Hobbies

Buff
Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
So,

I'm the kind of guy that doesn't stick to one thing often unless I really enjoy it, like playing/watching football / sports with a ball, VBA programming, faffing about on tinterweb amongst a few other select activities.

I go through phases where I think starting something new would be a good idea, reecntly I have tried my hand at playing the guitar and learning the piano - both of which got the one way ticket to the landfill after a short space of time.

I'm now going to be starting (when I decide to click the enrol button) Football Coaching qualifications to gain coaching badges so I can coach my son's football team (when he's old enough in 5 years time). I think it's something I would really like to do and am hoping to stick this out.

Question is then, do you know anyone who has taken coaching badges before and what fads have you lot had / or currently going through?
Β«1

Comments

• Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Buff wrote: Β»
    So,

I'm the kind of guy that doesn't stick to one thing often unless I really enjoy it, like playing/watching football / sports with a ball, VBA programming, faffing about on tinterweb amongst a few other select activities.

I go through phases where I think starting something new would be a good idea, reecntly I have tried my hand at playing the guitar and learning the piano - both of which got the one way ticket to the landfill after a short space of time.

I'm now going to be starting (when I decide to click the enrol button) Football Coaching qualifications to gain coaching badges so I can coach my son's football team (when he's old enough in 5 years time). I think it's something I would really like to do and am hoping to stick this out.

Question is then, do you know anyone who has taken coaching badges before and what fads have you lot had / or currently going through?

Im quite boring with changing hobbies. Played squash since I was 13, and guitar since I was fourteen!! Still do both several times a week!! I did Karate from 12 - 16, still regret giving up, but at the time it got in the way of going out!! Still want to pick it back up again some day.

How could I forget my biggest interest / hobby - cooking!!!!
  • Buff
    I have even thought about joining a dance class because I have absolutely NO rhythm whatsoever. Then I get scared of going and just think of other things... I need to overcome that fear of ridicule.
  • SeanyBoy
    SeanyBoy Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Paul24 wrote: Β»
    Im quite boring with changing hobbies. Played squash since I was 13, and guitar since I was fourteen!! Still do both several times a week!! I did Karate from 12 - 16, still regret giving up, but at the time it got in the way of going out!! Still want to pick it back up again some day.

I dj at home with a pair of 400watt speakers and then sit down to relax with some xbox..

xbox is my main hobby.. i go online and woop guys on Call of duty.. anybody with me on this one??
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I played the cello and write music but stopped after a few years and a few levels....regret that now...bought a cello to take it up again but havnt yet...bought a guitar, did that for a week now thats collecting dust too....
    i like photography and do that when i can, i like reading horror books, use to play computer games but i get too angry and swear and be very ignorant so none of my family allows me to play them anymore...lol

i do glass engraving sometimes and grow chilli plants which i love doin...

:001_smile:
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    My brother has done some FA Coaching badges,

I will catch up with him and find out some info for you:thumbup1:
    Regards,

Burg
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    i would love to play guitar, tried it for a couple of years in my teens but have terrible brain to finger co-ordination - plus being not a kick off the arse of tone deaf does not help.

also used to play piano but gave it up for same reason.

Did tae-kwon do for a few years in my 30's but not masochist enough to enjoy people hitting me.

Asides from that: reading - just about anything, weight training (when I get a chance) and decorating (not very well)
  • Buff
    learning a bit more about you guys, I think the most unique so far is Chilli Plant growing... how unique, I've never known someone to grown chillis. Followed closely by glass engraving. I think i'd be too fearful of the glass shattering all over me.

Burg, if you could that would be great - my email if yoiu have anything useful for me is thefacoach@googlemail.com - THANKS
  • SeanyBoy
    i like to sell pebbles on brighton beach on saturdays..
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Is that a euphemism SeanyBoy..... :ohmy:
  • SeanyBoy
    Is that a euphemism SeanyBoy..... :ohmy:

errr... no :confused1:
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Buff wrote: Β»
    learning a bit more about you guys, I think the most unique so far is Chilli Plant growing... how unique, I've never known someone to grown chillis. Followed closely by glass engraving. I think i'd be too fearful of the glass shattering all over me.

Burg, if you could that would be great - my email if yoiu have anything useful for me is thefacoach@googlemail.com - THANKS

i love growing chilli plants...you have to make sure you pollinate the flowers otherwise your chillies wont grow!!! lol i did it as an enterprise unit with students when i was a lecturer at college...Β£30 to get all the equipment etc and made a profit of over Β£500....

as for the glass i havnt had one shatter yet....

:001_smile:
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I help with the running of my sons football team (under 7's) get quite a buzz from this but not done any coaching badges. Word to the wise the manager of the team is a great bloke who doesnt have a kid in the team is not biased to one kid or another and yet you would not believe the stick he has had since the start of the season.

A lot of parents dont like the idea that their kid is not good enough for the team or might not play every week but cant be bothered to coach themselves or take the kids too a new team.

My role is mainly helping out and coaching the keeper based purely on my experience of 20 yrs of keeping. Must admit was quite pleased when our keeper got picked to go and train with Man Utd coaches even though I'm a Liverpool fan.

I'd say go for it with the coaching badges or even try and get involved with a local team now who may then be willing to help you achieve the badges.:thumbup1:
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    i love it when parents volunteer to help in the kids clubs. i myself am the treasurer for my daughters scout group. i have nothing to with the kids, but i free up a lot of time for the leaders by making sure the accounts are in order. i also make the juice and prepare the bickys at break time. it is 2 hours (plus a little work at home) of my time, but it is well worth it.

we are always asking for parents to stay just one every 6 weeks, for 2 hours - the amount and types of excuses we get are amazing.

sorry for hi-jacking the thread - but had to add how much we appreciate parents who are interested in helping
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    taskey wrote: Β»
    i myself am the treasurer for my daughters scout group.

The treachery - girl scouts?! :lol:

What was wrong with how it was in the old days with Boy Scouts and Girl Guides?:001_tt2:

Hmmm not sure that I'm in the best posistion to mention "Old Days" considering my age but hey!:laugh:
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    no it is a scout group with girls and boys in, only because there are not enough adults for seperate groups - not impressed though, they have still kept the boys names for the groups, beavers cubs and scouts - i often jibe the boys and say we are changing it to rainbows and brownies....followed by evil laugh - boy does that upset them and keep them out of my way for the night.

tracy
  • AdamR
    Haha that's cruel! What age group are they? I know there is a band called Explorer Scouts (ex Venture Scouts) and they were always meant to be a mix of guides and scouts beyond the age bracket of their respective groups.

I think you made the switch at 16 or something I can't really remember.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Music Festivals - prepairing for Music Festivals and poker at Music Festivals and study

Gawd i have no life
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Well theres looking after the fishtank, my involvment with the St. John Ambulance youth dept in the county (regrettably much reduced involvment whilst evening classes carry on). Also fiddling round with computers

oh and the off and on model railway:001_rolleyes:
  • AdamR
    Jon_1984 wrote: Β»
    oh and the off and on model railway:001_rolleyes:

Wish I had room to have a model railway:crying:

Although I do get to play with a full sized steam railway once in a while...:biggrin:
  • Jon_1984
    Nice!

I only model in N-gauge so I have four boards 12"x40" that live on shelf brackets when not in use - could manage a usable layout on one or two of them if it came to it.

Mind you I have to fight round the better half's card making stuff when I want to work on it.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I've done martial arts for a long time, and a bit of a gym addict. Oh and walking and the guitar...

Sadly accountancy keeps cutting into my me time! :thumbdown:
  • AdamR
    N gauge - is that the really tiny one? Half OO sort of size?

When I lived with my parents we used to have a small layout - it was nothing to look at as it was just a loop of track on a 3' x 5' board and there was no scenery or anything but it was good fun:)
  • Jon_1984
    that it is - half the scale so a quarter of the size!
  • AdamR
    Teeny weeny size indeed. Nah, give me the 4' 8.5" gauge to play with anyday!
  • Jon_1984
    would love 4'8.5" but SWMBO seems to like seeing me at weekends hence stuck on the 9mm gauge.
  • AdamR
    would love 4'8.5" but SWMBO seems to like seeing me at weekends hence stuck on the 9mm gauge.

Funny, my mum never seems to mind when my dad goes away for a weekend to play trains!:laugh:

As for me, I bow down to no one so I could go whenever I feel like it. However, its 150 miles there and back so my visits are often dictated by how often I can scrounge a lift!
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I play in a Brass Band, read almost anything I can get my hands on, but especiallt science fiction/fantasy, and dabble in glass painting (although I haven't done any for ages, just don't have the time at the minute) :thumbup1:
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Well theres looking after the fishtank, my involvment with the St. John Ambulance youth dept in the county (regrettably much reduced involvment whilst evening classes carry on). Also fiddling round with computers

I would be here if it wasn't for the St Johns! :001_smile:
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Music Festivals - prepairing for Music Festivals

Thats my hobby too, well one of them, have been purchasing quite a few items and I am getting excited for glastonbury, have already practised putting the tent up havent slept in it yet lol.

I also like growing my flowers and plants in the garden, soon be that time again!

My boyfriend has a small boat I enjoy going out on that I absolutely love being outdoors! - when the weather is warm.

Oh and I have been going to banger racing at mendip raceway for a few years now.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I pole dance. Been doing it nearly a year now and I love it!:thumbup:

I've played guitar for 18 years (but am not nearly as good as I could be for that length of time playing, sadly, my own fault!), and also a bit of piano and singing.

I like walking my dogs and am considering joining the TA.:thumbup1:

Yes, I'm mental :lol::lol:
Privacy Policy