Many employers might want to know if you're a big cog in a small wheel - maybe the only one in a company doing £1m or £2m -or alternatively one of many accountants in a firm doing £100m+. A management accountant position in a company turning over £5m per annum won't necessarily be equivalent to the same role in a company turning over £500m p.a. The bigger the company the higher the standards bar will be for the best positions and you should try to know where you fit in the market.
  • SDL11
    Thanks Robert, I understand what you are saying. I think I may be aiming a bit too high for now. Will keep trying!

Serena.
Privacy Policy