VAT online service not working..

Options
deanshepherd
deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I havn't been able to log in since yesterday.

Can anybody else access or is it only me?

:mad2:

Comments

• Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi Dean,

Just tried and I am able to log on ok.

Poodle
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Dean

I'm not able to register as an Agent for VAT as I'm not VAT registered myself, but I have just tried logging on as a couple of my Clients and I was able to log on ok.

Sue
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    Hmmm..

I can log in i.e. get to the Online Services Main Menu.

But when I click on the 'VAT online' link I get a message saying Temporary Problem.

Can you actually get to your list of clients?
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    My logons are individual for each Client but I have got through as far as submitting the VAT returns for them.

There is a posting on Accounting Web from someone asking if the VAT Online is down, so it sounds like it's not just you.
  • Stan Bown
    Stan Bown Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    If you go to the 'Service Issues - VAT Online' page under VAT for agends and advisors, you may find a solution there. It's a very long link, so I haven't cut and pasted.
  • sheelagh
    sheelagh Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    VAT Online

I can log on, but my clients aren't there. In fact, my own business is there, despite the fact that I have always had a separate login for my own business. Clearly the gremlins have been tidying up.

I couldn't access my PAYE notices yesterday, but that seems to have been rectified now.
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    I have just spoken to HMRC and apparently it has been an issue since before Christmas (lie). They told me that it is because some of my clients do not have VAT returns due this month (you don't say) and therefore the system won't let me in. I therefore have to delete the clients for which VAT returns are not due and add them back when their VAT returns become due (you're joking right?!).

I asked, "ok, let's say I delete the clients that do not have VAT returns due this month, how do you suggest I reinstate them?"

Revenue response "You get them to log in under their own account and appoint you as agent."

I replied "Excuse my french, but are you having a f***ing laugh?!"

Revenue response "Would you like me to get somebody to call you back?"

I replied "Yes."
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Tax may not have to be taxing but HMRC helpline does!!!
    Regards,

Burg
  • Poodle
    Options
    Dean,

I process the majority of my VAT returns through my client manager version of Sage because the software has the facility to log onto HMR&C and process the VAT return for me automatically. Could this be a possible solution for you with the software that you use to try to force a return to be processed?

I moved away from manual posting requiring re keying a couple of months ago. But, I have just had another look and all of my clients are still on my client list, return due this month or not, suggesting that if I wanted to process a retun manually I could. So it must be something specific to your log in.

We should start a swear box for HMR&C and donate the proceeds to comic relief especially since HMR&C do qualify as 'comical':001_smile:

Poodle
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    Thanks Poodle, I didn't even know Sage had that facility.

I have now submitted via Sage and it seems to have worked, although this client does not use Sage so I had to make up a mock account which is a bit of a waste of time.

Can I just check that you use your own e-VAT login and password, rather than the clients?

I used my own as I do not have any of my client's and it still seems to have worked.

I am little concerned as to how I can check that it has definitely worked. I am also a little concerned that Sage sends themselves a data file containing everything that has been submitted..
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    Aha, just received an email from HMRC - that will be confirmation enough for me!

Thanks Poodle.
  • Poodle
    Options
    Dean,

My pleasure, if you now go into 'Manage VAT' and the HMR&C report icon at the top you can generate a nice report that you are able to .pdf and send to your client by email.

If they pay by DDR it gives the collection date:001_smile:

Poodle
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    Update: HMRC just phoned me.

Apparently if you set up a new VAT registration you can only register for online submission 10 days prior to the end of the first VAT period otherwise you will not be able to see your client list at all.

HMRC will now delete the two new clients that I have added in order that I can re-access the system. I will then have to reactivate them next month.

They say they are working on a fix!
Privacy Policy