MY most exciting thing this year!!!!

Options
katsutlieff
katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I won a weeks accommodation in Egypt!!! Have always wanted to see the Pyramids and now I can.

Only dilemma, do we take the kids, we never had a honeymoon and have never had a night away together from the kids. Eldest would be so :crying: if we went without him, is fascinated with Egypt since studying it last term.

Couldn't possibly leave them behind :001_unsure:

Comments

• CathG
    CathG Registered Posts: 145 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Congratulations - If you can, take them - travel is a wonderful education in itself. If you go to Cairo you must go to the museum, your eldest will love it. You'll need to go to the city on a proper organised tour for safety reasons. (Hope I'm not putting you off now..)

I've only been once and would not go back again, but am glad I went in the first place, this is why I say take the children, because chances are you won't go again.
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Well done! I am so jealous. Egypt is a fantastic country to have the opportunity to see. I took my husband there for 4 nights for his 40th and my Dad had the kids. Personally I thought we did the right thing (although it was simply because I couldn't afford to pay for 5 flights!!). We fitted so much into our 4 days the kids wouldn't have been able to keep up. I also feel they would have found a lot of it boring. We stayed in Cairo just outside the pyramids but also flew to Luxor to see Valley of the Kings etc. We also had a boat ride on the river Nile across to banana island! By the end we were falling asleep standing up. I agree you need a guide as it does make you feel a lot safer. There are lots of beggars. It doesn't cost much to have an individual guide jsut for yourselves. Also be careful what you wear - women should be pretty much covered up. We would definitely love to visit again and 2 years later are still in touch by e-mail with our tour guide.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I won a weeks accommodation in Egypt!!! Have always wanted to see the Pyramids and now I can.
    :

Congratulations! I have to say that Egypt is one of my favourite places. I have been 7 times altogether and to the pyramids 4 times and I must confess I would go again. I agree with CathG you must go to the Cairo museum, it is brilliant, I could spend a whole day there!

As for taking the kids, I agree travel is an eduaction but it depends on thier ages and what time of year you're going. If you're looking at going soon the tempurature can be in the mid 40's. Also do you have choice of accomodation, is it Cairo or some other part of Egypt? If you have any queries I'd be more than happy to help if I can, just PM me.

Whatever you choose to do you will have a great time :thumbup:
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Katie

If you're short of a person - I'll go with you - I've always wanted to go but totally understand the dilemma you're in with the children. We've said we'll go when the children are older and off our hands!!
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i free if you need another one to go !!!

lol
  • katsutlieff
    Options
    The accommodation is in Luxor, and is a two bedroom apartment, with shop, doctor, police and other amenities on site. Also available is an English speaking guide who will pick us up from the airport and show us around. All sounds pretty amazing really.

Have looked into the overnight sleeper to Cairo as couldn't possibly go to Egypt and not see the Pyramids. Think we will definitely take the eldest, he will be nine, he would get so much out of a trip like this. He absorbs facts, loves history, and scares me sometimes with how much he knows, much more than me. Not sure on the middle one, only five and a half, but may have problems taking one and not the other.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    After much contemplation about this i think you should arrange a holiday for your husband and kids and just take me instead hence everyone is happy :lol:
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Have looked into the overnight sleeper to Cairo as couldn't possibly go to Egypt and not see the Pyramids.

Check out the prices with Egypt Air it's only a short flight from Luxor but be warned you aren't allocated seats. It's a very long drive so I wouldn't advise going by coach unless money is an issue as it's obviously the cheapest way. To be honest I haven't travelled by train in Egypt but going on my experiences on trains in other countries you might find it a little intimidating if you're not used to that type of thing.

On second thoughts you're probably a seasoned traveller and want me to shut up! :lol::lol::lol:
  • mark130273
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    After much contemplation about this i think you should arrange a holiday for your husband and kids and just take me instead hence everyone is happy :lol:

no way a-vic.......i be much better company !!! lol
  • katsutlieff
    Options
    jilt wrote: ยป
    On second thoughts you're probably a seasoned traveller and want me to shut up! :lol::lol::lol:

All advice is gratefully received. We use to travel a lot before the kids, but Ireland is about as adventurous as we have been lately. The overnight sleeper trains look OK individual compartments, but will check out Air Egypt as well thank you.

A-Vic, Mark unfortunately, the second bedroom as already been taken by brother and sister in law. It was her belly dancing show I won the trip at, so felt I ought to offer it to them, also will double up as babysitters if we take the kids :001_smile:
  • mark130273
    Options
    All advice is gratefully received. We use to travel a lot before the kids, but Ireland is about as adventurous as we have been lately. The overnight sleeper trains look OK individual compartments, but will check out Air Egypt as well thank you.

A-Vic, Mark unfortunately, the second bedroom as already been taken by brother and sister in law. It was her belly dancing show I won the trip at, so felt I ought to offer it to them, also will double up as babysitters if we take the kids :001_smile:

now belly dancing.........now that woulds like fun.....:tongue_smilie:
Privacy Policy