Saint George's Day

Comments

• SeanyBoy
    SeanyBoy Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    CJC wrote: ยป
    Actually, it does my heart good to know that I am not of the same nationality as Chris Moyles even though he does exhibit so much of our national character.

Speak for yourself CJC i am nothing like him... nor do i know anybody who is remotely anything like him... as an englishman you shold be ashamed of yourself for even suggesting he represents the "english character". HA!
  • Pigpen
    Pigpen Registered Posts: 331 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Paul24 wrote: ยป
    Hmmm do you know me well enough to say that :lol:

Sorry Paul :crying:
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Sorry but I have just realised the unquestionable answer to the question posed by this thread.

Ladies and Gentlemen (the legend that is)

Stephen Fry..............
  • Paul24
    Pigpen wrote: ยป
    Sorry Paul :crying:

Ok :thumbup:
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Well I think we should all get out more and go do something really English.

If you have a choice between dancing round a maypole or being engulfed in a flaming wicker man, which would you choose?
  • SeanyBoy
    Sorry but I have just realised the unquestionable answer to the question posed by this thread.

Ladies and Gentlemen (the legend that is)

Stephen Fry..............

yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhh definately NOT with you on that one paul..
  • Cullen
    Yeah, Stephen Fry. He typifies all that is English

(ex con, pompous, verbiose, snobby....just like me!)
  • Pigpen
    Yep - Stephen Fry - English

But had no idea he was an ex-con - Do tell more - Cullen?
  • Paul24
    yeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhh definately NOT with you on that one paul..

Reasons please?
  • SeanyBoy
    Reasons please?

id rather not say to be honest but he most certainly does not represent a model for british society if you ask me.
  • Cullen
    Here are his Wikipedia notes:

Fry was born in Hampstead, London, the son of Marianne Eve (nรฉe Newman) and Alan John Fry, who was an English physicist and inventor.[1][2] His maternal grandparents, Martin and Rosa Neumann[2] were Jewish immigrants from Surany, Slovakia,[2][3] and his mother's aunt and cousins were killed in Auschwitz.[2] Fry grew up in the village of Booton near Reepham, Norfolk, having moved from Chesham, Buckinghamshire when very young. Fry would have been brought up in the United States had his father not turned down a job at Princeton University.[4]

Fry briefly attended Cawston Primary School, Cawston, Norfolk, described later in his 1997 book Moab Is My Washpot,[5] before going on to Stouts Hill Preparatory School and then to Uppingham School, Rutland, where he joined Fircroft house. He was expelled from Uppingham when he was fifteen, and subsequently from the Paston School. At seventeen, after leaving Norfolk College of Arts and Technology, Fry absconded with a credit card stolen from a family friend, was arrested in Swindon, and as a result spent three months in Pucklechurch Prison for fraud.[6] Following his release he resumed education at City College Norwich, promising administrators that he would study rigorously to sit the Cambridge entrance exams. He passed well enough to gain a scholarship to Queens' College, Cambridge. At Cambridge, Fry gained a degree in English literature, joined the Cambridge Footlights, and appeared on University Challenge.[7] It was at the Footlights that Fry met his future comedy collaborator Hugh Laurie
  • Paul24
    id rather not say to be honest but he most certainly does not represent a model for british society if you ask me.

Enough said. Brilliant.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Cullen wrote: ยป
    Here are his Wikipedia notes:

Fry was born in Hampstead, London, the son of Marianne Eve (nรฉe Newman) and Alan John Fry, who was an English physicist and inventor.[1][2] His maternal grandparents, Martin and Rosa Neumann[2] were Jewish immigrants from Surany, Slovakia,[2][3] and his mother's aunt and cousins were killed in Auschwitz.[2] Fry grew up in the village of Booton near Reepham, Norfolk, having moved from Chesham, Buckinghamshire when very young. Fry would have been brought up in the United States had his father not turned down a job at Princeton University.[4]

Fry briefly attended Cawston Primary School, Cawston, Norfolk, described later in his 1997 book Moab Is My Washpot,[5] before going on to Stouts Hill Preparatory School and then to Uppingham School, Rutland, where he joined Fircroft house. He was expelled from Uppingham when he was fifteen, and subsequently from the Paston School. At seventeen, after leaving Norfolk College of Arts and Technology, Fry absconded with a credit card stolen from a family friend, was arrested in Swindon, and as a result spent three months in Pucklechurch Prison for fraud.[6] Following his release he resumed education at City College Norwich, promising administrators that he would study rigorously to sit the Cambridge entrance exams. He passed well enough to gain a scholarship to Queens' College, Cambridge. At Cambridge, Fry gained a degree in English literature, joined the Cambridge Footlights, and appeared on University Challenge.[7] It was at the Footlights that Fry met his future comedy collaborator Hugh Laurie
    I thought it was a well known fact that half the content of wikkapedia was made up for a joke!
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i think he is funny - but a bit past it.

i do think someone like basil fawlty or windsor davies' character Battery Sergeant Major Williams from ain't half hot mum

what do we reckon

Tracy
  • Paul24
    I thought it was a well known fact that half the content of wikkapedia was made up for a joke!

It is well known
  • Cullen
    Oh fair point. The bit about him being a fraudster is true, as he comments frequently in the meeja about it.

I did like him until he made an extremely offensive remark about Essex people, it made my blood boil and me lads had to hold me down because I wanted to slap him and slap him hard. I ended up shouting at the telly, which I seem to do a lot these days......
  • Paul24
    lol.. what did he say?
  • Pigpen
    Cullen - Could the shouting at the TV issue be an age thing - I have no idea how old you are so this is merely a question as you may be a mere whipper snapper

I vowed I would never turn into my parents but as age catches up with me I am finding myself less and less tolerant - And even the simplest thing can send me over the edge !

I can frequently be found scowling at other drivers, muttering under my breath, shouting at the TV and don't get me started on unruly children and parents that don't control them.

I am 42 - Not really very old so lord knows what I will be like when I am a pensioner
  • Paul24

I am 42 - Not really very old

No?? :lol:
  • Pigpen

Stop it - I thought we were being nice now ?
  • SeanyBoy
    Stop it - I thought we were being nice now ?

:laugh:
  • Cullen
    An age thing? Hmm could be. So you don't think I'm mental then?

Alan Davies asked Stephen Fry if he had ever had the cocktail, "Sex on the Beach" and Fry's response was:"No, I have never been to Essex."

What a regionalist remark! Everyone knows that all of us here in Essex drink either real ale with no head on the pint or any number of coktails including but not limited to Sex on the Beach.

Ask Adam and Matt, when they visit they insist on a variety of cocktails being provided. Matt loves a Shirley Temple and Adam loves a Moscow Mule. I presume they were referring to cocktails???

( Don't say anything, but I am trying to broker a deal whereby I get 20% for selling their kidneys, they'll have to cut back a bit on the alcohol and salty snacks...heh heh heh...)
  • SeanyBoy
    Matt loves a Shirley Temple and Adam loves a Moscow Mule. I presume they were referring to cocktails???

Funny because Matt mentioned that when he visits you he likes a blowj*b
    :laugh:
  • Pigpen
    Briiliant plan - I won't say anything its ok !
  • Cullen
    Thanks Pigpen. I might have to organise a collection to buy Seany Boy a brain. I'm in for 10p, any one else?
  • SeanyBoy
    Thanks Pigpen. I might have to organise a collection to buy Seany Boy a brain. I'm in for 10p, any one else?

Lol im sorry no. 2 i couldnt resist... you being the upstanding pillar of society i expect you would not allow such "nonse"ence in your residence!! :lol:

Its all the late night programmes i tell ya!!
  • Cullen
    Yeah, tell me about it. They are the ones I shout at mostly.
  • Pigpen
    Well that's me done for the day

Thanks for the entertainment - Its been utterly time wasting but fun

Off now to gesticulate wildly at other road users, scowl at nasty children in the supermarket, ***** at my own children and shout at the TV - Another day in paradise

See ya
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Well that's me done for the day

Thanks for the entertainment - Its been utterly time wasting but fun

Off now to gesticulate wildly at other road users, scowl at nasty children in the supermarket, ***** at my own children and shout at the TV - Another day in paradise

See ya
    As a fellow 42year old do you not find that you now have a habit of talking to yourself when reading something you disagree about in a letter.

Got told off for doing that the other day.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Speaking of which, I'm minded of the man who got Phil Collins to say 'I'm talking nonce-sense right now'. Yes, I'd like to propose Chris Morris, perhaps the only true comic genius of the last twenty years and Founder of the anti-drugs organisations - Free the UK from Drugs (FUKD) and Britons Opposed to Meta Bisturbile Drugs (BOMBD).
Privacy Policy