Just my luck....

Options
LondonMatt
LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
As you may be aware, I recently got a promotion to a different role. The move was delayed until tomorrow, so I spent all of this afternoon clearing my desk and moving over. Earlier in the day, the FD arranges a meeting with everyone for a quarter to five to discuss 'something important'. And he tells us.......

....the accounts department will move to Cambridge! CAMBRIDGE!! :crying:

The move will happen in 6 months, my job will move to Cambridge and I can move with it if I want to. So I have to decide whether to move to Cambridge in 6 months, or accept redundency and look for a new role in a recession.....Not an easy decision
Β«1

Comments

• katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    That really sucks! They kind of have you over a barrel. Would they help you with relocation?
  • LondonMatt
    Options
    Don't know about relocation help, the HR boss is off for the next week(!) so we won't get detials of our options until he comes back :thumbdown:
  • SeanyBoy
    SeanyBoy Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Don't know about relocation help, the HR boss is off for the next week(!) so we won't get detials of our options until he comes back :thumbdown:

u might be surprised by whats available out there matt.

i think perhaps update ur cv, load it up onto loads of sites, then see whats about.. if nothing arises in the next 2-3 months then maybe think about the move.. is it not an option?
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Still, there are worse places than Cambridge. A friend of mine once got relocated from London to Stevenage.
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Argh not Cambridge, that's too close to me!

I'm sorry to hear you've been put on the spot like that though; not an easy decision to make.

Hope all works out ok.:thumbup1:
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Oh Matt that s**t news :thumbdown: but try to be positive. As Seanyboy says, get your CV updated and get it circulated and hopefully something will come along before the move.

I'll keep everything crossed for you............. may cause problems with the belly dancing tho :001_unsure:
  • LondonMatt
    Options
    Thanks for your words guys....

One question though, am I entitled to redundency? They are moving the job somewhere else, so technically they are not firing me. The role is still mine, just in another city....
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I *think* it might be constructive dismissal if not redundancy. I think.
    Have an ask on the legals forum on UKBF

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • Gianni
    Gianni Registered Posts: 99 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    It is technically redundancy if the distance relative to where you live is more than a short distance. However, you need to read your contract of employment first to ensure there's no clauses which state you would be expected to relocate within a certain distance.

I imagine the HR guy you mentioned will brief you, doesn't help that they announce it when he's away though - all seems convenient!
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I don't know that it's unfair, as they are giving you plenty of notice - the hits I've seen all say "sudden relocation". Still, it's worth a look. But consider that if your whole department is moving, that's potentially a lot of constructive dismissal cases so I think your employers will already be dealing with a HR helpline and/or seeking legal advice so they do everything properly and so that no claim can be made.
  • Diannew
    Diannew Registered Posts: 2,814 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I am sorry to hear what has happend Matt.......keep positive...as the others say update your CV and start looking for a post near you and give yourself more options......I am sure you will find something even in this recession there does appear to be lots of Accountancy/Finance jobs available when I look on the websites...................

Take Care

Di
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Bugger it Matt.

You're on a bit of a roller coaster there aren't you? I think Seany boy's advice is good. See what's around and then make the decision to stay or go.

All will be well....
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    that sucks .but at least they are givcing you the option of taking the job in cambridge. but im sure if they are moving office they have to give you accomidation for 2 months if not they have to pay mileage ?

but at least you have a job ?
  • Cullen
    Options
    Luckily for you Matt, you have a good father who holds your interests close to his heart, and me!

I have been doing some intense research in order to find out which is the best way forward for you. Apparantly a new phenomenon in the workplace called " Redundancy Rage" is occurring throughout Europe. This includes rooftop protests, boss- napping (I like this one!!) overnight lockins and tantrums.

Well I have ordered the coloured pencils and I am going to make a banner!

I've repaired most of the dodgy rungs on the ladder and I am prepared to sit it out with you on the roof all night!! Who else is in? Or should I say "up" for it?.....(do you see what I did there?)

Do you know it takes me back to the early 90s in Strangeways....Happy days.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Cullen wrote: Β»
    Luckily for you Matt, you have a good father who holds your interests close to his heart, and me!

I have been doing some intense research in order to find out which is the best way forward for you. Apparantly a new phenomenon in the workplace called " Redundancy Rage" is occurring throughout Europe. This includes rooftop protests, boss- napping (I like this one!!) overnight lockins and tantrums.

Well I have ordered the coloured pencils and I am going to make a banner!

I've repaired most of the dodgy rungs on the ladder and I am prepared to sit it out with you on the roof all night!! Who else is in? Or should I say "up" for it?.....(do you see what I did there?)

Do you know it takes me back to the 80s in Strangeways....Happy days.

Cullen i like you, your a very strange and weird likable person :lol:
  • Cullen
    Options
    Thanks A Vic. Joining us on the rooftop?
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options

See you up there Cullen.............I'll bring the hot chocolate, we'll need it :eek:
  • Diannew
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    Cullen i like you, your a very strange and weird likable person :lol:

Mmmmmmmmmm...excep:crying:t for the cheesy comment about my name
  • Diannew
    Options
    jilt wrote: Β»
    See you up there Cullen.............I'll bring the hot chocolate, we'll need it :eek:

And I will supply the hot water bottle's and marshmallows....
  • LondonMatt
    Options
    Diannew wrote: Β»
    And I will supply the hot water bottle's and marshmallows....

I'll bring the socks......lovely silky, ex-soviet sock :001_wub:
  • Cullen
    Options
    No no no no Dianne, the song was awful, your name is wonderful.

You are moonlight and er...sonatas.

You are the huntress and umm slingshots.

You put the silk in Matts surplus soviet socks.

(Quick Jilt, give her a mug of hot chocolate....)
  • Diannew
    Options
    No no no no Dianne, the song was awful, your name is wonderful.

You are moonlight and er...sonatas.

You are the huntress and umm slingshots.

You put the silk in Matts surplus soviet socks.

(Quick Jilt, give her a mug of hot chocolate....)

Forgiven.............................this time:crying:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    You are the huntress
    Just watch out if you see her in the bath, she'll have you turned into a deer and torn apart by your own hounds.
  • Diannew
    Options
    CJC wrote: Β»
    Just watch out if you see her in the bath, she'll have you turned into a deer and torn apart by your own hounds.

Sounds about right...............and just deserved...peeking at a lady in her bath....how very rude:lol::lol:
  • Cullen
    Options
    I suspect a classical education.....
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Sounds about right...............and just deserved...peeking at a lady in her bath....how very rude:lol::lol:

I do find it a bit hard not to peek whilst scrubbing your back, though, Di:lol::lol:
  • Diannew
    Options
    I suspect a classical education.....

????
  • Diannew
    Options
    I do find it a bit hard not to peek whilst scrubbing your back, though, Di:lol::lol:

Shhhh...don't tell everyone:ohmy:
  • farmergiles
    farmergiles Registered Posts: 1,693 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Shhhh...don't tell everyone:ohmy:

Only if you let me take the blind fold off next time:lol::lol:
  • Diannew
    Options
    Only if you let me take the blind fold off next time:lol::lol:

This could get alittle out of hand...................we shall end it here:lol::lol:
Privacy Policy