Funding drowt for AAT Technichian :-(

ema192
ema192 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Sitting my FRA exam in June, But we have just been told the Welsh Assembly Gov are pulling out all funding for AAT courses in Yale College which is very frustrating as as a single mum i have relied on this to enable me to do the course in the first place!!

The course as it stands is £1070 for Technician level which i cannot afford.
Id be greatful if anyone knows of any other funding options??

Thanks
Emma

Comments

• PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Are you working, if not, then have a talk with the local job centre as there used to be schemes for funding training for single mums to get back to work.

Up in Scotland there is a version of the English Learning Direct which funds vocational courses, don't know if Wales has one, would be worht looking into.
  • lynn26
    lynn26 Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
    hi there please can you tell me where you went to get funding off the welsh assembley as i tried learning wales and could only get £100 but they would not give nothing for the last year of aat which is stupid because it costs the most out of the 3 years. any information be great...
    many thanks
    lynn
  • ema192
    ema192 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I had funding from Yale Training which was funded by Welsh Assembly Goverment, I am working part time but feel its alot to ask of my employers, have been given Total People's name so will contact them fingers crossed hopefully get somewhere.

I had funding from learning direct a few yrs ago i think the most i was eligable for was £100 which is nothing compared to the cost of the course.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    ema192 wrote: »
    Sitting my FRA exam in June, But we have just been told the Welsh Assembly Gov are pulling out all funding for AAT courses in Yale College which is very frustrating as as a single mum i have relied on this to enable me to do the course in the first place!!

The course as it stands is £1070 for Technician level which i cannot afford.
    Id be greatful if anyone knows of any other funding options??

Thanks
    Emma

that happened to me the other year when doing the second year , my college had the funding for the second year for anyone under 25 and done the first . which i seen my ar*e over because i was the only one who was over 25 ??gutted !!!
  • marknotgeorge
    marknotgeorge Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I know at my local college that you can get your fees remissed if you are on various benefits (including working tax credit, if your income is below about £15,000).
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I know at my local college that you can get your fees remissed if you are on various benefits (including working tax credit, if your income is below about £15,000).

That was me when i was doing foundation but they wouldnt for intermdaite
  • marknotgeorge
    marknotgeorge Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    A-Vic wrote: »
    That was me when i was doing foundation but they wouldnt for intermdaite

Mine will remiss right up to technician, which is lucky. If my job-seeking continues at it's current unsuccessful rate, all I would have to pay is 10% of the exam fee, which for technician is only £17, so I'd be paying £1.70. That doesn't seem right...
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    thank goodness for learner support fund as i managed to get exams and books paid for this year and last but not next
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    My college gave (and still gives I believe) tuition fee remission for jobseekers and other benefit claimants - you've still got to find membership and exam fees though which don't come cheap. There were also a bunch of other grants/bursaries from various sources: there was one that paid half tuition costs for people working for small businesses that helped me and I recall that a classmate had some money from a fund for helping women returning to work. There really should be someone at your college who knows about this stuff and can help you.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    You could keep costs down by using just books to study, not a good option, but an option..
Privacy Policy