Cima

Options
Has anybody in here managed to nail 3 CIMA exams in one go?

I want to attack it as below:

P1, P4, P7 – November 2009

P2, P5, P8 – May 2010

P3, P6, P9 – November 2010

TOPCIMA – May 2011

Has anybody tried this approach or is thinking about trying it?

Also, does anybody know if you have to pay CIMA £205 for the exemptions from the 5 certificate papers that are charged at £41 each, if you use the AAT qualification as exemption?

Comments

• Gianni
    Gianni Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I entered for three exams last November and ended up sitting two which I passed. The problem with taking three is it requires 6 months of hard work to get through them. I wasn't prepared to spend every minute studying but I think two is fairly easy to get through (I'm just getting into studying for another two now for example to sit in May). Basically, if you want it hard enough go for it.

As for the exemptions, yes you do have to pay for it - or at least I did anyway.
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Papers 3,6, and 9 'have' to be sat in one hit any way. I don't see why you shouldn't sit them how you have suggested, especially where they all seem to be around the same 'pillar'. There can be a lot of connections between the subjects.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    P2 & P8 together is hard enough. Add another one in the mix?

Good luck
  • Dorset Student
    Dorset Student Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I had thought of trying three at one go, and doing them in the order that you listed, but changed my mind after starting my study for P1. I have now decided to go for two at a time, starting with first exams in May 2009.

I too had read that doing P2 and P8 at the same time was hard, so I will be avoiding this.

I started CIMA in January, after doing AAT final four exams in December, and had to pay the £205 exemption fee to CIMA, which does seem to me to be unfair, but there you go.

Tracy
  • Paul24
    Options
    Im sitting P1 & P8 in May. How are you finding P1?
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Over the years I have found that CIMA students tend to be in demanding jobs and have domestic commitments of one sort or another. So attempting up to 2 exams at each sitting is sensible.
    I take all 4 accounting papers (P1 P2 P7 and P8) at Managerial Level, and I sometimes (not always) recommend exAAT students to start with just one, then do one financial and one managerial paper at the next sitting, so it can take 4 sittings to complete the level.
    Good CIMA preparation demands that you understand the transformation from AAT where time tends to not be a pressure, but competency levels demand 70-75% per section, to CIMA where managing time is critical to achieve the 50% pass mark (and don't imagine that the CIMA mark scheme awards marks as generously as AAT either).

My P8 class have 2 more 3 hour classes to go followed by 2 whole days for revision. I think everyone of them will pass, but they know that the 3 hrs each week they have been in class has been the tip of the iceberg. The practice questions part of the homework can take 3-4 hours (and often this is longer still) and the reading can take another hour and a half.
    It is a commitment that can virtually wipeout any notion of leisure time, but I think it is worth it. From the second half of May until late August then leisure time can return, and the same again forom mid-November to the beginning of February
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.

Sandy, do you believe that 3 papers are possible per sitting if an individual could commit to 4 hrs per night (Mon – Fri) and 8 hrs per day (Sat – Sun) over the 2 years without classroom study but using CIMAstudy.com?
  • Dorset Student
    Options
    Paul24, I'm finding P1 tough going. I'm also doing P4 which seems much easier. Seems to be much more to learn for P1, and although it makes sense when learning it, remembering it is the difficult bit for me.

How are you finding P1?

Tracy
  • SandyHood
    Options
    Don Juan
    Can you really allocate that sort of time alongside work and home demands?

If so you could achieve it, but it looks rather all work and no play.

Sandy
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • SandyHood
    Options
    Tracy
    P1 is one of my main teaching areas
    Have you have any aspects that give you problems that I might be able to help with?

Sandy
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Gianni
    Gianni Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I'm taking P1 & P2 in May, beginning to think it may be the wrong choice by comments made in this topic! Although CIMA suggest them to be the better ones to take together?!

Is anyone else using cimastudy.com? I'm using it and finding it pretty good because it's INTERACTIVE. I went through hell for the last two I sat with just reading out of Kaplan's text books - but I guess I won't find a measure of cimastudy.com until I've taken the exams and had results.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    SandyHood wrote: »
    Don Juan
    Can you really allocate that sort of time alongside work and home demands?

If so you could achieve it, but it looks rather all work and no play.

Sandy

Some things are more important than play Sandy.

I need to get CIMA out the way ASAP and start earning a proper salary.

I was planning to start studying for P1, P4 & P7 next month rather than August when it is taught. I hopefully will be ready by November for the exams.

I have just registered with CIMA since the subscriptions run from Jan - Dec. I might as well get my money's worth since subscriptions are not worked out pro rata.
  • SandyHood
    Options
    Don Juan

My sincerest best wishes.
    If you would like any clarification of any of the points in any of the papers, I am willing to help. I'm probably most help on P1 and possibly P7, but I do know a fair bit for P4.
    Are you aware that the exams are up for a change?
    The current syllabi apply in Nov 09, but May 2010 onwards will be on a new syllabus.

I am certainly recommending that students who study with me in Chichester to follow the current P1 paper in Nov 09, as certain topics in the current P1 syllabus are also in the new paper that will replace P2.

Sandy
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks Sandy, I was unaware.

So you recommended P1 in November and P2 in May.
  • Paul24
    Options
    Paul24, I'm finding P1 tough going. I'm also doing P4 which seems much easier. Seems to be much more to learn for P1, and although it makes sense when learning it, remembering it is the difficult bit for me.

How are you finding P1?

Tracy

ABC, throughput, budget & forecasting are all fine. As is most of Std Costing. Its just remembering the word intensive bits!

I am confident Ill be ready for May, need to tackle backwards variaces and process costing though as I feel they are my weaker areas.

Paul
  • SandyHood
    Options
    Process Costing is traditionally something students find tricky.

I happen to use a similar worksheet to the CIMA study system, and really think it helps.

Years ago, I worked at Carshalton College. I felt that the students studying process costing had not experienced the type of production where it was used.
    So I approached the then vice principal about the need for a visit.
    With his approval we made our way (by bus and train) to Wandsworth to visit Youngs Brewery.
    After a tour of the process our hosts felt we should sample the product.
    Even those non-beer drinkers were catered for.
    Thankfully no one needed to drive home after.

We then looked forward to the exam with experience of a suitable industry.

Amazingly, the vice principal remembered our trip so well that he would stop me in the corridor at around the same time each year, suggesting that it was about the right time for the process costing trip. He subsequently succeeded the principal and continued to support us.
    We had many visits over the years.

I must admit I have not run such a trip since I arrived at Chichester, and now that Gales have been absorbed into Fullers I have probably missed my best opportunity. Arundel Brewery have been helpful, but are too small to meet the academic requirements of such a trip. Shame, as the beer is very good, (and the proprietor is friendly).
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Paul24
    Options
    I have worked in manufacturing before I started working in accounts, scheduling production, I feel I just need to spend time looking at it, as with CIMA (expetedly) nothing can only be looked at once!!

I had my last P1 lecture yesterday, three day revision course at the end of the month, another course exam to attempt, and endless question practice! Its worth it in many ways, if only for the sense of achievment in the short term. Plenty to look forward to in the summer though!

It seems weird when I explain to people the buzz I get in some lectures, not having a clue what the teacher is talking about, but knowing I will get it in the end with hard work!
  • Dorset Student
    Options
    SandyHood wrote: »
    Tracy
    P1 is one of my main teaching areas
    Have you have any aspects that give you problems that I might be able to help with?

Sandy
    Sandy,

Thanks for your offer of help with P1. At the moment I think I am doing OK, my main problem is remembering all of it. I will soon be ready to start my revision, and will be doing loads of questions and past papers, so will see then how much I have remembered. If I do get stuck on anything though, I may have a question or two for you.

Thanks again

Tracy
Privacy Policy