Should I lie in my job interview ?

Options
jay cutler
jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
I got a job interview for a PERMANENT position of Assistant Capital Accountant (Sounds big). The reason I may have to lie is because in the job description I am expected to deal with capital budgets so I may have to lie about how I dealt with Capital budgets. Honestly how many AAT studiers will really do that ? I've done spreadsheet models and budget model creation at work but nothing on that scale. So would you lie to get the job you want ? I think I may have to.

One other thing, what the hell can anyone do with capital and budgets ?? Am I forgetting something ? It maybe PCR but still it gives me a headache thinking about it.

Comments

• Sonny_L
    Sonny_L Registered Posts: 201 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Unethical and unprofessional but I'd do it. Provided I was confident I could pick up this particular task quickly.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Ive often gone for "Well I havent done it for a long while but Im confident I could pick it up again quickly"
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jay cutler wrote: »
    I got a job interview for a PERMANENT position of Assistant Capital Accountant (Sounds big). The reason I may have to lie is because in the job description I am expected to deal with capital budgets so I may have to lie about how I dealt with Capital budgets. Honestly how many AAT studiers will really do that ? I've done spreadsheet models and budget model creation at work but nothing on that scale. So would you lie to get the job you want ? I think I may have to.

One other thing, what the hell can anyone do with capital and budgets ?? Am I forgetting something ? It maybe PCR but still it gives me a headache thinking about it.

I wouldn't lie, you may get found out.
    Be honest, tell them that you aren't sure what the job does entail but that you are a fast learner and would be able to pick it up quickly. All jobs expect to have to show new people how the work is done because everyone has different systems and nobody knows every system.
  • jay cutler
    Options
    I'd like to thank you 3 for your replies. Worth considering. I'm suprised you replied though given the recession, eveyone is now desperately competing against each other for jobs. Unless your one of the lucky people who *miracously* got permanent jobs (How I envy you!).
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

Padding out a CV and interview is one thing, but clear lying is really unprofessional and no better than what those ego strokers on The Apprentice do.

I got a new job recently and didn’t need to lie at the interview. If you lie and make out you’re better than you actually are then you could end up getting caught out when it comes to actually doing the job. How do you really know you want the job if you’re not familiar with what it entails?

Competition stiff competition there might be, but how would you feel if a current colleague got a promotion over you because they sucked up to the boss? If you need to pad then go with what has already been said – be honest but be even clearer about what you are genuinely capable of.
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    I recommend an honest approach where you clearly point out your strengths and weaknesses and how your strengths make you someone the employer shouldn't miss.

I am concerned by this sentence:
    One other thing, what the hell can anyone do with capital and budgets ??

Is this job really one you should be going for?
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I am just coming to the end of interviewing for a trainee accounts assistant to work with me . I have rejected one candidate because their answers in the interview did not quite tie in with their CV experience.

Most people find it easy to lie - maintaining a lie from the start to finish convincingly is a whole different ball game....
  • jay cutler
    Options
    Again I'd like to thank you for your replies. I've decided I will not lie but graft from experience, of which I have plenty if temp unfortunately.

Sandy this is a job I am more than capable of. In fact I'm worried that my behaviour examples need to be from work only thats why i raised the question. But its ok I'm open to the competition and will play by the rules. No point lying and seeing myself embarrassed, I believe I'm the best candidate for the job and quite confident I will get it. As for the capital and budget stuff, I raised a valid point. How many people really get to work out net present value from discount factors at work on spreadsheets then create an "investment portfolio" ? I bet hardly anyone really gets to do that. I don't but thats what the job sounds like. The fixed asset register is also a simple bit of financial accounting but I don't see the management accounting side of capital. The only thing I can think of is if someone wished to buy a building or machine then needs to reallocate there overheads using overhead absorption rates and basis of allocation such as new floor space. Honestly would I really get that experience unless I get this job ?? Makes the AAT a bit deflated when I know I can post journals, reconcile bank/cash purchase ledger, set budget models using excel formulae but not knowing why and it's still not enough to step into the big wide world of capital accounting. I guess I would not be in for an interview unless they though I could do the job so I'll give it my best shot.
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Good luck with your interview
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Good luck and let us know how you get on
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    jay cutler wrote: »
    The fixed asset register is also a simple bit of financial accounting but I don't see the management accounting side of capital.

Im pretty sure that budgeting and planning and other aspects of management accounting affect the working capital cycle unless Ive been doing it wrong for a long time.
  • jay cutler
    Options
    Sandy I apologise for that first comment I made in my first post. I am doing PEV this summer and cannot believe I said I could not relate capital to management accounting when there's a whole question in PEV on capital purchase of machinery and cash flow discount factors! DOH!
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Good luck Jay!

I'm pleased you decided not to lie, you obviously have the credentials they are looking for otherwise you wouldn't have been selected for an interview.

All the best.

Tracy
Privacy Policy