Independent Study

Options
TheFro
TheFro Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
Hi,

I am looking to start the Intermediate course of the AAT Diploma via distance learning. I've looked at the major colleges offering this course, but found them to be very expensive. My question is this: can i gain the AAT qualification WITHOUT paying for tuition?

Is it feasible for me to purchase my own books and simply study it myself?

If so, how and where would I sit the simulations, and how much would they cost?

Sorry for such a long-winded first post, but I would greatly appreciate any responses (I have already e-mailed the AAT but have not received a reply yet).

Thanks in advance,

Iain

Comments

• NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

For the exam units you can just buy the books and study for the exam - this is virtually what I did. However, for the skills test units you'll need to register with a college. Most distance lerning providers will allow you to take each unit seperately, so you could take simulation units with them and use self study for exam units.

Neil
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    If you have not got education to A-levels or equivilent then govenment funding is available for the tuition costs (around 80% of my college's fees) up to level three awards ( A-level/NVQ level 3 which is intermediate ). The rules were recently revised to include anyone in this scheme, not just those under 25 anymore. otherwise its persuading someone to stump up:huh:

My college also offered staged payments if paying yourself and had another fund if your income was under a certain threshold - I would ask your local colleges that offer AAT what help is available:001_rolleyes:
  • TheFro
    TheFro Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Jon, I am ineligible for funding as I already have a Degree in Finance (not Accounting, unfortunately).

Looks like I'll have to stop being so tight (typical Scot:001_smile:)) and stump up the cash myself!

Thanks for the replies,

Iain
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Jon_1984 wrote: »
    If you have not got education to A-levels or equivilent then govenment funding is available for the tuition costs (around 80% of my college's fees) up to level three awards ( A-level/NVQ level 3 which is intermediate ). The rules were recently revised to include anyone in this scheme, not just those under 25 anymore. otherwise its persuading someone to stump up:huh:

My college also offered staged payments if paying yourself and had another fund if your income was under a certain threshold - I would ask your local colleges that offer AAT what help is available:001_rolleyes:

Unfortunatley this will only fund foundation level - next level you pay yourself

And the stage payments are DD monthly but you have to pay a third when you enrol
Privacy Policy