Around the World

nakeyj
nakeyj Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
Hi folks,
In seven years time I intend to embark on a round the world adventure. The reason for the seven year delay is that it gives me plenty of time to complete my studying (AAT & CIMA or ACCA) and also save enough money for the trip. The current itinerary goes a little like this (this is still a sketchy plan and very much subject to change), Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Pakistan, India, China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Barbados, Mexico, San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Boston, New York, Washington, Florida, then back home in time for Xmas - phew.

I was just wondering whether anybody had any advice or recommendations for me really. Things like, places to go, places to avoid, general travel advice, things like that. Also, I was wondering if someone might be kind enough to hazard an educated guess as to how much this is going to cost me, bearing in mind that I will be staying in hotels & B&B's and I'll be trying to avoid flying where possible.

Thanks in advance for any kinds words and advice contributed to this thread, it's greatly appreciated and all taken on board.

Nathan

Comments

• Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Dont know too much about travelling as opposed to holiday(ing) but I reckon you could slash the accommodation budget by half at least by using hostels, for example I know there is one under the golden gate bridge for about 12 pound a night. Forget the hotels, or at least in the westernised areas you are travelling.

Also be aware of injections required, and visas for places such as India.

Paul
  • nakeyj
    nakeyj Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    Thanks Paul, I hadn't given much thought to hostels, it's definitely something I'll look into further. With regard to the vaccinations, I shall be seeking medical advice well in advance of my departure so hopefully I'll be covered. How can I find out more about the Visa's required?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    nakeyj wrote: Β»
    Hi folks,
    In seven years time I intend to embark on a round the world adventure. The reason for the seven year delay is that it gives me plenty of time to complete my studying (AAT & CIMA or ACCA) and also save enough money for the trip. The current itinerary goes a little like this (this is still a sketchy plan and very much subject to change), Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Pakistan, India, China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Barbados, Mexico, San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Boston, New York, Washington, Florida, then back home in time for Xmas - phew.

I was just wondering whether anybody had any advice or recommendations for me really. Things like, places to go, places to avoid, general travel advice, things like that. Also, I was wondering if someone might be kind enough to hazard an educated guess as to how much this is going to cost me, bearing in mind that I will be staying in hotels & B&B's and I'll be trying to avoid flying where possible.

Thanks in advance for any kinds words and advice contributed to this thread, it's greatly appreciated and all taken on board.

Nathan

Take me i'll carry your bags :laugh:
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Thanks Paul, I hadn't given much thought to hostels, it's definitely something I'll look into further. With regard to the vaccinations, I shall be seeking medical advice well in advance of my departure so hopefully I'll be covered. How can I find out more about the Visa's required?

You have to go to the Indian embassy

Paul
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    ...advice..

Avoid Iraq....

And Afghanistan....

And any other country we bomb in the next seven years....

And those countries' 'allies'....

And those countries with large numbers of religionistas...

And third world countries...

And those countries that hate Britain...and 'The West'

And those countries that are 'a bit....wierd'...

....Have you thought about just going to Skegness for the weekend??
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Wonderful Yanks

Just take a trip from the east coast to the west coast of the US. Apparently, if you go by "World Champion Baseball Team" and "World Superbowl Champs" they are the workd anyway.

My friend has just been travelling for a few months, really jealous! He went to Aus and travelled round the coast line then flew to Thailand then Japan and then back to UK. He said he loved it and was planning his next trip. 7 years is a long time to plan ahead - 7 years ago, I thought I was going to be entering the army as an Officer!... how things change
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    I would find out where Kate Adies is planning to go, and then go somewhere else. That woman loves her warzones.
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    And of course avoid London 'cos its full of wierd people eh Mat?? Seriously though, what a great thing to work towards after all your studies.

Buy a "Back Packers" guide, which gives advice on what and what NOT to take. You need to travel as light as possible - carrying a full pack even short distances in hot countries is murder! Open a bank account that doesn't charge for taking money out abroad. Save up twice as much money as you think you might need - if you want to do the adrenalin activities they cost more than you think, especially when you get the dvd etc. And once you've done one youll want to try others.

Might also be useful to pick up another language.

I doubt if you will get into North Korea as it is still the tightest communist country in the world.
  • A-Vic
    Am so gelous but determined one day to save enough money and do the same.

Me and my friend have vowed if we win the lottery to pack a camper van and tour the festivals of the world (music)
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Here's a jolly nice musical festival for you A-Vic. You will need to save up for a posh frock too.

http://viennesewaltz.net/schedule.html
  • LondonMatt
    Jan wrote: Β»
    And of course avoid London 'cos its full of wierd people eh Mat??
    Defo, London is full of crazies :blink: :drool: :scared: :tongue_smilie:

Accept Sarf London tho, of course
  • LondonMatt
    Cullen wrote: Β»
    Here's a jolly nice musical festival for you A-Vic. You will need to save up for a posh frock too.

I wouldn't want to go around the world to 'experience other cultures' :001_rolleyes: but going around the world to all the major (proper) music festivals?....Now I could do that
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Now that would be cool....go to all the WOMAD's around the world!!!

:thumbup:
  • A-Vic
    Cullen wrote: Β»

ooo i heard tellica were headlining there lmao

btw PASSSSS
Privacy Policy