Exam Nerves - tips

Options
reddwarf
reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Anyone have this problem? I get a haze and can't even add two numbers together and mis-read things, it passes after a little while but it is a handicap.

Anyone any tips?

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Anyone have this problem? I get a haze and can't even add two numbers together and mis-read things, it passes after a little while but it is a handicap.

Anyone any tips?

Hi Red

If you look on the AAT there is some really good advise on exams and how to cope

Good Luck

Vic
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    I tend to spend the waiting bit thinking I am going to throw up or pass out then once get gong am not bad. Worse if stuck in the middle of a group of people or at the very back of a room.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    There was a guy sitting the IAC exam at the same time as me in December and he had FOUR Calculators and about Ten Pens and Two Rulers. :laugh:

I asked him why he had so many calculators and he said it was incase the batteries ran out!............................he mustave been using the ones out of the Pound Shop and not Duracell!:laugh:

Julie:001_smile:
  • whos that girl
    whos that girl Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    im exactly the same. i had a skills test and thought i was going to throw up half way through, i went hot and cold, i took a deep breath, and just worked on, i wanted to cry, but the humiliation stopped me and i soldiered on. ive only felt like this on this level. i was out shopping the other day and someone asked me 20% of something. my mind went blank, and honestly i was shocked. percentage is a childs sum.put on the spot and i panick. i gota control it too. scared this lack of confidence could cost my career.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options

Anyone any tips?
    I always bring in a bottle of Rescue Remedy with me, don't know how it works but it does, always calms me down enough to be able to concentrate and get perspective.
  • reddwarf
    Options
    I was going to ask about rescue remedy - I've used it when riding x country (not badminton!) just fun level - it did seem to help but isn't it alcohol based? I wouldn't want to make the exam room smell of booze fumes!!!

Also I get the pen ruler calculator thing! Trouble is the desk as so wee at our college it all ends up on the floor!!
  • magic_ghost
    magic_ghost Registered Posts: 6 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Well I don't know about other people, but what helps me is to read the simulation / exam all the way through and take some time to digest the questions. The worst thing you can do is start writing straight away.

Also, try not to speed up because other people are doing it faster. It'll just make things worse.
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I was going to ask about rescue remedy - I've used it when riding x country (not badminton!) just fun level - it did seem to help but isn't it alcohol based? I wouldn't want to make the exam room smell of booze fumes!!!

Also I get the pen ruler calculator thing! Trouble is the desk as so wee at our college it all ends up on the floor!!
    Not sure if it is alcohol based, you only need a few drops on the tongue. It also comes in pastilles as well, so many not smell so bad. Do agree it does have a odour, but it works!!
  • reddwarf
    Options
    Bought my rescue remedy yesterday! I saw the pastilles may get those too as backup!! Points from Magic Ghost very useful. I know I rush to get writing thinking I need to beat the clock.

thanks all!
Privacy Policy