Sub-Contractors ( Estimated earnings)

Options
astra
astra Registered Posts: 13 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Do any members have a proforma sheet/schedule for clients with no books or records to fill in income & expenditure and sign.

Comments

• ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I haven't, but you could direct them to a free software download like VT Cashbook to enter simple information about incoming/outgoing transactions.
  • astra
    Options
    I think you missunderstand, when a client walks in off the street with nothing then earnings & expenditure need to be estimated, hense a sheet with weeky/monthly totals and a declaration to be signed by client.
    Sub-Contractors are a good example as they have there earnings fiqure from CIS vouchers but usualy don't keep any record of expenditure, ie fuel,accommadation,tools etc.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Then they have to learn to keep receipts if they don't want a big tax bill!!
  • astra
    Options
    They have allready paid tax via CIS @ 20%, only a very small amount of subys keep records hense the need for estimated expenditure to retreive a portion of the tax back.
  • ademoore
    Options
    Bluewednesday is right, I think clients sometimes need to be reminded that without proper care for their recordkeeping, HMRC can impose large penalties if caught out. A signed declaration only covers your back, but doesnt actually do them any favours.
  • astra
    Options
    No matter how much advise and warning you give clients regarding keeping receipts & records there is still a high percentage that ignore the advice and turn up in April/May with nothing, hence the orogional post.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Astra,

You keep saying that a high proportion of subbies keep no records..

I think you should actually address why a high proportion of your subbies keep no records.

Obtaining estimates as a last resort is all well and good but I would never condone the practice by giving the client a guess sheet to use year on year. Better to encourage them to improve their records.
  • jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Obtaining estimates as a last resort is all well and good but I would never condone the practice by giving the client a guess sheet to use on year on year. Better to encourage them to improve their records.

Couldn't agree more! Better to train your clients!
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I think you are being harsh on Astra. We are all aware that clients should be educated on the need to keep proper accounting records. However, I also have a proportion of clients ("Subbies") that do not keep any records other than maybe mobile phone bills and invoices for new vans.

Each year I explain the consequences of not keeping accounting records and each year I am given the same explanation that they know what will happen. Unfortunately its a case of their not bothered until it does happen.

With regards to your original post we prepare an income and expenditure account with the same wording that we use on all accounts and we then send a covering letter reminding them that the onus is on them to maintain proper accounting records.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi Astra

I had the exact same problem so i suggested and made an expense weekly sheet for them a little bit like a cash book but a lot less complicated - then even get them to attached their recepts to the sheets sounds simple but it works and saves you a lot of hassle.

And no distrispect but i also agree your being harsh on Astra, we also have the same problem with clients and records
  • ademoore
    Options
    I certainly never meant any disrespect, namely to astra, but it something I am quite firm with my clients about. Unfortunately it does turn itself around on me, since I now get every receipt under the sun they are trying to put through, so I have to spend time filtering through those that simply cannot be claimed for/justified. :tongue_smilie:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    I certainly never meant any disrespect, namely to astra, but it something I am quite firm with my clients about. Unfortunately it does turn itself around on me, since I now get every receipt under the sun they are trying to put through, so I have to spend time filtering through those that simply cannot be claimed for/justified. :tongue_smilie:

Lol yes the packets of chewing gum and weekly shopping receipts so funny :lol:
  • jilbo
    jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    :ohmy: I didn't mean any disrespect either. Maybe I shouldn't come on after a whole bottle of chardonay!! :blushing: I know some clients just can't be trained, my favourites are subsistence claims, receipts from Morrisons containing children's meals :lol:
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    hey, i had an anne summers receipt in the middle of a pile the other day - now that's a REALLY well trained client! :lol:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    JodieR wrote: ยป
    hey, i had an anne summers receipt in the middle of a pile the other day - now that's a REALLY well trained client! :lol:

lmao did you include it? make for interesting explantion lol
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    no no, luckily it was folded in half so i didn't see what was on it... i just handed it back and said 'I don't think I can get away with putting that through for you'. He went a little red and very quiet after that! :blushing:
  • ademoore
    Options
    heh, one of my clients 'is' an ann summers party area organiser, doing their accounts can be quite enlightening! :blushing:
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    JodieR wrote: ยป

I have a couple of clients with Anne Summers receipts. Both of the them are self employed dancers.
Privacy Policy