HMRC and becoming an agent

Options
imeldabye
imeldabye Registered Posts: 147 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi there, I spoke with HMRC on Monday about registering as an agent and was promised that an "agent maintainer" would call me back. No-one has - and I was wondering if this was normal? Have I missed something or do they usually drag their heels?

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    imeldabye wrote: »
    Hi there, I spoke with HMRC on Monday about registering as an agent and was promised that an "agent maintainer" would call me back. No-one has - and I was wondering if this was normal? Have I missed something or do they usually drag their heels?

The Agent Maintainer is a mythical creature that only few people have spoken to, and even fewer have met. Persevere on your quest!

(Translation: phone them again) :)

PS Ask for the direct line of the agent maintainer. When you have this number DO NOT LOSE IT EVER!!!! :thumbup1: Be prepared for your average HMRC helpline employee to possibly not know what an agent maintainer is.

good luck! :lol:
  • imeldabye
    imeldabye Registered Posts: 147 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    gosh i couldn't believe that i had to wait for their call! i did ask them for the number so i could call myself but they wouldn't give it to me.....
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    imeldabye wrote: »
    gosh i couldn't believe that i had to wait for their call! i did ask them for the number so i could call myself but they wouldn't give it to me.....

They do give out agent maintainer numbers. Hold your ground! Phone them again.
    Alternatively, fill out a form 64-8 for someone (like a family member), send it to the right office (CAAT Longbenton if self employed, local office if not). Then in a few weeks, phone to discuss the client's affairs and, if you've been authorised, just ask them for your agent ref no. I'm pretty sure that's how I did it years ago.
  • monkeypuzzle47
    monkeypuzzle47 Registered Posts: 134 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    If you are self employed already and have your own tax office then give them a call. This is what I did and was set up as an agent within a week. HMRC are busy at the moment as you would expect with the new year so I wouldnt expect to get through right away, especially to someone who has a clue. When I leave messages I usually get a call back within a week and by then Ive usually resolved the problem myself. Useless. Good luck.

jenny
Privacy Policy