Payroll/PAYE Question

Options
T.C.
T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I have a new client who is in a bit of a muddle with an ex-employee. She took on this person, who was not previously working, and paid her £91.68 per week for 3 months, then let her go. She did not register as an employee so did not take any tax or NI from her. The ex-employee has found another job and is demanding a P45. I suggested that she offer a statement of pay, but the ex-employee is demanding a P45. Obviously she can't have one. What do you suggest, bearing in mind the amount paid to her. :confused1:

Comments

• T.C.
    Options
    She as not registered as an employer, so no reference number!
    I have told her to give a statement of pay and leave it at that, afterall she was below the PET so it should be ok, shouldn't it!?!
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Sorry just realised so deleted post. All I would suggest is for your client to explain that as she earned so little she is not entitled to a P45 and that a statement of earnings is all she would get.

Would also explain that it is not that important given the closeness to end of tax year.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    T.C. wrote: »
    I have a new client who is in a bit of a muddle with an ex-employee. She took on this person, who was not previously working, and paid her £91.68 per week for 3 months, then let her go. She did not register as an employee so did not take any tax or NI from her. The ex-employee has found another job and is demanding a P45. I suggested that she offer a statement of pay, but the ex-employee is demanding a P45. Obviously she can't have one. What do you suggest, bearing in mind the amount paid to her. :confused1:

If they really dont want to register as employers tell them to get the employee to complete a P46 and send it to the tax office as they hadnt paid and tax or national insurance it wouldn't make a difference.
  • T.C.
    Options
    Well I guess that is what the new employer will do anyway. Thanks.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    :thumbup1:
    T.C. wrote: »
    Well I guess that is what the new employer will do anyway. Thanks.
Privacy Policy