Does anyone actually use SAGE

Options
Jentel
Jentel Registered Posts: 60 Regular contributor ⭐
Is there anyone out there that uses sage. I work for a small company and i am self teaching myself how to use the software. Having only been taught the basic in foundation i have yet to do month end, year ends etc.

The co's year end is Sept and as the new fiscal year has started i need to change the financial year date. My problem is i get a message stating that if i change the date i will lose previous years values. Does this mean that all transactions, reports, balances etc etc will be lost. I have been advised that the safest way round this is to create another co. name and transpose the previous balances into the new co name with the new fiscal year. Is there a way around this as it seems to me that there is no point in being given the option to change the date if you can,t.

Comments

• jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Jentel wrote: »
    Is there anyone out there that uses sage. I work for a small company and i am self teaching myself how to use the software. Having only been taught the basic in foundation i have yet to do month end, year ends etc.

The co's year end is Sept and as the new fiscal year has started i need to change the financial year date. My problem is i get a message stating that if i change the date i will lose previous years values. Does this mean that all transactions, reports, balances etc etc will be lost. I have been advised that the safest way round this is to create another co. name and transpose the previous balances into the new co name with the new fiscal year. Is there a way around this as it seems to me that there is no point in being given the option to change the date if you can,t.

I'm a little confused why you need to change the year end date :confused1:
    If their year end is September then it shouldn't need changing just because it's a new tax year. Sorry if I'm missing the point, could you elaborate please.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jilt wrote: »
    I'm a little confused why you need to change the year end date :confused1:
    If their year end is September then it shouldn't need changing just because it's a new tax year. Sorry if I'm missing the point, could you elaborate please.

Agrees - you only change the year end on your year end nothing to do with the fiscal year.
  • Jentel
    Options
    When i am putting in entries for April date i get a message everytime stating that the date is not in the current tax year, i assumed that as the financial year date is set on sage as April 2008 that anything beyond that needs to be a new financial year April 2009.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I use Sage Accounts and have done for several years.

You don't need to change your financial year date as soon as you enter it by calender date. Some auditors prefer you to stay in your old financial year until they finish the audit and then enter closing journals.

All you have to do is process away as usual and if you enter a transaction that is outwith the finanical year set in Sage it will give you up a message to ask if you want to process it - say yes and that is you.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    When i am putting in entries for April date i get a message everytime stating that the date is not in the current tax year, i assumed that as the financial year date is set on sage as April 2008 that anything beyond that needs to be a new financial year April 2009.

It will pop up with this message, you can just click ok and proceed as normal, i.e. you can still processs transactions in a future year even if the program is still set in the previous financial year.

If you don't know how to run year end then don't. Also take frequent backups :)
  • Jentel
    Options
    PAMDILL wrote: »
    I use Sage Accounts and have done for several years.

You don't need to change your financial year date as soon as you enter it by calender date. Some auditors prefer you to stay in your old financial year until they finish the audit and then enter closing journals.

All you have to do is process away as usual and if you enter a transaction that is outwith the finanical year set in Sage it will give you up a message to ask if you want to process it - say yes and that is you.
    Thanks PAMDILL -must have just missed your response as i was reponding to the other two replys. You have answered my question perfectly. Its just seems so annoying to keep getting the message and having to say yes all the time. Much apprectiated. As i am a novice to this would it be ok to keep you as a point of contact as i know i will need lot more help in the future
  • PAMDILL
    Options
    Sorry I had started typing my answer and someone came in so my answer has come up after this message.

If your company year end is September why is your financial year in Sage set as April 2008? It must have been set incorrectly to start with.

If it is then you will need to reset it to a year start of 1st October 2008 but what date are your first transactions in Sage? If they go back earlier than that then there will be a bit of a mess to sort out at your year end.

If they are not then go to Period end change your year start dateto 1st October and make sure you don't clear your audit trail.
    Keeping the audit trail will let the auditor sort out everything at the year end.

Don't justchnage the year end date as then your audit trail etc. will clear.
  • PAMDILL
    Options
    Thanks PAMDILL -must have just missed your response as i was reponding to the other two replys. You have answered my question perfectly. Its just seems so annoying to keep getting the message and having to say yes all the time. Much apprectiated. As i am a novice to this would it be ok to keep you as a point of contact as i know i will need lot more help in the future
    Yes you can but I am self taught so other people might know better shortcuts.
  • Jentel
    Options
    PAMDILL wrote: »
    Sorry I had started typing my answer and someone came in so my answer has come up after this message.

If your company year end is September why is your financial year in Sage set as April 2008? It must have been set incorrectly to start with.

If it is then you will need to reset it to a year start of 1st October 2008 but what date are your first transactions in Sage? If they go back earlier than that then there will be a bit of a mess to sort out at your year end.

If they are not then go to Period end change your year start dateto 1st October and make sure you don't clear your audit trail.
    Keeping the audit trail will let the auditor sort out everything at the year end.

Don't justchnage the year end date as then your audit trail etc. will clear.
    I do have entries prior to Oct 08, they actually start in April 08, i would assume then that March should be their year end?? . I did think that it would be a bit confusing to change the date and then do year end in Sept. I will have a word with them to confirm.

FAERIE9 - In response to part of you reply, I take backups everyday but i noticed yesterday that when i went in to the 'restore' backups just to check i could restore ,the latest one was for 02/03/09 and i was not able to scroll for anymore. Does it only hold a certain amount of backups as i have backed up serveral times since that date
  • Pinkjo
    Pinkjo Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Just to let you know, there is a fantastic website called sageforum.co.uk who can help with all sage related queries. HTH
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Cheers for that Pinkjo :thumbup:

I never thought to look for a sage forum, just gone on there and found the answer to a question I was puzzling with!!
  • Jentel
    Options
    Pinkjo wrote: »
    Just to let you know, there is a fantastic website called sageforum.co.uk who can help with all sage related queries. HTH
    Thanks - i have just logged into it and i will post my question there about the backup files - MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Pinkjo wrote: »

Nice one also saved to my favorates
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I found this the other day, saddo that I am I think its really good:blushing:
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I work for an SME who use a slightly different software. We keep a second copy on a laptop that never goes on the main network.This allows us to restore backups to it and play with them to our hearts content to discover the consequences of x, y or z. Being able to play like this means you learn a whole lot more about the software and what it can do, without risking your data.
  • carol
    carol Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    when i used sage i would have the Daily Tips come up and read them every moring. They can help, or go into where you ask a question. Or, even better, get sage cover and ask them they are very good.
Privacy Policy