Becoming a tutor

Options
Ben
Ben Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
In today's climate the article in March issue was very encouraging.
It is not very clear though whether one must obtain an "Acceptable assessor award" first, before one is able to set off on this path or whether it is possible to act as a tutor in a teaching post only without acting as an assessor or a verifier.
Any information on recommended training providers for A1 or V1 would also be very welcoming.

Comments

• farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I was asked to tutor by my local college(level one OCR bookkeeping). I had to take the PTLLS(preparing to teach in the lifelong sector) paid for by the goverment because they are anxious to get more tutors. I also had to register with Protocol National in Nottingham, they are the people who co-ordinate part time tutors or visiting lecturers as we are called.
    It initiallly looks like a decent hourly rate, until you realise that you don't get paid for lesson prep or marking, all of which has to be done in your own time.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Ben wrote: »
    In today's climate the article in March issue was very encouraging.
    It is not very clear though whether one must obtain an "Acceptable assessor award" first, before one is able to set off on this path or whether it is possible to act as a tutor in a teaching post only without acting as an assessor or a verifier.
    Any information on recommended training providers for A1 or V1 would also be very welcoming.

You can be working towards your A1 whilst in a teaching position, you do require this to be able to mark skills tests.

Untill you achieve this your marking has to be double marked.

I have become a Tutor...and I am really enjoying it.......

Good luck....if you need any more info you can PM me and I will help all I can.
  • Ben
    Options
    Becoming a tutor

Many thanks for very helpful responses
  • axl2derv
    axl2derv Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Ben,

You could try asking Dean as I believe he teaches for Kaplan.
  • Ben
    Options
    Becoming a tutor

Thanks all,
    In summary;
    In order to assess and/or verify AAT qualifications you would need to achieve or be in the process of achieving an assessor and verifier award.
    But, you cannot it seems (From what I've looked at) apply for A1/V1 awards unless you have candidates you're already assessing.
    So it seems the path is to find a teaching/tutoring post first then apply for assessor/verifier award.
    I wonder if I got it right.
    Thanks again to those who offered one to one help.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Ben wrote: »
    Thanks all,
    In summary;
    In order to assess and/or verify AAT qualifications you would need to achieve or be in the process of achieving an assessor and verifier award.
    But, you cannot it seems (From what I've looked at) apply for A1/V1 awards unless you have candidates you're already assessing.
    So it seems the path is to find a teaching/tutoring post first then apply for assessor/verifier award.
    I wonder if I got it right.
    Thanks again to those who offered one to one help.

If you have the time, you can actually apply to your local college and offer to get your teaching hours by observing and assisting your AAT tutor, for no pay, that helps you towards you Cert Ed (certificate f Education) and A1 because you also need to be working towards some form of Teaching Qualification. This also enables you to get the candidates you need for your A1.

I started off by doing this and I was in the right place at the right time and a Tutor post came up.

Good luck
Privacy Policy