Salary (Or lack of it!!)

alicemaylara
alicemaylara Registered Posts: 259 Dedicated contributor 🦉
In my current job I get an amazing....£6.60 an hour....When i complete technician (hopefully in June) what should I expect my salary to be? Should it go up?

Comments

• Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Well, when I was doing technician two years ago, I was making £6.52 an hour just outside of London, so I know how you feel.

I'd look on it as a chance to renegotiate everything about your current job; especially if you're looking to progress to ACCA/CIMA/whatever. My then-employer considered 'keep you on doing the same work for the same salary, with no chance of further training or promotion' to be their best offer, so I left! But then two years ago we were only starting to feel this economic climate.

Try looking at these salary guides from Hays, the recruitment consultants
    http://www.hays.com/salary-guides.aspx

But I don't know how reliable they are.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor 🐘
    From what ive read the salary doesnt increase that much (17000-20000). Until your on your way to ACCA/CIMA . Then its gotta be (20000+).

Just see any work your doing at the moment as experience towards your further qualifications.

Im doing the foundation at the moment and am working on a production line looking for work. I think the further qualifications require something like 3 years experience to gain the qualification.

Take a look at reed.co.uk, totaljobs.com, monster.co.uk

Hope this helps....Good luck

:thumbup1:
  • steveJ
    Oh yeah....sorry.....Good luck in June

:thumbup:
  • blades
    blades Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
    In past experience I would say that completing different levels of aat does not necessary mean an increase in pay. You have to look at it from all sides. Is the work that you are doing making your employer money or are you just breaking even with the time you are spending on the work. Are you being given paid time from work to complete the courses and are they paying for the course and all costs that come with these courses.

My last employer paid for first sitting of any exams and a couple of weeks study time but all the courses that were attended were at weekend in employees own time. I did study aat at local college at night and paid for everything myself except for one year when I let them pay for my course fees only when I had passed my exams. This was my own choice so that if anything at home got in the way of going to college at night they could not complain.
  • alicemaylara
    No salary increase...why did i bother!
    Thanks for your comments and good luck to any of you as fortunate as me doing the exam in June
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    No salary increase...why did i bother!
    Thanks for your comments and good luck to any of you as fortunate as me doing the exam in June

Theres not always the instant rewards you deserve, but never forget you're working to something much better anyway.
  • Chris023
    Chris023 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hey

Hopefully I will complete Technician this August and I doubt very much I will get a pay rise!

I go to evening classes & I have paid for the course myself. Last year I just got an inflation rise and this year everyone's pay has been frozen given the current economic climate.

However I am not on brilliant pay, given my location but I think it is fair
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    I completed Techie level last year and guess what I got? I got one of those fantastic "side ways" promotions. Fabulous. When I told my employer I was going to start do some self-employed work on top of my employed work they said I was not allowed to, so I gave them a choice. Let me do my own self-employed (which was not going to impact on my employed work at all), or pay me for the self-employed work they were not going to let me do? Needless to say I am now doing both my employed and self employed work. I WIN!
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    speegs wrote: »
    I completed Techie level last year and guess what I got? I got one of those fantastic "side ways" promotions. Fabulous. When I told my employer I was going to start do some self-employed work on top of my employed work they said I was not allowed to, so I gave them a choice. Let me do my own self-employed (which was not going to impact on my employed work at all), or pay me for the self-employed work they were not going to let me do? Needless to say I am now doing both my employed and self employed work. I WIN!

Hi Speegs, how are you doing? I hope you're well rested.
  • steveJ
    At the moment it sounds like your in a good position compared to some of us. Im studying from home (Only foundation) at the moment, but im finding it so hard to get into accountancy. Everyone seems to be looking for a minimum of 1-2 years experience (Im working on a production line...lol).
    Even trying to find some voluntary work is as hard.

I would say just keep studying why not try and aim for a bigger firm (Top4).
  • fatandforty
    You're working on a production line?? I can do better than that - I'm cleaning!!
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    steveJ wrote: »

BIG4 are not interested in AAT people....they want only graduates and chartered accountants :001_unsure:
  • alicemaylara
    Pah...AAT ruless
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉

Aiming for the big four? Really? I wouldn't. Have you ever met anyone from a big 4 firm? I have, and they all look identical. The same souless eyes, the same lank hair. The same crushed and depersonalised note to their voice. Honestly, I wouldn't bother. I really can't see the appeal.
  • speegs
    speegs Registered Posts: 854 Epic contributor 🐘
    I am doing well thanks. I can finally return to work in 2 weeks time. I can't wait. The Doc has even taken me off ALL of my medication which have been taking for years. No more NHS Prescription charges. My bank balance has never looked so good.

Plus I think I've found a flat to buy. Can't wait to look at it on Saturday. I am so excited. I'll have to have a flat warming party once I finally fly the nest.

Speegs :thumbup1:
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Bookworm55 wrote: »
    Aiming for the big four? Really? I wouldn't. Have you ever met anyone from a big 4 firm? I have, and they all look identical. The same souless eyes, the same lank hair. The same crushed and depersonalised note to their voice. Honestly, I wouldn't bother. I really can't see the appeal.

am sorry but which big 4 have you met ive met a few and they do work hard and party hard (as i do party with them) i would love the chance to work with them the projects involved are amazing and interesting?????
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Londina wrote: »
    BIG4 are not interested in AAT people....they want only graduates and chartered accountants :001_unsure:

my sis-in-law started on aat and now works for them, yes she did go on to a degree and a hell of a lot inbetween but managed to get an post grad place then was tipped off for the job in london at KPMG.
  • fatandforty
    speegs wrote: »
    I am doing well thanks. I can finally return to work in 2 weeks time. I can't wait. The Doc has even taken me off ALL of my medication which have been taking for years. No more NHS Prescription charges. My bank balance has never looked so good.

Plus I think I've found a flat to buy. Can't wait to look at it on Saturday. I am so excited. I'll have to have a flat warming party once I finally fly the nest.

Speegs :thumbup1:

That's all very good news. I'm pleased for you.

Are we all invited??
Privacy Policy