Music, you, and studying?

donnaalwill
donnaalwill Registered Posts: 116 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Just curious about other peoples studying/revising habits? Me I have to have music :thumbup: It focuses me slightly, I find it helps me to concentrate on what I am doing and keeps me relaxed. However I know many people who sit in a quiet room and think it distracts? What side of the fence do you fall on? Or do you have something else that you need to help you?

Comments

• steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I dont know how you can listen to music...
    I have tried that, music in the background, but i end up singing along then end up break dancing in the front room...lol.

For me it has to be relatively quiet, but not deadly silent. That just puts me off...

Please dont say you listen to Metallica or Black Sabath while studying...lol
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Music always, find it focuses me so much more than without.

Genius selector on Itunes is well ........ genius :thumbup:

Donnaalwill, welcome to chat, you didn't hold out for long
  • jkc
    jkc Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    its got to be quiet, if completely unmotivated and I need to force revision sit at table in front of book. place head in book dont read just stare, eventually become so bored I begin reading.
  • donnaalwill
    Hmmm my confession would be yes, it does include Metallica, in fact my playlist is about 95% rock/metal lol Although it does make it easier not to get up and start breakdancing to it!
    Nope didn't hold out for long!! And yup, definitely helps me to focus more. Without it, its just too quiet and I find my mind starts to wander (more than usual anyway).
    I like the staring idea, I think I would eventually just fall asleep though, or daydream about winning the lottery or something!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It's funny but I revised all my a levels to Led Zeppelin and Iron maiden but when I did all my accountancy exams I had to have complete peace and quiet!
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I can't listen to music at all when revising, it's too distracting.
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Yeah, I listen to music, if only to drown out the noise in the library - people walking, toddlers running around, teenagers talking etc, very distracting stuff
  • heartsandstars
    heartsandstars Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor โญ
    I always have music on in the background. Used to be able to revise with anything, but now i has to be slightly more chilled. Lots of Nick Drake, Jeff Buckely and Rufus Wainwrght at the moment.
  • donnaalwill
    I don't think it matters to me what the music is, hence listening to metal/rock and chilled out stuff. Whatevers playing! Just can't deal with the silence!
    Well its 4/4 listen to music/don't listen to music. Pretty evenly split!
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    i'm listening to escala
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i have the tv on while studying
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I have to have peace and quiet and hate the tv being on! But it's pretty impossible in a house with 3 kids and a husband!! Maybe get my own back on the kids when they are older and taking exams.
  • lorraine
    lorraine Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I used to revise in my lunch break at my desk it mean't interruptions and noise but I thought if I can do an exam in those conditions then that was good! At the time I was short of time so my lunch break was a good time to do it.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I used to revise in my lunch break at my desk it mean't interruptions and noise but I thought if I can do an exam in those conditions then that was good! At the time I was short of time so my lunch break was a good time to do it.

When I was studying AAT at college I often heard the complaint from fellow students that they never had time. Did they think they were the only ones?! When I asked how long they had for lunch and why they didn't use that time for study, they used to whinge and whine like buggery but you could see they guiltily got the not very concealed point. Maybe like you Lorraine, probably four out of five weekdays I used my own lunch break to study. No pain, no gain and you can easily tell the ones who have adequately prepared for exams from those who haven't.
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I revised group accounts for a recent Financial Accounting exam while listening to the score from Fiddler on the Roof. Which was fine until I tried doing a group accounts question in the exam and kept having to stop myself humming the 'If I were a rich man' tune.

Usually I like having the radio on because it drowns out having all the annoying little noises I hear in my tiny terraced house. Neighbours coming and going, yappy little dogs, the creaks and such of the plumbing. Quite glad I'm moving out of it next month!

I used to revise in my lunch breaks at work, but it really bothered my line manager who suspected I might be after his job if I got as well qualified as him. Also, he didn't really like the idea of people learning things from books.
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    so what songs relate to accounting ?
  • A-Vic
    so what songs relate to accounting ?

Simply red - money to tight to mention

Floyds - Money

Dire Strates - forget the name

Money makes the world go around - and loads more :lol:
  • mark130273
    a-vic .....guess youve had that question before then ?
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden

errrrr.........

5, 6, 7, 8 - Steps
  • mark130273

errrrr.........

5, 6, 7, 8 - Steps
    and a big fan of steps hey !!!:tongue_smilie:
  • Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Placebo- Slave to the Wage
    REM- Daysleeper
    Roy Orbison- Working for the Man ?

(though those are really more general white-collar work then specifically accounting)
  • A-Vic

errrrr.........

5, 6, 7, 8 - Steps

:scared: the thought if iron maiden doing a steps number *shudders*
  • A-Vic
    a-vic .....guess youve had that question before then ?

No i just like music and money of course :lol:
  • mark130273
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    No i just like music and money of course :lol:

but im sure you would rather have more money than more music....

just an off thought has anyone seen the kids programme on the disney channel called "imagination movers"

thy have a friend who they call an accountant and he wearsa grey suit grey tie and works in a grey office and they make him out to be boring.....

now is this steriotyping or WHAT ?
Privacy Policy