Paul's "First Dance" Thread Spin Off

Options
Buff
Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
As the title suggests, as I didn't want to hijack his thread - I am not married yet but have been engaged for several years. Now, it's not the fact I don't wanna get hitched, it's the fact that I keep can't get the cost below £12,000.

Now - call me scrooge, but £12,000 just to get married? come on! A new car would surely be the better and more sensible option.

My question is, what would the average wedding cost be these days?

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Buff wrote: »
    As the title suggests, as I didn't want to hijack his thread - I am not married yet but have been engaged for several years. Now, it's not the fact I don't wanna get hitched, it's the fact that I keep can't get the cost below £12,000.

Now - call me scrooge, but £12,000 just to get married? come on! A new car would surely be the better and more sensible option.

My niece is getting married abroad this year that really keeps the costs down can do it for 4k plus your already at the honeymoon thats a big plus
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    We had a 'pay as you go' wedding! Instead of presents we asked people to pay for their meals to join us on the day. We picked a hotel that did a reasonable price and bought the first round and wine for the table etc.

It cost us less than £1k and so many people thought it was a good idea as we already had toasters etc so they didn't have to think of what to buy us.
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: »
    My niece is getting married abroad this year that really keeps the costs down can do it for 4k plus your already at the honeymoon thats a big plus

What country is she getting married in?
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Buff wrote: »

We have done everything we wanted to do and still kept the cost to around 6-7k
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Esme wrote: »
    What country is she getting married in?

Cyprus
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    well did my wedding onthe cheap and think it still cost over 5k !!!

but im sure that if oyu dont want all the tassles,bells and all the other rubbish then it could be done for less than 2k ?
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    U could go on 'Dont tell the bride'.. you don't have to pay a penny and u get to plan it all!
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    My wedding was 14 years ago now but I did it for under £2,000 and that included evening do. We hired my dress, bridesmaid dresses, groom & best man kilts and found a hotel that through in the function room for evening do for the price of the meals.

My 2 sisters had got married 6 days apart 2 years previously and my parents paid for them. My mum was amazed that my wedding was just as good and cost about a quarter the price of one of their weddings. That was with my parent's supposedly getting a deal on the reception, cars etc. as they were doing 2 weddings so close together.
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Kilts, eh?

Swords as well? Any blood shed?
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Cullen wrote: »
    Kilts, eh?

Swords as well? Any blood shed?
    NO swords, only the skean dhu. No blood shed although my hubby did manage to fall down the stairs at the hotel and pull muscles in his shoulder before he even had a drink.
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I got wed in Antigua and my sister in law had hers in Cancun Mexico. Both cheap and as mentioned before your on honeymoon and have a nice tan in the pictures.

You can always have a party when you get home for those that can't make it.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    My cousin got married and bought her wedding dress from Ebay for just £8. It was a fabulous dress and everyone was asking who had designed it. She was really chuffed.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    groundy wrote: »
    I got wed in Antigua and my sister in law had hers in Cancun Mexico. Both cheap and as mentioned before your on honeymoon and have a nice tan in the pictures.

You can always have a party when you get home for those that can't make it.

Thats their wedding present from all of us lot were putting on a wedding reception on for her when she gets back with hubby - sad am not going to see the actual wedding but it will be nice to plan that at least for them
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Any chance the two of you could just disappear to Gretna Green? I do feel people put too much emphasis on the wedding day rather than the actual marriage.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I got married for less than £500 which included the service, outfits and reception for close family and friends only. Money was tight at the time so why should we go into considerable debt to pay for an expensive church service just because that's what people traditionally expect? The divorce ten years later however cost me many times more than that...

... and do any of you know anyone that's still paying for the wedding service long after the marriage has ended? I do! Not that I'm trying to put a dampener on the thread, Jamie!
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    speegs wrote: »
    My cousin got married and bought her wedding dress from Ebay for just £8. It was a fabulous dress and everyone was asking who had designed it. She was really chuffed.

Nice Idea!
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hey Speegs, welcome back, how's the recovery going?

(Nice to see you posting again!!)
  • r4chy
    r4chy Registered Posts: 30 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    £12000??!! You can spend as little or as much as you like on a wedding....my wedding cost less than a thousand pounds and had an absolutely fantastic time, (it was just a shame the marriage didn't turn out as well lol) and I work at a hotel now in the yorkshire dales where we have weddings, they cost more than mine did, but still nowhere near 12k! Unless you wanted to exchange the wedding car for a helicopter or something....... :p
  • troy
    troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Am I allowed to change the husband for a helicopter instead????

I am afraid that after two divorces I should not be allowed to post on this thread :001_tt2:
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    troy wrote: »
    Am I allowed to change the husband for a helicopter instead????

I am afraid that after two divorces I should not be allowed to post on this thread :001_tt2:

and yet you still have ?
Privacy Policy