Extra 4% Tax for Self Employed??

jilbo
jilbo Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
My boss has come in today saying he read in the paper at the weekend that the self employed are going to be hit with an extra 4% tax. He is being very vague. Does anyone know what he's referring to??

Comments

• CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Can't find anything about this on Google or on the BBC website. I would have thought this would have been all over the news if true.
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    jilbo wrote: ยป
    My boss has come in today saying he read in the paper at the weekend that the self employed are going to be hit with an extra 4% tax. He is being very vague. Does anyone know what he's referring to??

The revenue is still showing 8% on their info page but I read the same thing in the weekend papers
  • jilbo
    CJC wrote: ยป
    Can't find anything about this on Google or on the BBC website. I would have thought this would have been all over the news if true.

Thanks for looking, I can't find anything myself either. He does have a tendency to talk out of his a***!!
  • jilbo
    The revenue is still showing 8% on their info page but I read the same thing in the weekend papers

:huh: Come on spill, what exactly did you read in the paper?
  • farmergiles
    jilbo wrote: ยป
    :huh: Come on spill, what exactly did you read in the paper?

Daily Mail, saturday p14, comment quote
    " All this, on top of business rates going up 5 per cent and national insurance for the self employed by 4 per cent"
  • jilbo
    Daily Mail, saturday p14, comment quote
    " All this, on top of business rates going up 5 per cent and national insurance for the self employed by 4 per cent"

Ahhh, NI not tax makes more sense. Thanks for that farmer :001_smile:
  • CJC
    There was increase in NI contributions for the self-employed to 8.5% from April 2011 announced in the pre-Budget report back in November. Old news and no idea where the Daily "I wouldn't wipe my arse on it" Mail got 4% from.
  • CJC
    And the Mail missed a trick - they could have said it was going up by 6.25% which would have sounded even scarier.
  • farmergiles
    I emailed the tax partner in the last practice I temp'ed in and they have not heard anything other than the half of one percent increase in 2011, as CJC said earlier
Privacy Policy