My website!

Options
2»

Comments

• Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'm not sure what to do about the colour scheme now because I liked it but the general feedback is that everyone else doesn't! :001_unsure:
    Something I noticed: there's a fair bit of blank space between the logo and the top menu item on the left. This is making me have to scroll to see the rest of the menu items, which I might miss.

I'm hoping this will be fixed when I get the scaling right. Which I still haven't managed to do! But my other half thinks he knows how to do it so we'll have a play and get it re-published.

Thanks again :thumbup1:
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Gem, it takes alot of time to get the website right, I'm not sure if mine is okay still. I have posted a link to mine if you would like to see it. Like others have said it is hard to see the co logo, but I love the name you have decided to call your company.

I quite enjoyed designing my website so have fun!
  • lorraine
    Options
    Sue wrote: »
    Hi Gemma

When I set up my website, I decided it was best not to include too much as I looked at other websites for ideas and found when there was a lot on the page I found I was just scanning through & didn't read any of it properly.

My website is www.trimuk.net

Once you have set the website up set it as your homepage and click on it as much as possible, a couple of months ago I was on page 20 for a google search of 'Bookkeeper Dorset', I have now reached page 1.

Sue

Sue
    I like how you have kept your site simple it is easier to read and find info. The site looks really professional.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    I've just looked at the site in IE and I see what you all mean now about the font colour etc. it is difficult to read in IE but at home in firefox it looks fine :confused1: and the font that it's showing in IE isn't the font I picked! It should all be the same as the links on the left but the title and the content looks like Times to me.

The program I use has a feature to preview in both firefox and IE, and the previews looked fine so I don't understand why the live one isn't the same :confused1:
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I designed my own family website (using the probably long defunct Netscape Composer) a few years ago and would always suggest using IE as a default viewer rather than Firefox, Opera, Safari etc. Like it or not - and I know some vehemently don't - but IE is still the exclusive browser on most of the world's machines and far more likely to be the one any potential clients will use to view your website.

I haven't seen your site yet Gem as it was down when I tried but I will have a look soon!
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    It looks pretty much the same in IE and Firefox to me. Most of the differences between IE and standards compliant browsers are with layout though sometimes colours are rendered slightly differently. The menu links are images rather than text, so I imagine any issues there are to do with the program you're using.

As I said before, the progam's churning out some pretty odd HTML so it's not really that easy to figure out what's going on anyway. I knew there was a reason why people should employ professionals to do this stuff,we write better code :001_smile:

In general, it's one of the facts of web design that you don't have complete control of how sites are rendered - things depend user's system set up and browser configuration and you d your best to make things so they work OK accross the board. This is one reason why you should never trust internal previews - always test in a real browser or better still several.

@blobbyh
    All professional designers will design for both IE and Firefox. IE is getting closer to implementing the W3C standards but there it still has annoying quirks, mainly in the way it handles positioning, that have to be allowed for. At least IE7 handles transparency in images properly, that was a real pain in IE6 and earlier. I use Firefox as my initial target browser partly because it has a better set of tools available (e.g Chris Pendrick's excellent Web Developer Tools) but mainly because I think it's better to code to the standards and then do the tweaks for IE's eccentricities as required.
  • lorraine
    Options
    Hi Gemma

Once you have set the website up set it as your homepage and click on it as much as possible, a couple of months ago I was on page 20 for a google search of 'Bookkeeper Dorset', I have now reached page 1.

Sue

I am going to keep clicking on mine too at moment its on the end of page 4!
  • Gem7321
    Options
    How long did it take for your site to even come up on google? We've registered and it's still not there, they said it can take up to a month!
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Clicking on your site won't have any effect on your Google ranking - it would hardly make for useful search results if it did. Having quality and relevant content, appropriate keyword tags and most of all having other sites linking to yours are the principle factors.

Have a look at what Google says about this for more info.
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I signed up to Google Adwords as well and that moved me forward a few pages.

I was advised to keep selecting my website by a few different IT people I know. I had been hovering around page 20 for a year until they told me so it definitely worked for my website.
  • lorraine
    Options
    I signed up to Google Adwords as well and that moved me forward a few pages.

I was advised to keep selecting my website by a few different IT people I know. I had been hovering around page 20 for a year until they told me so it definitely worked for my website.

I have signed up to google adwords also and i can see my site move up the more i click
  • lorraine
    Options
    Gem7321 wrote: »
    How long did it take for your site to even come up on google? We've registered and it's still not there, they said it can take up to a month!

I think mine took a few of weeks to show on google.
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I think Google Adwords, adds your website to the links on the right hand side. I never use those links myself, I only discovered my website there by accident.

You might need to put some text on your website, with some keywords, before you appear on a search. I was told that there has to be links between the keywords that you set up with google and the text on your website.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    I'm on google!

My laptop's broken atm so I haven't been able to do any more work on the website. My other half has decided he wants to take over and design it for me and I'm more than happy to let him!

Now I just need some clients...
Privacy Policy