Written Procedures - does everyone else have them?

sarahwilson
sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
I'm in the process of writing up procedures of how to do things within the accounts office, largely because there aren't any and because we may be taking someone else on and these will be a good back up for them to their training.

Does everyone else have written procedures? We seem to have a few here and there but they are more of a memory aid to my supervisor than a company document.

Comments

• claire2609
    claire2609 Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Yeah we have procedures coming out of ears at my company...

Dont envy your task of writing them - When I try to write some they always end up something along the lines of:
    and then...
    and then you......
    and then.....
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Does this make me extreamly sad but i even had pictures and diagrams, with step by step guides.

The reason behind it is we have been through 5 employees in 12months they dont stay long and i got sick of having to show them what to do so i set up a training pack. Must have worked tho the latest has lasted 6 months woohooo
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I did this when I left a big bookkeeping job, I created a document of proceedures to aid the new bookkeeper. Yes, I did diagrams and everything :lol:

I keep meaning to do it for other clients but never have time :(
  • sarahwilson
    I can see its a good idea actually, its just as has been said its seems to be and then you, then do this!!

I think its one of those jobs that once you have done it that will be it, apart fromthe odd one that will need changing or amending.
  • A-Vic
    Funny thing is it turned out to be a life saver last year as i took three weeks off at once last year and so that i wouldn't be on the phone constantly i listed everthing what to do and when to do it, it was just nice to come back in to work and not have to correct everything or re-do and just slip back in to my role. not that it was perfect but it was a lot better
  • sarahwilson
    Thats what I'm thinking, if we get new staff then its a good backup to the hands on training they get. Also my supervisor isn't as up to speed with things as they might be and I am quite naughty and remember things in my head instead of writing them down!!
  • A-Vic
    Thank gawd for my A-Z A4 lever arch bible as i call it

everything i learn and teach is in there, 4 years work ways a tone but if i left it would go with me too is this wrong?
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    ** Holds Hand Up **
  • A-Vic
    Buff wrote: Β»
    ** Holds Hand Up **

Guilty as charged for this. I'm always writing and updating manuals which I think will help any new users in our office, either Locally or Nationally.
    I go so far as to put pictures in and label them "Fig 1.0 etc..."

*apologises for being uber geek

But they do work! And even I have referred to my own notes befre now.

Woohooo am not the only geek on here "yes" :lol::lol::lol:
  • sarahwilson
    The more I think about it and seeing how you guys use them I do think its a really worthwhile exercise, even if its only for existing staff to use as a reminder.
  • A-Vic
    The more I think about it and seeing how you guys use them I do think its a really worthwhile exercise, even if its only for existing staff to use as a reminder.

dont know if this will help a small list of instructions for a company (named removed) i do for most now find this saves time (simple instructions used for new employee's)

Example
    List of Instructions

1. Supplier’s (5000)

Enter supplier invoices – Supplier, Invoice
    Enter Supplier Credit Notes – Supplier Credit Note

2. Sales(4000)

Customer invoice – Customer, Invoice – starting new customer using Con No if not already on, enter if deposit/ balance
    Bank receipt checking whether cash or bank account & customer

Cash sales – (no Blue) enter as petty cash receipt enter detail if possible.

3. Customer Refunds

Treat as bank payment to N/C Named refunds in details – customer no & name Calc Net

4. Expenses (5001 onwards)

From banking sheets check for deductions e.g. wages paid out in cash
    Bank payment (1230) to appropriate N/C

5. Cheque Book Stubs

Bank Payments – either supplier & tie up with invoice or bank payment/Journal to N/C

6. Bank Statements

Enter DD’s & SO Ect either as supplier payments or bank payments.

7. Attempt Reconcile

8. Proforma Invoices e.g Blanco Gaurdian

Try to match invoices to Proforma invoices

Payments = money going in
    Receipts = money going out
    15% VAT set to T6
Privacy Policy