When will I be an accountant?

Options
fireitup
fireitup Registered Posts: 19 New contributor 🐸
Maybe getting ahead of myself here but having done the AAT Certificate, currently doing the AAT Advanced Certificate and eventually the AAT Diploma and assuming these courses all go well, is their further studies still before I can call myself an accountant?

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    fireitup wrote: »
    Maybe getting ahead of myself here but having done the AAT Certificate, currently doing the AAT Advanced Certificate and eventually the AAT Diploma and assuming these courses all go well, is their further studies still before I can call myself an accountant?

Yep.

After AAT i'm going on to do ICAS and become a chartered accountant.
  • fireitup
    Options
    Hi,
    yeah I thought an AAT Diploma would fall short of that title.

When though, would you consider someone competent enough, as far as academic qualifications go, to offer to do year end accounts for, say, a sole trader?
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    fireitup wrote: »
    Hi,
    yeah I thought an AAT Diploma would fall short of that title.

When though, would you consider someone competent enough, as far as academic qualifications go, to offer to do year end accounts for, say, a sole trader?

Anyone (regardless of qualification or otherwise) can call themselves an accountant, some can back it up with qualifications and experience, others can't! Also, associate members of the Institute of Financial Accountants offically call themselves accountants, yet this qualification is of similar content/standing as the AAT qualification.

With regards to offering year end accounts service, its more about experience and training than qualification. AAT, ACCA, CIMA etc cover the issues involved but doing it in a classroom and exam is completely different from reality.

Neil
  • fireitup
    Options
    This is a whole new change of career for me and I'm just trying to guage how many years of study I'm going to need and how much minimum experience I should have before I can put into practice what I have learnt and what I'm going to learn and ultimately take a job with a decent wage.

Currently doing some voluntary work in a procurements dept, so that should help pad out the old CV.
Privacy Policy