Business or Personal tax?

Options
dobbieobby
dobbieobby Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I'm just about ready to order the Techician unit. Is it best to go for the Business tax unit or Personal tax unit please?
What's everyone else gone for?

Comments

• anastasia
    anastasia Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I've gone for personal. My emploer said that it's more difficult than business to learn on practice and that business tax is more common sense.
    However many people say that actual AAT exam for Personal Tax is easier that Business Tax.
  • dobbieobby
    Options
    Hmm, thanks for that. Anyone else please??
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Both! :001_smile:

Regards

Dean
  • Dorset Student
    Dorset Student Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I did both Personal and Business tax and I thought the personal tax was a lot easier than the business tax.

Tracy
  • dobbieobby
    Options
    Thanks for that! I probably will do personal. Boss is trying to talk me into doing business, but I cant see the point as I'll never be in the position to complete one...
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I agree with Dean - do both! You say you won't be in a position to do a business tax return, but it would still be useful to understand how it's computed when preparing personal tax returns.

Personally I found business tax easier than personal tax. Also if you do both and happen to fail one at least you've got another one to fall back on for your AAT if you're taking another optional unit.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If you're going into general practice and therefore dealing with the standard sole traders, Ltd Cos etc you will need business tax. You can't really deal with these clients perfectly without knowing the associated personal tax stuff as well so ... do both :001_tt2:

There are a lot of crossovers so it's like learning 1.5 topics not 2.
  • dobbieobby
    Options
    But the order form asks for 2 out of 4 units. I've been a credit control and doing cashflows for the past 15 years, so thought that one would be easy peasy. So just wanna do one tax unit. Need to order tomorrow. Still confused!!!
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I did both tax units and would also recommend it.

Adds a lot more value to your portfolio.

Why do the easy option that you allready know how to do?

Challenge yourself and enhance your potential by doing both tax units.

Obviously upto you.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
    Regards,

Burg
  • ajames
    ajames Registered Posts: 17 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    depends what your wanted outcome is really, what is your plan afterwards? Are you thinking of going chartered? Then which body? If its ACA, its best to do audit, BTC and PTC. Or with ACCA then there are no further exemptions, but any of the 3 would help. Or perhaps you want to work with tax more and theres the ATT route and BTC gives an exemption to paper 2... but then it would make sense to also do PTC to give you are a broader knowledge.
    So really you need to think where you want to be and how it will help your job to know what units to pick.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    ajames wrote: ยป
    ATT route and BTC gives an exemption to paper 2...

Really? Darn, I took paper 2 in November /facepalm :laugh:
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I did personal tax. It was the easiest of all the techie units.

Speegs:thumbup1:
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    My college teaches both units together, because there is a large amount of crossover between the units, and you can't do one without the other, I'm very lucky though because the course lecture used to write the simulations when the tax was assesed that way, so he knows whats going on. :thumbup1:
Privacy Policy