The mysterys of Student Finance

Pigpen
Pigpen Registered Posts: 331 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hello

I am hoping someone on here knows how the student finance system works?

My son is off to Uni in Sept and we are trying to do his forms online?

It seems to me that if we change his address to his Dad's house (in same town) he will be entitled to a lot more assistance with his fees and maintenance loan becuse he (ex hubby) doesn't have a partner living in

Reading the small print my new husband & I are assessed as one unit and over the ยฃ60k threshold so my son would get less help as it is assumed we will support him - Which obviously we will do as much as possible but I don't see really why his stepdad should?

I am in no way trying to rip the system off as either way he is not entitled to a non repayable grant but if he applies under his dads address they will lend him a bit more which would at least cover his accomodation costs?

Very confused! Anyone else been down this road recently?

Comments

• Beautiful_bobo
    Beautiful_bobo Registered Posts: 106 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Student Loans

I am in a very similar situation, when my daughter first started uni they wanted to know the wages for both me and my (now) husband her step father. He had just sold his flat so did have some savings and I felt the same why should he come in the equation and not her father.

My daughter has now left home and is living with her fiance but because she is not married and is under 25 we still have to supply our wages informatin, so she can get her student loan.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Sorry pen not a lot of info on this but found this they might be able to help

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=543654
  • Pigpen
    Thanks Vic

The problem I have is not really with my sons Dad - We actually get on fine and he has always been a supportive brilliant Dad

- Its just that if I register him as living at his Dad's address will they physically check up - It just means he get's a bit more money by way of a loan (which he has to repay eventually I know) which should just about cover his basic costs - Then any money I give him on top is a bonus

Its such a confusing system and the Direct Gov website is rubbish at answering real questions!

I just don't want to think of him struggling all that way from home - Why can't he go to Cardiff - At least its a bit closer - Lol !
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    If he's anything like I was at 18 he'll want to be as far away from home as possible :001_smile:

Back in my undergraduate days, we got grants that were (almost) enough to keep you in beer and drugs, we got housing benefit and even got unemployment benefit over the summer. Halcyon days.
  • Pigpen
    Haha - Don't wory CJC - Its still far enough away to be independent there is just not a large expanse of water between mummy and her boy if he goes to Cardiff! ( Did I mention the uni he has chosen is Belfast?)
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Pigpen wrote: ยป
    Haha - Don't wory CJC - Its still far enough away to be independent there is just not a large expanse of water between mummy and her boy if he goes to Cardiff! ( Did I mention the uni he has chosen is Belfast?)

Be a chance to cut those apron strings, then..:lol::lol:
  • Pigpen
    I suppose so - It will be very strange especially as he is the least practical person in the whole world - Altho that's probably purely for my benefit FG !

Love the name FG - Conjurs up a lovley picture in my mind! Are you a real farmer or just pretend ??????

:laugh:
  • farmergiles
    I suppose so - It will be very strange especially as he is the least practical person in the whole world - Altho that's probably purely for my benefit FG !

Love the name FG - Conjurs up a lovley picture in my mind! Are you a real farmer or just pretend ??????

:laugh:

I'm a real farmer, of course....:lol:
  • Pigpen
    What with real mud and real livestock and real sheep dogs and stuff

I think you are making it up - You are a number cruncher according to your profile page!

Beautiful part of the world tho :thumbup1:
  • farmergiles
    What with real mud and real livestock and real sheep dogs and stuff

I think you are making it up - You are a number cruncher according to your profile page!

Beautiful part of the world tho :thumbup1:

but I could be a number crunching Farmer:lol::lol:
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I haven't been in this position - but I CAN imagine just how many new students there are year after year going through the Student Finance arrangements.

I find it highly unlikely the loan companies and others in charge of the student finance schemes would carry out physical visits to someone's address to confirm they live where they live.
    They may match his details on their financial systems to other systems involved with 3rd pareties which he has supplied online and allowed his data to be shared between selected 3rd parties (as we never really know WHO these 3rd parties are we can never be sure who know what about us).

However, if your son manages to convince the loan people that he resides with his bio father then I see no reason why they would investigate his claim above anybody else.

Even if the companies do have him down as living with you and your hubby, he could quite easily have moved out and into his bio father's house in the time he supplied the info to the time he applied for the student finance. If they have relative reason to doubt then sure, he may be subject to further approval of some sorts.

Something which he could do to convince them is if he had a bill that is addressed to his dad's house, mobile phone bill, other direct debit where the agreement is sent to his father's house - this will more than likely be suffice to convince anyone of his residence.
  • Pigpen
    Thanks Buff! - (Great name BTW)

Does that mean you are "buff" or is it something to do with nakedness (being in the buff?)

I am such an honest person that I worry about things like this all the time - But if it helps my boy out then so be it !
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I always thought it was rhyming slang.
  • Pigpen
    haha - I Had to think about that!

I Think I got it but I am blonde you know and I have had a vexing day!
Privacy Policy