Quiet today

Options
fatandforty
fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
Everybody is very quiet today. Are you all busy? Or in shock over yesterdays banning??!!

Comments

• columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I'm about,

Got a few days of with the children, and I'm studying at home at the moment and dealing with 3 kids who constantly argue!
  • fatandforty
    Options
    My 3 squabble a lot too - it's impossible to concentrate with them around. How are you managing to study?! Mine have all gone to the leisure centre today but to do different things. One is doing gym and trampolining, one is swimming and the other is playing football Might get my homework done while I have peace and quiet.
  • fatandforty
    Options
    columbia wrote: »
    I'm about,

Got a few days of with the children, and I'm studying at home at the moment and dealing with 3 kids who constantly argue!

Have just noticed your kids are 12, 10 and 5. Mine are 12,10 and 9!!
  • columbia
    Options
    Hi

To be truthful I'm struggling to study today. Books are out and notes being made, but apart from that I doubt I will get any new information into my head today!

Yours sound like an active bunch, mine are currently argueing whilst playing guitar hero on the WII, and squabbling whilst kicking a balloon around the living room - where I am trying to work!

Thought it would be lovely to spend some time at home, now wondering if I would have been better going in to work, at least I get regular breaks there, and occasionally someone else makes me a coffee!
  • columbia
    Options
    Wow

Your childrens ages are very close, that must be hard work sometimes! Although I must admit the age difference between my eldest and my youngest can prove difficult, also my youngest has ADHD so I rarely get any peace as he is constantly on the go!
  • fatandforty
    Options
    Hi

To be truthful I'm struggling to study today. Books are out and notes being made, but apart from that I doubt I will get any new information into my head today!

Yours sound like an active bunch, mine are currently argueing whilst playing guitar hero on the WII, and squabbling whilst kicking a balloon around the living room - where I am trying to work!

Thought it would be lovely to spend some time at home, now wondering if I would have been better going in to work, at least I get regular breaks there, and occasionally someone else makes me a coffee!

What time do they go to bed?Is it possible to get some studying done then? That way you could just enjoy the day off today and maybe do something
    nice then look at the books later. Personally I'm usually too tired by the time mine are in bed!
  • columbia
    Options
    Sleep evades them!

The youngest Josh is always on the go and I struggle to get him to settle at night, the latest trick is to send him up around 7.30 -8 read him a story, give him a cuddle and allow him to watch a video, that way he at least stays in his room. Prior to this I used to spend all evening taking him back up to bed, and trying to settle him over and over again,most nights he settles to sleep around 9.30-10.30.

My middle one never settles to sleep until after 10, and the eldest around 10.30, so my evenings are never my own, so studying is very difficult, my hubby works continental shifts so most of the time I struggle on my own!
  • fatandforty
    Options
    It has been quite hard work at times especially when they were younger but mostly I must admit it's easier as they all enjoy the same things, same t.v., same stories, same activities etc. My 2 eldest are boys so consequently my daughter is quite a tom boy and up for anything! It must be very difficult coping with your youngest, especially if your husband is not there a lot. I suppose you get used to it, but still it must be tiring. At least when children are younger you get to put them to bed and have an evening to yourself!
  • columbia
    Options
    Yeah, you know what it's like having kids of your own, you get into your own routines and your life becomes your own normality, might not work for some, but you know it works for you.

My only worry is that this course has taken me so long to complete, but fingers crossed I should be finished in December, then I'm thinking of doing ACCA as my college is offering it from September, hopefully I will find the energy and inclination to carry on studying for a few more years!

Want the kids to be see that studying to better yourself can bring its rewards, also want them to realise how hard it is to do when you have responsibilities, so that they make the most of doing it when they are younger.
  • fatandforty
    Options
    I completely agree I think us Mums are a great example to our kids.

How long have you been studying AAT? I only started last September. I did a years book keeping course the year before and found I liked it and decided I'd really like to better myself. I only got pushed into this because my husbands business partner didn't want to do the books anymore and they decided it would be a good idea for me to do them rather than pay someone else!! I'd never done anything like it before. It is really nice to use my brain again.

How many years would ACCA take and what difference would that make career wise?
  • columbia
    Options
    Well I started the course in 2003-2004 taking Foundation exams in 2004, then I took 2004-2005 year out, then did Intermediate in 2006-2007 year, and took 2007-2008 year out, now I am in 2008-2009 year and I WILL complete in December!!

When I say I took a year out between levels, I still maintained studies at home,but didn't take any exams - I'm a real perfectionist and will only take the exams when I know I actually understand what I am doing, I don't like to learn just to take an exam and then forget it, I have to know I will always remember it.

As for ACCA, I think that is 3 years, but I will need to find another job as you have to have your work overseen by a qualified accountant, and I have only worked in companies where I have been the only person doing the accounts.

Still, we'll see, if it's taken 5 years to complete AAT, I don't know if I want it to take 6 years to complete ACCA!
  • fatandforty
    Options
    I suppose it depends how old you are. I do feel i'm getting a bit past it for learning such a lot of new things and am also worried that I won't ever be able to get a job and get my foot on the ladder anyway.

You are very brave to be the only one doing the accounts. There is nobody to turn to if there is a problem. Much like myself. I have been thrown in at the deep end with my husbands books and will be doing the end of year soon to hand over to the accountant. I also have to do payroll. Only for 4 people but it can be very scary when the tax man says I haven't paid things I should have. So far the tax man has always been wrong but I do find it stressful.

My eldest has just finally rolled out of bed to lie in front of the telly! He's only getting away with that as he will be playing football later. lol
  • columbia
    Options
    Well, as for age I'm currently clinging on to 37 for a few more weeks! My original intentions were to be ACCA qualified by 40, thats not to be now!

My current company uses Grant Thornton accountants to sign off year end etc, and I have built up a great rapport with them so I know if I am stuck I can ring and get an answer straight away, although I have been doing the same kind of job for 17 years now, so most days are the same without any real problems.

Gonna sign off for a while now, promised to take my daughter on a girly shopping trip for clothes and High School Musical 3!
  • *Data Input* officer
    *Data Input* officer Registered Posts: 59 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    People here should be sticking a dummy in their mouths. Kids and the like are just yet another excuse not to do any work. Lazy, I think the waord is.
  • fatandforty
    Options
    I don't think you can call people who are trying to run a home, bring up their kids, go to work to earn their money and spend any (spare!) time studying to better themselves lazy!!
  • *Data Input* officer
    Options
    I don't think you can call people who are trying to run a home, bring up their kids, go to work to earn their money and spend any (spare!) time studying to better themselves lazy!!

No disrespect, but it sounds like you use your family as an excuse to *put off* studying or if results don't go as planned. Do the course and put 100% into it. If not, you are just wasting everyone of your families time, as well as your own.
  • fatandforty
    Options
    I don't put off studying and have only taken 2 exams this year but have passed both of them and sailed through book keeping last year with flying colours. It was you that suggested having a family was a problem not me.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I am quite sure the mums are still putting 100% into it but short of tying kids down and sitting on them while studying they always will be interruptions.

Have you any kids 'data input officer'? Believe me any of the other mums on this forum will sympatise with the 2 on this topic. It is hard studying with kids running around.
  • *Data Input* officer
    Options
    I don't put off studying and have only taken 2 exams this year but have passed both of them and sailed through book keeping last year with flying colours. It was you that suggested having a family was a problem not me.

You say:
    "Personally I'm usually too tired by the time mine are in bed! "

"I suppose it depends how old you are. I do feel i'm getting a bit past it for learning such a lot of new things and am also worried that I won't ever be able to get a job and get my foot on the ladder anyway.

You are very brave to be the only one doing the accounts. There is nobody to turn to if there is a problem. Much like myself. I have been thrown in at the deep end with my husbands books and will be doing the end of year soon to hand over to the accountant. I also have to do payroll. Only for 4 people but it can be very scary when the tax man says I haven't paid things I should have. So far the tax man has always been wrong but I do find it stressful

Excuses.
  • fatandforty
    Options
    So I'm the only one that finds life stressful am I?
  • *Data Input* officer
    Options

It is hardly what someone would call difficult though. if you want to have loads of kids, that is your choice, nobodyelse's.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    No,

I am currently in the middle of having building owrk done at home, trying to decorate after each section, studying, working full time in CONSTRUCTION!!! (believe me that by itself at the moment is stressful enough) and putting up with a very grumpy bad tempered semi disabled husband.

So I think I could safely class myself as stressed!!

Oh and it is my birthday today and as usual no-one has bothered to remember.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    PAMDILL wrote: »
    No,

I am currently in the middle of having building owrk done at home, trying to decorate after each section, studying, working full time in CONSTRUCTION!!! (believe me that by itself at the moment is stressful enough) and putting up with a very grumpy bad tempered semi disabled husband.

Happy Birthday
  • columbia
    Options
    *Date Input* officer- I won't bother saying what I really think, as you are obviously a complete arse and if you're actual job is as boring as your user name then I can see why you feel the need to hijack the site judging me as lazy when you have no idea what my life is like.

ps Happy Birthday Pamdill!
  • *Data Input* officer
    Options
    *Date Input* officer- I won't bother saying what I really think, as you are obviously a complete arse and if you're actual job is as boring as your user name then I can see why you feel the need to hijack the site judging me as lazy when you have no idea what my life is like.
    Meltdown.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Don't rise to it, the funny man is trying to be a bigger tit than the one from yesterday.

I too am trying to study with three kids running riot, so fully empathise with the both of you (do you understand that word Data Inputter) suppose I ought to jack it all in and get on with my needlepoint.
  • *Data Input* officer
    Options
    Don't rise to it, the funny man is trying to be a bigger tit than the one from yesterday.

I too am trying to study with three kids running riot, so fully emphasise with the both of you (do you understand that word Data Inputter) suppose I ought to jack it all in and get on with my needlepoint.

Here we go again, kids and excuses-excuse me while I see if the record's jammed.
  • fatandforty
    Options
    Tell you what all you parents out there am sure the "date inputter" is quite right and we should be letting our kids (the future generation of this country) run riot this week so we can study our accounts books. Our kids would surely be much happier ignored and neglected. Then maybe they would grow up to input data!
  • fatandforty
    Options
    PAMDILL wrote: »
    No,

Happy birthday. Put your feet up and enjoy a glass of wine tonight.
  • *Data Input* officer
    Options
    Tell you what all you parents out there am sure the "date inputter" is quite right and we should be letting our kids (the future generation of this country) run riot this week so we can study our accounts books. Our kids would surely be much happier ignored and neglected. Then maybe they would grow up to input data!

Indeed. We recall yours and the multitude of others (even excluding those on the *failure* thread) that continually use there kids as an excuse. Sad really.
Privacy Policy