Quickbooks help needed..

Options
deanshepherd
deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Is there a simple way of posting bank/cash payments in QB?

i.e. without having to set up a supplier and a bill first?

I would like to just be able to use the 'Write cheques' option and post directly to an expense account. However, in the drop down box you can only select supplier accounts which means setting up suppliers for every tiny little receipt.

Edited to add:

Ah, just noticed you don't have to record anything in the drop down box at all! Perfect.

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Don't you just love quickbooks - it seems to take me ages to find the best way to do each little thing!
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    Yep, and as much as I loathe Sage, I can't help thinking it is much easier to fathom out!
  • sheelagh
    sheelagh Registered Posts: 133 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    QB

The following is all from memory (I don;t have ready access to QB), but it might help

Use the "Use Register" option in the bank module - this shows you a list of existng transactions, with a blank template to add more.
    Leave the supplier / payee field blank
    There is a "splits" button which opens out the template so you can select your nominal code.
    Then, close the "splits" section and hit "record".

In the latest version of QB you can't record the VAT element from the splits section in the "register", you have to use the "write cheque" option.
    I think you can "write a cheque" without a payee name. Alternatively, record your transaction with VAT, then double click on it to open up the same transaction in the "write cheque" window, where you should be able to edit VAT detail.

If you are compelled to enter a payee name, enter the name and you will be presented with a number of options - supplier, employee, other. If you don't want to enter full supplier details, opt for "quick add". The payee name will appear in the supplier list, but at least you don;t have to go through the full set up process.

I loath QB too, and the latest version is impossible - I am sure it has a mind of it's own!!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Dean you seem to have answered your own question - glad you worked it out.
    Just wanted to add my 2 penneth worth: I love QB but am running QB 2004-2006. I won't touch the newer releases with a bargepole.

I often think that if Sage and QB combined their best bits they would be a force to be reckoned with! :lol:
  • deanshepherd
    Options
    Thanks for all the pointers - much appreciated!
  • Sevren
    Sevren Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    If you have loads of transactions to input it may be worth considering the IIF import function - it works really well and saves loads of time.

I won't waffle on as you are more than likely aware of this already, but you can load transactions straight from Excel

Naturally there is a bit of setting up to do ! - otherwise it would be too easy.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Ooh, thanks for this Sevren - is this like the .csv import into Sage function? Because that sounds really useful...! :D
  • Sevren
    Sevren Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Hi - not a SAGE user but it sounds similar.

I use an Excel add in available from here

It takes a bit of setting up but works really well.

A tip though from bitter experience, make sure you export lists from QB on a regular basis and import them into Excel - otherwise things get a bit tricky !

Happily help if you have problems
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Sevren wrote: Β»
    I use an Excel add in available from here

I would have made good use of this on a horrible job a few years back! I'm making a note of it as i'm sure i'll need it again some day.
    Thanks!
Privacy Policy