CIS Penalty :(

Options
JodieR
JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
One of my clients has just got his first CIS penalty - I've been doing his CIS returns for years and they're always submitted & paid on time, but for the month to 5 March 09 there was no CIS to pay and it completely slipped my mind to file the nil return until a few days past the deadline. So he's now got a £100 fine. I know that it was my mistake and will pay it myself, but just wondered if there is any point trying to appeal againt it? has anyone had any success appealing against a similar penalty?
:(

Comments

• groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    You can try!

I have not known them cancel a penalty due to a nil return. Things were much better in the old system.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    It's always worth a grovelling letter - you never know!
  • Baggybooks
    Baggybooks Registered Posts: 522 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I was fined for not doing the old year-end ones and I appealed and won.
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I tried appealling a similar fine when I first started out and was unaware that I needed to declare a nil return, and was told ignorance was no excuse!!!!!!
  • Baggybooks
    Baggybooks Registered Posts: 522 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I forgot about it. I'd changed systems and the payroll was e-filed and I just never thought about it - although I'd run off the report.

Because all other returns and payments were on time, I argued that it had been sent but lost in the post.
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Baggybooks wrote: »
    I forgot about it. I'd changed systems and the payroll was e-filed and I just never thought about it - although I'd run off the report.

Because all other returns and payments were on time, I argued that it had been sent but lost in the post.

That was fine under the old system, but in my experience HMRC are not accepting any excuses under new system.

The only time I have been succesful is were I argued that the client's contractor scheme should have been closed before new system started.
Privacy Policy