Medical cover

Options
Dean
Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
Just wondering what people think of private medical cover?

Does anyone have cover? If you do, you must think it's value for money? What persuaded you to take it out etc etc?

I've had the gumf sent through a couple of times now and I've just had a cancer scare - litterally just. Had my scan on Monday and pleased to say I've been given the all clear! Never been so frightened!

Regards

Dean

Comments

• jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Hi Dean,

Sorry can't give you any comments on private medical cover as never had it, although like you have thought about it. Very pleased to hear you've had the all clear, scares like that do make you sit up and think and put your life in order, and, most of all be so thankful.

Going out tonight to celebrate hubby's birthday so will have drink to your health too :biggrin:
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I have medical insurance and can highly recommend it.
  • Ben
    Ben Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Medical cover

Hi Dean,
    I'm no expert, I know usually there is a moratorium period.
    Also probably most of us will need the most care in our retirement. Soo have to think financing the premium payments once we're retired (Employer will not pay).
    These may be the minuses as there are in all things.
    I had the option but chosed to take the cash value in my pay for the above reason. Yet I'm neutral.
    At the end of the day it's another choice for a price.
    Very happy for you it was a false scare, I too had one.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Actually there are some serious minuses.

If you have had private medical care and then your private care allowances run out, the NHS will be reluctant to take on your care unless there are extenuating circumstances.
  • Dean
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! After writting this i've be laid up with some stomache gastro thingy - guess it was just a 'worry dump'.

Regards

Dean
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi Dean

Glad that you are ok.

My personal view point on this is that yes, private healthcare is nice to have to access speedy visits to a doctor in nice surroundings. However, (and I know that you hear awful things that happen to people with the NHS) I would say that when it is really serious the NHS are great.

I would think that the reassurance of having an insurance to cover loss of earnings or at least the mortgage would be a better use of your money and having this worry taken away whist you are ill would probably help relax you and speed up your recovery.

But I do recall from a long distant thread that your partner has a good job and so perhaps you would not need that anyway.

Poodle
  • Dean
    Options
    Thanks Poodle.

My partner's a doctor and hence asking the question here - naturally I've asked her and in essence she said when it's 'needed' the NHS is there. However, she is thinking of taking it out too because if she needed treatment she wouldn't have all the people around she knew .

I think you I'm inclined to agree with you in that insurance for loss of earnings maybe a better use of a monthly standing order - many thanks.

Regards

Dean
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    You have your own personal doctor on call and you are considering insurance?!

Sounds like you are already fully covered!
  • Poodle
    Poodle Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    At the risk of being thrown off the forum.
    If she is the doctor.Umm....that makes role playing very interesting. Do you dress up as the nurse?

:laugh:

Poodle
  • Dean
    Options
    You have your own personal doctor on call and you are considering insurance?!

Sounds like you are already fully covered!

I've let her stick needles in me before, if you saw what happened you'd be considering cover too! :laugh:

Apparently I made her nervous. Family/loved ones and needles don't mix. :001_tongue:

Regards

Dean
  • Dean
    Options
    Poodle wrote: Β»
    At the risk of being thrown off the forum.
    If she is the doctor.Umm....that makes role playing very interesting. Do you dress up as the nurse?

Poodle

I don’t even know how to dignify that with a reply!

Regards

Dean
Privacy Policy