Is the aat magazine as crap as i think

Barry
Barry Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Does anyone actually read this load of crap that the AAT send us every month. All I think it is is a biography of people who have passed the aat and are doing their CPD. There is never anything to help us actually trying to get he qualification????

Comments

• welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Learning zone?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Fee Fi Foo Fum
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Barry, while students might make up the majority of visitors to these discussion forums, they aren't the only members of the AAT organisation as a whole. You ought to look on the achievements of the members and MIP's as something for yourself to strive for throughout your own studies rather than feeling apparent resentment at those who have already passed and are now reaping the deserved rewards.

Students and members are also very protective of the AAT qualification and everything that goes with it so your thread title probably wasn't the most subtly worded. You can also count your reading of the magazine itself towards your own CPD if you're getting some benefit from it.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Agrees totally with above

Barry the fact that i see the sucesses of other in the magazine its very positive for me i am also a stuggling student and reading the success of others shows me that it is possible to pass this qualifaction.

Also have you actually read the whole of the magazine and read any of the forums as james and some of the other AAT teams often ask for stories from students and they are printed.

Finally take note on advise given in the magazine for revision because it is advice on what may come up in the exams.

Also the Fee Fi Foo Fum comment was as you make yourself sound like a troll.
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I actually enjoy reading the magazine. There are many people in various differing careers who have attributed the AAT qualification towards their own success.

I have every magazine since I started the qualification, and I use the learning zone notes when the exams are upon us.

Still, it's like everything, we will all have our own opinions towards things.
  • Toffeemadblue
    Toffeemadblue Registered Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Totally agree, I've read many publications of this sort over the years and the AAT mag stacks up pretty well. It is pretty well written and has a good mix of content. I've been keeping my copies as there is some quality revision articals for units I hope to do over the next two years
  • marknotgeorge
    marknotgeorge Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I don't think it's a waste of time, but then I was in it once.
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I think its quite good, it has the articles explaining how to work things out for variuos units fair enough not always the ones I'm doing but interesting nonetheless.

I also think its interesting to see where people have got to with the AAT qualification as well and how they did it. Theres lots of useful stuff in it I think.

Perhaps your time may be better spent investgating your attitude rather than the AAT magazine and anyone in it thats done alright for themselves.
  • Timmne
    Timmne Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor โญ
    I think its quite good, it has the articles explaining how to work things out for variuos units fair enough not always the ones I'm doing but interesting nonetheless.

I also think its interesting to see where people have got to with the AAT qualification as well and how they did it. Theres lots of useful stuff in it I think.

Perhaps your time may be better spent investgating your attitude rather than the AAT magazine and anyone in it thats done alright for themselves.

I think the magazine is a pile of rubbish and a bit of an embarrasment to our institute at times.

Having said that, I stopped opening the pages of it about 18 months ago so I could be outdated now.

I do take the wrapper off it each month but that's only so I can recycle it.

The AAT should let us pay reduced fees and sacrifice the 'magazine'. I see where the OP is coming from; it is a bit of a love-fest for people at times. Compare it to the CIMA magazine and you'll see where I'm coming from, although that still isn't great.
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    and do you, as Haters of the magazine, do anything about it other than blast off at other members at the first opportunity, slating the magazine - or do you contact or put across your point to the relevant people you concerns over the content of the mag. I'm guessing the former...

I whole heartedly agree with Rob, I have to otherwise he'll come and run me down in his tractor guzzling 4x4.

When I received the magazine, I'd have a flick through - there was always some decent info in there and contact details.

** Ponders where patience has disappeared to **
  • Timmne
    Buff wrote: ยป
    and do you, as Haters of the magazine, do anything about it other than blast off at other members at the first opportunity, slating the magazine - or do you contact or put across your point to the relevant people you concerns over the content of the mag. I'm guessing the former...

I whole heartedly agree with Rob, I have to otherwise he'll come and run me down in his tractor guzzling 4x4.

When I received the magazine, I'd have a flick through - there was always some decent info in there and contact details.

** Ponders where patience has disappeared to **

I called them at the same point I gave up reading it - I suggested they may want to give members the choice of a discounted yearly fee as I resented being forced to pay for it (and waste the paper as it just went in the recycling). I obviously didn't get anywhere but enough of the high horse if you wouldn't mind!
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Is the magazine that much of a problem ?

You get it once a month and even just for the tips its worth it.

I personally like to read the stories about fellow studiers that are doing well and can maybe even pick up a thing or two

I dont think the AAT magazine is bad enough to mention here anyways...

Chuck it.....or....read it..... Its up to you.....

Id advise give it a flick through.
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Timmne wrote: ยป
    I think the magazine is a pile of rubbish and a bit of an embarrasment to our institute at times.

Having said that, I stopped opening the pages of it about 18 months ago so I could be outdated now.

I do take the wrapper off it each month but that's only so I can recycle it.

The AAT should let us pay reduced fees and sacrifice the 'magazine'. I see where the OP is coming from; it is a bit of a love-fest for people at times. Compare it to the CIMA magazine and you'll see where I'm coming from, although that still isn't great.

Are you hoping that no one who reads this thread, receives the CIMA magazines?

I get both, and they have been equally as useful to me at each different stage of my studies. So I dont really know why you are wasting your time moaning on here about it.
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I must admit I feel the mag is a bit of a waste of time. I can see why people would be interested in the stories and how it would be useful to students. However as a MIP for the last ten years, I dont feel it offers me much value, then again it doesnt offend me either.

Its a ten minute read at breakfast then into the recycling.
  • Timmne
    Paul24 wrote: ยป
    Are you hoping that no one who reads this thread, receives the CIMA magazines?

I get both, and they have been equally as useful to me at each different stage of my studies. So I dont really know why you are wasting your time moaning on here about it.

It's subjective as to whether someone enjoys a magazine any more than another. I personally think CIMA has more about it than the AAT one.

The reason I'm moaning about it is because the thread title is "is the aat magazine as crap as I think". Yes, I think it is. Generally, threads tend to get answered by people, which is what I did.
  • Paul24
    Do you use your technical knowledge to answer many other queries on the forums?
  • sarahwilson
    I agree, its personal I suppose whether you get anything out of the magazine or not. I do get something out of it but I appreciate not everyone will, it seems a reasonable suggestion to pay less subs and opt out if you dont want the magaine.

I think the title of the thread is a bit harsh and rather childish, some valid points have been made by all and I think a good point about reducing the membership fees and allowing people to not have the magazine if they don't want it won't be picked due to the threads peurile title.
  • Timmne
    Paul24 wrote: ยป
    Do you use your technical knowledge to answer many other queries on the forums?

Why? Is that relevant?
  • Paul24
    I agree, its personal I suppose whether you get anything out of the magazine or not. I do get something out of it but I appreciate not everyone will, it seems a reasonable suggestion to pay less subs and opt out if you dont want the magaine.

I think the title of the thread is a bit harsh and rather childish, some valid points have been made by all and I think a good point about reducing the membership fees and allowing people to not have the magazine if they don't want it won't be picked due to the threads peurile title.

Good point to end the thread I feel.
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I personally don't find the magazine very useful and I think it is a good point about the paper version being a waste of money.

If it is accessible on line do you think it may be an idea to make a choice available as to preference of printed or online version? It may save the AAT some money?
  • sarahwilson
    :thumbup:Thats a good idea Cullen, they would save the printing and postage, etc and then members who want it can access it on the site.
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I personally like to read the stories about fellow studiers that are doing well and can maybe even pick up a thing or two

I also use to like it for part where they showed a different persons profile every month and it said why they were doing aat what job they were doing and what their future plans were, i just found that part interesting.

I also like looking at the job section only to see if what im being paid is fair or not!

i always flick through every single page i have to! cant resist its okay for a quick read.

in the last one i was reading about mip starting out which as im in that boat at the mo' it made me feel motivated.

enough said about our monthly companion, now im just kidding!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I haven't read it in ages, I just don't have time.

I don't think it's crap. I just think it's as good/boring as I'd expect any professional magazine to be :001_tt2:
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Try wading through Accountancy magazine - that's a workout!:laugh:
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I must admit sometimes I find it a bit hardgoing to read but our tutor has told us we should keep up with it as sometimes it will have information in about changes to law/accounting etc which we should be aware of and may even come up in exams.

I too enjoy reading the success stories. It can help me to feel it is all worthwhile.
  • jkc
    jkc Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I like the success stories and i loved the story on the financial detective/fraud this month it was excellent.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I enjoy reading it, and especially find the learning zone helpfully, I rip them out and keep for revision. I am happy to have it in paper form, as don't like reading things online, always tend to print things out as I find it easier to absorb.

The stories are interesting, especially as JKC mentioned the one this month about forensic accounting, shows you the many different threads to accounting and what you can achieve if you put the work in.

My husband takes the mick out of me reading it but then he actually pays money for Farmers Weekly, so don't think he has much of a leg to stand on.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    well i think its ok, but not exactly great. or is that because ive never been in it ????
Privacy Policy