Aat -cima??

Options
Arul
Arul Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
Wanted to do ACCA after aat, but after reading some of the threads here I see that this is not an option.

After qualifying AAT I am to apply MIP as I have experience in practice (everyone ACCA!!). I also am now thinking of studying CIMA but do not know too much about it. Would this be a suitable qualification and help me in public practice. It seems more industry based and Im a bewildered.

Please help?

Any other alternatices to ACCA, CIMA etc for MIPS??

tHANKS

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    The alternative that people seem to go for due the various different restrictions is ATT then possibly onto CTA being the two tax qualifications.

As you say CIMA is more industry based and will be less relevant to practice.

Someone will probably be along later that is either doing or has done this route to offer more info.:001_smile:
    Regards,

Burg
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

I've done CIMA and it is geared towards industry. However, there is a proportion of the membership working in practice and CIMA have a practice certificate. I'm assuming you're an MIP, which is why you can't do ACCA?
  • Arul
    Arul Registered Posts: 8 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    thanks for reply, Am not an MIP, but am going to apply within the next couple of months. Not sure what to do now as I assumed you could be mip with aat, and study acca at the sametime.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

ACCA rules prohibit any student and any member without a practising certifcate from carrying out work that fals within the ACCA definition of public practice. You could still study ACCA but you wouldnt be able to do anything behond basic book-keeping, VAT and payroll and (I beleive) internal management accounts. Also, you would not be able to use self employed work experience toward the ACCA requirements.

Neil
  • Smokey
    Smokey Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I'm CIMA and MIP as long as you get the necessary experience in self assessment and VAT its not a problem...I do mostly deal with ltd companies accounts....keep up to date with cpd too.

I find CIMA opens you up to understanding the meaning behind the numbers which some of my ACCA colleagues just don't have - i'm sure thats a generalisation personal experience only.

CIMA also keeps you flexible in the employment market for both accountancy and analyst roles if self employed doesn't work out.

But if ACCA is where your heart is don't compromise just wait before going it alone :)
Privacy Policy