Salary expectations.

Options
stevenbcfc
stevenbcfc Registered Posts: 19 New contributor 🐸
Hi, im based in the midlands and am wondering what sort of salary i should be commanding, i get my final aat results next week so please assume i've passed and i've been working in practice for 4 years in July. I'm going on to do ACCA and my employer will be funding this so please consider the cost of this.

Thanks

Comments

• Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    When I was at your stage working in industry in the midlands I was on 16-17k.

Paul
  • Luflux
    Luflux Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    There is a salary guide link in the employers section of the AAT website. Have a look there.
  • Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Salary expectation for non chartered accountant: low.

I think late teens is the best you can hope for.
  • *Sarah*
    *Sarah* Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I think it all depends. I am an accounts assistant in the south east and I earn 25k
  • clairej03
    clairej03 Registered Posts: 7 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    i agree i think it depends on company etc as i also work in the midlands and am waiting for my last AAT exam results. i work as a financial accountant reporting to the FC and am on 20k
  • Sonny_L
    Options
    You two are both in industry though? And do your packages include CCAB study?
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Sonny_L wrote: »
    You two are both in industry though? And do your packages include CCAB study?

Considerable salaries aren't determined by qualifications alone, there are many QBE's earning £40k+ with years or even decades of experience. While for a few of them their CPD might not be as up to scratch compared to the qualifieds, their sheer breadth of knowledge can sometimes be astounding and put many a young but qualified 'upstart' to shame.

I know it's not like for like but Alan Sugar and Richard Branson don't have degrees yet who woud accuse them of being poor business leaders?
  • Sonny_L
    Options
    When I said non chartered Accountants don't earn much it was students who are yet to become qualified rather than QBE's I had in mind, but sorry for the confusion. Nonetheless, in spite of the inevitable exceptions, a CCAB is a distinct advantage in Accountancy and finance.

But my point was I think it's unlikely a freshly qualified MAAT in practice, not industry, will do better than late teen salary plus CCAB package. There's bound to be exceptions of course, but he asked for a rough idea of what to expect and that's what I'd expect.
  • stevenbcfc
    Options
    I've looked on Hays website and it says £20,800 for Bristol. I think Birmingham will be slightly higher than that as is the cost of living etc....

But i only wanted £17k but now i've seen this should set my sights higher?

After seeing this it makes what i've been offered an insult, on pagepersonal.co.uk the average lowest end is £17k.

But then they are paying for my ACCA. Where should i set the stool?
  • Paul24
    Options
    stevenbcfc wrote: »
    I've looked on Hays website and it says £20,800 for Bristol. I think Birmingham will be slightly higher than that as is the cost of living etc....

Having lived in Birmingham and worked in Bristol I dont think this is anywhere near accurate.
  • stevenbcfc
    Options
    I would guess at saying hays would be quite accurate seens as they take commission on the jobs that they are placing people in based on salary so surely they'd know more than ne1? Its all about how many people are included in the survey but heres the link ..... http://salarysurvey.hays.com/salary-survey/18/3/3/127/
  • Paul24
    Options
    I wasnt questioning their accuracy, I was just talking about my own experiences will salaries / cost of living between the two cities.
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    But i only wanted £17k but now i've seen this should set my sights higher?

After seeing this it makes what i've been offered an insult, on pagepersonal.co.uk the average lowest end is £17k.

Just read your opening post again - are you changing jobs or just seeking a pay rise?

There is a fine dividing line between what you want and what your employer is prepared to pay you! If a job is advertised as paying a certain amount I would be wary of "demanding" well over what they are offering, you might just price yourself out of the job.

You can always ask for more if you are due a pay review - the worst they can say is no. But if they are paying for your training I imagine that doesn't come cheap and if you are on day release that is one day when you won't be earning the company any fees.
  • stevenbcfc
    Options
    No ive been in the job a year but want what im worth, it will be block release rather than day release. I've been advised that the market rate for AAT qualified is 20-21 but accept 19 no lower.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I'd be very careful where you go with this Steven as you seem to be coming across as maybe a tad ungrateful towards your employer. You also might be identifiable given even the limited amount of information available on here.

You're on what, £17k, and how old are you? Your employer is going to pay for your ACCA and let you have time off work, where as Jan says, you won't be earning anything for them. The ACCA benefit alone could be measured at several thousand pounds per year which when added to your salary, makes a fair package in some parts of the country. More importantly, what is that ACCA course worth to you if your employers were to sense your attitude and choose not go forth and invest in you?
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    stevenbcfc wrote: »
    No ive been in the job a year but want what im worth, it will be block release rather than day release. I've been advised that the market rate for AAT qualified is 20-21 but accept 19 no lower.

I wish - I'm AAT qualified with 3 years experience and on £13k with CCAB study (I'm 19 by the way which I appreciate may make a small difference). If you want to sit there and really think about it I guess you could say I was on an equivalent of £16k-£17k but certainly not £19k+. To date, I haven't found a salary checker that puts my pay into anything more than the bare minimum but when I consider the fact I own a flat and can pay the mortgage and all my bills each month with the pay I get, I realise things aren't so bad and in fact I'm quite lucky to have a job and my independence.

I would firstly say that you shouldn't solely rely on statistics where salaries are concerned as these can be influenced by who the surveys ask/don't ask and secondly, as Blobbyh and Jan have mentioned, take into account the ACCA package because that will make a substantial difference. Remember, you cost more than just your salary to your employer.
Privacy Policy